Expired

xbox console & gamertag Ban after downloading FREE games

Found 29th Sep 2013
At hotukdeals we love a bargain. That's why we come here. Over the past few weeks in the freebies section there have been post for free games on foreign Xbox market place(Oman, Morocco, Bosnia, Russia etc)

The process was no more difficult than setting up a standard Xbox account. No software or hardware extras.

Lots of people have done this, and have been doing so for years without a problem. Over the past few days Microsoft have been swinging the ban hammer ALOT because of this. Initially it was thought that maybe said accounts had engaged in other "violations".

Turns out this isn't the case and is directly linked to downloading the recent free games. It was a pricing error unbeknown to microsoft. And wasn't plugged for nearly a week. I imagine the uptake has been high.

So if anybody who has downloaded these free games received the dreaded console and/or gamer tag ban on here. Post your stories please. Do you think Microsoft's reaction is OTT or do we deserve everything we get?
Community Updates
142 Comments
Glad I gave my two 360's away then.
Have you been banned?
I've had my console and gamer tag perma band. Been on live for 8 years. I hadn't heard of this until it was posted on here. Was blissfully unaware of the implications. Swayed my next gen decision.(_;)
Pleased i didn't partake in downloading theses. Too good to be true and i learnt my lesson when i got banned for the same thing a few years back, but it was a free avatar tshirt.

Edited by: "lastlaststar" 29th Sep 2013
Did they email you, or do you get a notification when logging on?
lastlaststar

Pleased i didn't partake in downloading theses. Too good to be true and i … Pleased i didn't partake in downloading theses. Too good to be true and i learnt my lesson when i got banned for the same thing but it was a free avatar tshirt.

Really?! A T-shirt?! Wish you'd have posted that comment when the deal was live. Lol
What did the email say?
Could you post it here?
haha unlucky!
http://replygif.net/i/745.gif
BigBoyRoy

Really?! A T-shirt?! Wish you'd have posted that comment when the deal … Really?! A T-shirt?! Wish you'd have posted that comment when the deal was live. Lol

Yup a T-shirt. It never even crossed my mind they would ban for free games on other accounts..
miikeyblue

I was on my Xbox and it kept signing me out. Then I had a message pop up on screen saying my Xbox was banned until 9999. Was shocked but pleased my main account was OK. Within half an hour an email slid in saying my main account had been perma banned for theft.

Still trying to get my head around stealing free games. It was there error. Bet the IT department aren't getting there **** chewed.
lost an Xbox in the 2009 banhammer just flash the drive and download free games that cost 10p per disk
gotta laugh, i mean all these people they are constantly banning they are only gonna go one place.....i.e the playstation,are they not.
MS seem too eager to ban people. Like the GTA 5 bans ( if true) , they shouldn't ban you if you receive &play your game before release day (ie Amazon)
Wow. Assholes.
I heart Sony. Now that'd be a cool Avatar tee.
greatest666

What did the email say?Could you post it here?

Notification of Permanent Suspension: Marketplace theft

[ DO NOT REPLY to this email address. It is not monitored. ]

This email is to notify you that your Xbox LIVE account privileges have been permanently suspended due to marketplace theft.

The conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to:

Duplication of item purchase history
Attempted Microsoft Points fraud
Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes
Your conduct was brought to the attention of the LIVE Enforcement Team through complaints filed by other Xbox LIVE users or in the course of our operation of the service. The LIVE Enforcement Team has reviewed the complaints and other evidence regarding your conduct and determined it violates the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and/or Code of Conduct. Because your conduct is in violation, the LIVE Enforcement Team has issued a permanent suspension.

During your suspension, you will not be able to log into Xbox LIVE. Your Xbox LIVE privileges will not be reinstated.

Customer Support is not able to modify or provide any further details about your suspension.

Microsoft expects that all customers abide by the Code of Conduct. The Code of Conduct provides guidelines for appropriate behavior while using the service.

I've tried to talk to the enforcement team but you can only contact them on the forums and even then they just send you a copy and paste reply of the above. Jerks...so much power, so little responsibility.
miikeyblue

The conduct that caused this ban may include, but is not limited to:- … The conduct that caused this ban may include, but is not limited to:- Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing- Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes or marketplace content- Repeated enforcement actions

Have had a look on xbox.com, quite a few of the 'why was my console banned' questions being answered with

Man im gunna flip if they ban mine.
Has anyone had it reviewed and the decision reversed?
raptorcigs

Has anyone had it reviewed and the decision reversed?

I'd love to know this too....although saying that the enforcement team never get it wrong...according to Microsoft support.:{
I've literally just renewed my gold. I'll genuinely lose my sht if I get banned
wasn't this on watchdog some time back?
yep

forums.xbox.com/en-…spx

Edited by: "_Rappy_" 29th Sep 2013
The only thing worse than an xbox live ban hammer is a hukd ban hammer.

raptorcigs

wasn't this on watchdog some time … wasn't this on watchdog some time back?yephttp://forums.xbox.com/en-gb/uk_general_xbox_discussion/f/229/t/96839.aspx

Talking of watchdog, I've sent them this in an attempt for them to follow up as they seemed to get results last time. Just think of all that negative publicity when you've got a new console coming out.

ssl.bbc.co.uk/pro…act

Might not amount to much, but worth a shot.
Elton Chong

The only thing worse than an xbox live ban hammer is a hukd ban hammer.

man get a life.....
raptorcigs

wasn't this on watchdog some time … wasn't this on watchdog some time back?yephttp://forums.xbox.com/en-gb/uk_general_xbox_discussion/f/229/t/96839.aspx

That was when consoles were banned by mistake.
There is no mistake this time.
greatest666

That was when consoles were banned by mistake.There is no mistake this … That was when consoles were banned by mistake.There is no mistake this time.

i wouldn't be to sure about that,nothing is infallible especially in today's digital technology departments mistakes are always being found......alt,ctrl,del.
greatest666

That was when consoles were banned by mistake.There is no mistake this … That was when consoles were banned by mistake.There is no mistake this time.

true indeed. we all downloaded the games to begin with so have to face up.
mind you the best game I have got out of this has cost me naff all and I didn't even have to download it,
it gets my heart racing everytime I turn the xbox on Russian roulette with my GT lol
among others:windows me,windows vista and windows 8 (worm tin opened)
greatest666

I just feel there reaction is so extreme. A week ban, remove the licences on the downloaded games then get the customer to delete them. If caught again then issue the ban. But to receive the ban on the account and the console, surely one or the other.

I'm getting accused of theft but they've disabled my console and nicked my account along with everything that goes with(recently renewed annual account & balance) hmmm double standards?!

I just feel in the eyes of the law they've over stepped too much..
incase anyone doesn't already know if you want to find out if you have been banned before signing in on your xbox just sign in to your account online am pretty sure it gets done at the same time
deleted193256
BigBoyRoy

I just feel in the eyes of the law they've over stepped too much..

I feel in the eyes of the law they havent done enough, it is straight up fraud and should be punished as such
thegroutch

I feel in the eyes of the law they havent done enough, it is straight up … I feel in the eyes of the law they havent done enough, it is straight up fraud and should be punished as such

Really, how could the possibly know I'm not a well travelled businessman who can't live without his Xbox.:p

Seriously though. Are you suggesting that if this case went to court I'd have the book thrown at me. I can imagine it now:-

"Due to an error on the Microsoft servers, human or otherwise my client was able to buy games for free without having to do anything remotely criminal."

Judge:- Case closed, now give this man a free xbone and live subscription to compensate for his anguish:p
Just hope the enforcement team aren't hard at it again tomorrow.
D_G

Man im gunna flip if they ban mine.

Getting banned just when GTA Online begins oO
With all these bans methinks I should use my account credit up rapidly and download the games to my Ex box
Neogaf are having a good old scream about it and True Achievements.

I've had my main gamertag banned and my console and I'm taking it firmly on the chin. I never thought for a second it would be something I'd get banned for because there was such a bonhomie in the thread about getting the free stuff and I'm assuming that Microsoft were having to pay the devs every time a game got downloaded. When that banning message popped up I thought Ah... fair cop, oh well and went to bed. I got Rayman, Flashback and WRC Rally. I did start downloading Injustice and then realised I'd never play it so cancelled it. Rayman was the only game I played on my main account.

Please could we keep this thread about bans / no bans and not turn it into a mud slinging contents and morality pieces, or even start a separate thread for that. I'd like to get some estimate of banning scale and percentage without the visual noise. This place has been great and really stiff-upper-lip about it and I haven't come across anybody snivvling, whining or preaching.

For me the console ban is going to be useful because I hate achievments. It means I can start every new game on a separate tag, unlock all the achievements with Le Fluffie or whatever it is you use then ditch the tag when I've finished it.
I've seen reports now that some people are getting banned for using the link that was available to get month after month of free Xbox live on US accounts. That was a link directly on xbox.com and needed no jiggery-pokery so it's a bit harsh if there are bans for that.
I think at this stage Microsoft have realised the Xbone is going to be a complete flop and are looking to scupper the whole project before they lose too much money. It's the only rational explanation for all these terrible decisions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants