XBOX AND PS4 GAMERS BEWARE TV DAMAGE

Found 14th Dec 2017
Hi guys! For years and since being a kid I was told not to play a games console on big TVs and about "inner tube damage on large TVs. Well for a few hours now I've had my setting on general and not "auto" where it would automatically change to "game
Mode" and I'm worried it's done damage I found this on the Internet and wondering if it's true?

"Screen burn-in can damage displays that rely on a phosphor coating on the screen ? plasma TVs and rear-projection CRT-based TVs are the most vulnerable to burn-in, and it's less likely, but possible with direct-view CRT TVs. Burn-in can occur when a static image such as a video game, stock or news ticker, or station logo remains on-screen for an extended period (generally several hours). These images can become etched into the phosphor coating, leaving faint but permanent impressions on-screen. In recent years, makers of plasma TVs have refined the panel technology and included anti-burn-in features which substantially reduce the chances of burn-in. Plasma owners can also help to prevent burn-in by properly adjusting the TV's brightness and contrast settings when the TV is new."
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
This is like someone finding out Elvis died and being surprised in 2017.
14 Comments
Screen burn asthe been around for ages, how have you only just learned about it ... its not just games consoles... any still image on the tv if left too long will burn into your tv... will be there forever and ever =(
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 15th Dec 2017
I wouldnt worry, game mode just turns off image-processing features (e.g., smoothing, sharpening, motion-enhancement) that add delay to each frame, which is not a problem for non-interactive video but is a problem for interactive games. All the "Make your DVDs look like Blu-Ray!" features that TV-makers advertise are actually problems for games and need to be turned off, hence Game Mode. it wont prevent screen burn
4Real201615 m ago

I remember the green screens on the old cash machines about 25 years ago having screen burn
4Real201617 m ago

Not really, when I posted this question a few months back was told "not to be so stupid as this doesn't happen and never has"
ding27 m ago

I wouldnt worry, game mode just turns off image-processing features (e.g., …I wouldnt worry, game mode just turns off image-processing features (e.g., smoothing, sharpening, motion-enhancement) that add delay to each frame, which is not a problem for non-interactive video but is a problem for interactive games. All the "Make your DVDs look like Blu-Ray!" features that TV-makers advertise are actually problems for games and need to be turned off, hence Game Mode. it wont prevent screen burn

Thanks. So what ur saving is having it on "game" isn't going to make a difference? Will it help if there's a screen saver setting?
machomansavage2 m ago

Thanks. So what ur saving is having it on "game" isn't going to make a …Thanks. So what ur saving is having it on "game" isn't going to make a difference? Will it help if there's a screen saver setting?

Yep just dont have it on pause for too long and have a screen saver turned on
ding5 m ago

Yep just dont have it on pause for too long and have a screen saver turned …Yep just dont have it on pause for too long and have a screen saver turned on

Thanks! Can't believe this still happenes in 2017. So if u left your iPhone unlocked without Sleep on. Would smart phones screens have "burn in" ??
I sometimes get it a bit on my lgg5 if i have used the sat nav for a long period but it fades once it has cooled down a bit so i dont think its full screen burn
ding22 m ago

I sometimes get it a bit on my lgg5 if i have used the sat nav for a long …I sometimes get it a bit on my lgg5 if i have used the sat nav for a long period but it fades once it has cooled down a bit so i dont think its full screen burn

Never seen it on modern day tech tbh. So if I paused a game but turned to off would it burn in then technically is this doing this than have a screen saver?
machomansavage6 h, 49 m ago

Never seen it on modern day tech tbh. So if I paused a game but turned to …Never seen it on modern day tech tbh. So if I paused a game but turned to off would it burn in then technically is this doing this than have a screen saver?

Can anyone translate this to English?
You can use a screen saver. Either the PS4 or the TV if it has the option.

Mine is set after one minute. Waste of electricity if you leave a tv/PS4 on for half an hour while you’re away - stick it on sleep or turn it off.

Not expensive but why contribute to the CO2 footprint?
machomansavage10 h, 33 m ago

Not really, when I posted this question a few months back was told "not to …Not really, when I posted this question a few months back was told "not to be so stupid as this doesn't happen and never has"

What do you think a screen saver is for on a PC? the name is a dead give away. Screen burn has been around for as long as CRT.

If you have an LCD or IPS screen then you don't need to worry you wont get screen burn, screen burn could be a problem for CRT, Plasma and now OLED. Actual screen burn is very rare with modern screens, what might be mistaken for screen burn is actually image retention, it's the same thing but it's not permanent, it will fade over time, most plasma's had some form of screen wash to clear image retention.

Any protection a screen might have will be some form of image shift, which basically moves the whole image around the screen very slowly, it's called orbiter on my plasma.

As long as your viewing varied content on your screen, you don't need to worry about screen burn, you would need to have static image on screen for a very long time to get actual burn in with modern screens.

Definitely watch out with phones that have OLED screens, as the majority of the time it's showing the same image day in day out.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 15th Dec 2017
machomansavage11 h, 18 m ago

Thanks. So what ur saving is having it on "game" isn't going to make a …Thanks. So what ur saving is having it on "game" isn't going to make a difference? Will it help if there's a screen saver setting?

just turn the tv off if your not using it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants