Found 2nd Dec 2016
Xbox in various hard drive sizes and different model numbers - i presume there is budget entry and premium along with game and controller bundling which just makes it all the more confusing. can anyone please explain. i am considering an xbox one for a bit of light gaming (no spring chicken) and also want to use it for blu-ray discs.

I don't want to overspend unecessarily but wouldnt want to forego benefits of a better model/bundle either. TIA.

17 Comments

I would say if you have a 4k tv then go for the xbox one s, if not then the older model will be enough with a 500gb hard drive if only for light gaming, there have been deals for a new xbox one (older model) as cheap as £150 with a game but a lot of them have sold out as sellers looking to get rid of older model in favour of selling the xbox one s instead

what is your budget ??

they only premium version which is coming next year is the scorpio which is like the ps4 pro but better.

Xbox One - entry lever, can play Blu-ray.
Xbox One S - updated version, can play 4K Blu-Ray, have HDR, can upscale games to 4K.

If you don't have a 4K tv and you don't plan to buy one in a few months, then I think you will be happy with older Xbox One. Of course everything depends because you can find better deals with Xbox One S.

Original Poster

Thanks so much

Yes, have a good TV KS7000 series Samsung and would want to take advantage of that. This is really useful feedback. thanks

So it has to be Xbox S and am I right thinking the 1tb is better merely for downloading games via a MS Xbox account as opposed to buying the disc? Is there real incentives for paying for an online account? I doubt i will be fast enough to compete with online gamers. oO

I dont think i would be looking for a super model Paul. (scorpio) sounds expensive.

Please go on.

Go for the One S, newer model, looks nicer/smaller, newer tech, newer controller, future proof yourself for a few extra quid.

Original Poster

zippypratt

Go for the One S, newer model, looks nicer/smaller, newer tech, newer … Go for the One S, newer model, looks nicer/smaller, newer tech, newer controller, future proof yourself for a few extra quid.

That's the one i will go for thank you.

is there any benefit for a lame slow gamer signing up for their Xbox Live service?

Original Poster

Lastly one important question.

Over the last few weeks, what has been the best deal for the Xbox One S with a single controller please. Just want to gauge future deals.

gibblesuk

That's the one i will go for thank you. is there any benefit for a lame … That's the one i will go for thank you. is there any benefit for a lame slow gamer signing up for their Xbox Live service?

Yes you'll get 4 free games every month, 2 native Xbox One games and 2 Xbox360 games (that are backward compatible so will run on the Xbox One)

Original Poster

paulj48

Yes you'll get 4 free games every month, 2 native Xbox One games and 2 … Yes you'll get 4 free games every month, 2 native Xbox One games and 2 Xbox360 games (that are backward compatible so will run on the Xbox One)

Very useful info - thank you. Hence i guess the beauty of having the 1tb version over the 500mb.

gibblesuk

Very useful info - thank you. Hence i guess the beauty of having the 1tb … Very useful info - thank you. Hence i guess the beauty of having the 1tb version over the 500mb.

No just get 500gb version and add an external hard drive in the future.

Whether you are digital or disc it takes up the same hard drive space.

gibblesuk

Very useful info - thank you. Hence i guess the beauty of having the 1tb … Very useful info - thank you. Hence i guess the beauty of having the 1tb version over the 500mb.

yes but depends on how fast your internet line is. Once the games have been 'purchased' for zero cost the games stay attached to your gamer tag (whilst a Gold member) and can be deleted and re downloaded as many times as you want, there's no requirement to download them at the point of purchase and always keep them on the hard drive.

get a ps4

funjaby

get a ps4

Can that play 4k blu ray discs?

johnwillowlfc

Can that play 4k blu ray discs?

that wasn't the ops requirement

paulj48

that wasn't the ops requirement

I know, it was just a jab at a trolling comment

Original Poster

I opted for the Xbox for the Blu Ray ability plus i sorta had the feeling the PS was more geared to the younger set? maybe misguided?

Original Poster

paulj48

yes but depends on how fast your internet line is. Once the games have … yes but depends on how fast your internet line is. Once the games have been 'purchased' for zero cost the games stay attached to your gamer tag (whilst a Gold member) and can be deleted and re downloaded as many times as you want, there's no requirement to download them at the point of purchase and always keep them on the hard drive.

Thank you. All new and news to me - really helpful.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247572
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769251
    3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4711605
    4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710974

See more discussions