xbox console modding suggestions, your input

I wanted to install a USB port in my xbox - Job done thanks to Rediron

I was then going to install a wifi dongle but have since changed my mind and I am going to install an access point inside the xbox.

I have installed a 400gb.

I'm now wanting to install an operating system

122 Comments

imho the best way is to fit a modchip
i use the xecutor 2.6
then you can use slayer's auto installer to install everything else
update the xbmc and then you're done. i also fit a larger drive at the same time

Original Poster

wolf359;2739491

imho the best way is to fit a modchipi use the xecutor 2.6then you can … imho the best way is to fit a modchipi use the xecutor 2.6then you can use slayer's auto installer to install everything elseupdate the xbmc and then you're done. i also fit a larger drive at the same time

looking for a soft mod solution, but thank you for your input

I don't think you can upgrade the firmware on the Xbox, ]here's a guide for softmodding anyway

As for wifi it would only work within Linux, Linux is easy to install and there are plenty of Linux for xbox distro's floating about on the internet. It's easy to install an USB port inside your Xbox as that's what I have with my mine, if you really want to go down that route i'll open mine up and take some pictures and make a little guide for you to do it.

As for the eeprom again that's easy to get but you need to have successfully soft modded your xbox first

Original Poster

RedIron;2739536

I don't think you can upgrade the firmware on the Xbox, ]here's a guide … I don't think you can upgrade the firmware on the Xbox, ]here's a guide for softmodding anywayAs for wifi it would only work within Linux, Linux is easy to install and there are plenty of Linux for xbox distro's floating about on the internet. It's easy to install an USB port inside your Xbox as that's what I have with my mine, if you really want to go down that route i'll open mine up and take some pictures and make a little guide for you to do it.As for the eeprom again that's easy to get but you need to have successfully soft modded your xbox first

photo's and guide would be good to have rediron :thumbsup::

fwibble;2739559

photo's and guide would be good to have rediron :thumbsup::

I'll get on to it now, it may take me a while though, I take take it your pretty handy inside a console an know how to solder?

Original Poster

i'm a novice solderer, don't even know how to tin it correctly, however i do know how to gut consoles and restore them

fwibble;2739629

i'm a novice solderer, don't even know how to tin it correctly, however i … i'm a novice solderer, don't even know how to tin it correctly, however i do know how to gut consoles and restore them

You don't really need to solder it anyway, it's just a bit more professional, insulation tape is fine it's only basic soldering anyway (wire to wire)

Original Poster

should be ok with that then

Here it is;

Step one, open the Xbox, remove the plastic tray that holds the Hard Drive in, the DVD drive can stay in

Step two locate control port 3 & 4, obviously it will be where you plug the 3rd ad 4th controllers in, this will be held in by two screws and connected to the board via one connector, remove all of these and take the port out leaving you ]this

Step 3 on either port cut the wires closest to the control port leaving you ]this

Step 4 find a USB cable that has a female end on it, cut this so all your left with is a female USB Port and and a length of USB Cable

Step 5 Strip back the wires on the USB port and where the control port used to be, you should have 4 wires on your USB cable and 5 on the Xbox, you can ignore the yellow cable on the Xbox and just use the remaining 4 wires. You should strip all of these back to about 1cm

Step 6 You'll now notice that the 4 cables you have left on the control port colour match those on the USB cable, depending which you prefer either twist the matching colours together or solder them, either way once done make sure each connection is wrapped up in insulation tape. When all 4 are done I like to tape them together so it's nice and tidy but that's optional.

]Loose wires
]Wires with insulation tape
]All taped together nice and tidy

Note - for the above pictures you'll notice I only have half of the control port, that is because I remove control port 4 so I can have a USB adapter at the front, this is optional and i'll come to that in bit

That's it done you can now connect the control port back up and you will have a working USB port, of course though now you want to put it somewhere so your Xbox goes back together nicely;

Your have two options here, my favourite is to remove control port four altogether and your female USB connection will fit nicely inside that hole meaning on the front of your Xbox you have 3 control ports and the 4th port is a USB port. Like ]this

Your other option is to leave control port 4 in place and run the USB cable nicely up the side of the Xbox into the Hard Drive tray. Seeing as you want to have an internal wireless adapter this is the option you want. Your choices here are dependent on the size of your wireless adapter, I only have an old D link one which is quite chunky so i'm going to put mine in the space between the front of the Xbox and the Hard Drive tray. If you have a smaller adapter it ill fit nicely behind the Hard drive.

]Here's the wireless adapter just sitting on the DVD drive

]And tucked away nicely
]
Or how I have mine

You do have a few other options here, the first is that you don't actually have to lose a control port, if when you cut the wires on the control port you cut them in the middle you can then strip back both sides aswell as the USB cable and then join all 3 ends together rather than just the two. I don't bother with this as I don't have 4 friends, well not 4 who I play the Xbox with anyway and I like my USB port at the front.

The second is there is nothing stopping you having a USB cable on each control port so if you wanted to you could have one internal port for you wireless adapter and one in control port 4. You can use USB hubs with the Xbox so if you have an external port like mine you can connect that to hub and connect up a USB mouse and keyboard through that.

I think that's everything, sorry for the bad photo's and questions feel free to ask :thumbsup:

RedIron;2739826

I'm just doing the guide now, I don't have a another female USB cable to … I'm just doing the guide now, I don't have a another female USB cable to show you with but it's easy enought to explain that bit anyway

if you can get the pics i can incorporate into my guide i made :thumbsup:

save ya writing a whole guide :whistling:

faevilangel;2740111

if you can get the pics i can incorporate into my guide i made … if you can get the pics i can incorporate into my guide i made :thumbsup:save ya writing a whole guide :whistling:

To late you posted that whilst I posted my guide above :roll:

Feel free to use them, my xbox is open at the moment so if you want anymore let me know

RedIron;2740331

To late you posted that whilst I posted my guide above :roll:Feel free to … To late you posted that whilst I posted my guide above :roll:Feel free to use them, my xbox is open at the moment so if you want anymore let me know

thanks, will make my guide look a bit more proffessional :thumbsup:

faevilangel;2740381

thanks, will make my guide look a bit more proffessional :thumbsup:

No problems, is your guide on here? Mind if I have a read?

Sorry the pictures aren't the best quality, I don't get on with the camera I have

Original Poster

thanks for the guide, i will see how i get on, don't think i have a usb cable kicking around at the moment, will leave rep for you.

also is ]this the splinter cell i need

fwibble;2740459

thanks for the guide, i will see how i get on, don't think i have a usb … thanks for the guide, i will see how i get on, don't think i have a usb cable kicking around at the moment, will leave rep for you.also is ]this the splinter cell i need

Yes that's it, if you can't get hold of one let me know and i'll lend you mine

As for the USB cable poundland sell a USB hub which comes with the cable you need :thumbsup:

Original Poster

ok cheers, i may have trip to darlington, tomorrow or next week some time :thumbsup:

RedIron;2740389

No problems, is your guide on here? Mind if I have a read?Sorry the … No problems, is your guide on here? Mind if I have a read?Sorry the pictures aren't the best quality, I don't get on with the camera I have

its on a website, but can't put it here cos its self promotion :whistling: will pm ya link when pics are up

i didnt have this tutorial on there, must have been another, i have added your tutorial.... you have a website i can link to give ya credit :thumbsup:

i will need to get of a wireless adaptor but im gonna do this mod along with the usb port mod i found it xbox scene

edit: fwibble do ya want a link to my guide to help ya mod the xbox ?

faevilangel;2740590

its on a website, but can't put it here cos its self promotion … its on a website, but can't put it here cos its self promotion :whistling: will pm ya link when pics are upi didnt have this tutorial on there, must have been another, i have added your tutorial.... you have a website i can link to give ya credit :thumbsup:i will need to get of a wireless adaptor but im gonna do this mod along with the usb port mod i found it xbox scene

No I don't have a website, you can take full credit for the guide, as it doesn't bother me either way I was just doing it for fwibble

PM me that link anyway once you've done it and i'll have a look :thumbsup:

RedIron;2740625

No I don't have a website, you can take full credit for the guide, as it … No I don't have a website, you can take full credit for the guide, as it doesn't bother me either way I was just doing it for fwibblePM me that link anyway once you've done it and i'll have a look :thumbsup:

ok i have put a statement : this tutorial was written by rediron: as i don't take credit for something i didn't do :thumbsup:

Original Poster

thanks guys, Rediron, if i remember I'll take some pics whilst doing it, using my N95, and take some clearer pictures, once I do them I'll pm you if you'd like to update your post. Sunday at the latest i'd think.

faevilangel, you can send me your link via pm if you like

faevilangel;2740657

ok i have put a statement : this tutorial was written by rediron: as i … ok i have put a statement : this tutorial was written by rediron: as i don't take credit for something i didn't do :thumbsup:

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

fwibble;2740662

thanks guys, Rediron, if i remember I'll take some pics whilst doing it, … thanks guys, Rediron, if i remember I'll take some pics whilst doing it, using my N95, and take some clearer pictures, once I do them I'll pm you if you'd like to update your post. Sunday at the latest i'd think.faevilangel, you can send me your link via pm if you like

Yeah that would be good if you remember, don't worry about it too much though

If you have any problems when doing it feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to help :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I'm wanting to keep the ports in tact. I'm thinking of using one of these

http://img.thomasnet.com/pad/1270265/01270265_230495.jpg

if i were, would I put two wires in one end of each socket, for example controller wire 1 and usb wire 1 in socket 1, controller wire 2 and usb wire 2 in socket 2... so on... then in the other end plug the correct cable in the corresponding socket

fwibble;2740820

I'm wanting to keep the ports in tact. I'm thinking of using one of … I'm wanting to keep the ports in tact. I'm thinking of using one of theseif i were, would I put two wires in one end of each socket, for example controller wire 1 and usb wire 1 in socket 1, controller wire 2 and usb wire 2 in socket 2... so on... then in the other end plug the correct cable in the corresponding socket

Yes you can use that, so you would end up like this;

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/540/picpicqa2.jpg

Original Poster

cheers mate

Original Poster

now looking to install an operating system, at the moment trying to create a g partition

fwibble;2863884

now looking to install an operating system, at the moment trying to … now looking to install an operating system, at the moment trying to create a g partition

what operating system ?? don't think it has enough ram to run any microsoft **** so would have to be a linux system......

i have found 2 that work on the xbox -- xbox linux xbox-linux.org/wik…age & Xebian xbox-linux.org/wik…ian ....

they will tell you how to install it :thumbsup:

i found info you can install xp on the xbox but its so slow & not recommended...... best to go with linux

Banned

Interesting.....

Why would you want to run Linux on the Xbox? (given the lack of RAM)

I'm guessing that due to its age the USB controller will be 1.1 ;-).

Hopefully the modding website you say you have is this one console-modder.co.uk/oth…tml

Either that, or you are just stealing the guides

beelzebub;2864328

Interesting.....Why would you want to run Linux on the Xbox? (given the … Interesting.....Why would you want to run Linux on the Xbox? (given the lack of RAM)I'm guessing that due to its age the USB controller will be 1.1 ;-).

it doesnt come with a usb controller, you install one for a mod :-D

running linux is fun & it can be used as a basic pc (e.g. download content to the hard drive)

peodude;2864345

Hopefully the modding website you say you have is this one … Hopefully the modding website you say you have is this one http://www.console-modder.co.uk/others.htmlEither that, or you are just stealing the guides

all the guides not written by me are written with the authors name e.g. rediron wrote the wifi & usb guide

Banned

faevilangel;2864352

it doesnt come with a usb controller, you install one for a mod :-D … it doesnt come with a usb controller, you install one for a mod :-D running linux is fun & it can be used as a basic pc (e.g. download content to the hard drive)

If you're adding a USB port by cutting wires from a controller port then obviously it has a USB controller :). (I checked the Xbox wiki, confirmed 1.1 = slooooow)

I'm not sure what the typical soft-mod for the original Xbox consists of as I've never owned one, is it based on Linux or is it native homebrew?

beelzebub;2864382

If you're adding a USB port by cutting wires from a controller port then … If you're adding a USB port by cutting wires from a controller port then obviously it has a USB controller :). (I checked the Xbox wiki, confirmed 1.1 = slooooow)I'm not sure what the typical soft-mod for the original Xbox consists of as I've never owned one, is it based on Linux or is it native homebrew?

ah i didnt know that

the soft mod is a customised files entered onto the xbox ....... easy to do ....... use the links peodude gave, thats my tutorials on how easy it is ;-)

Original Poster

found a wiki guide for linux, so used that, come across another obstacle which is i don't have a usb keyboard gonna chop one of my old cables in hope that i can mash one.

I may not be using a usb port I just messing but for a basic desktop 1.1 should be ok, especially a desktop that has capabilities to run xbox games on a separate partition.

also don't care about the whys of doing this i find it interesting to mess with all the wires and end up with something "unique" as in I made it. I do have a mod site myself, where the guides are all re-typed in my own words.

fwibble;2864423

also don't care about the whys of doing this i find it interesting to … also don't care about the whys of doing this i find it interesting to mess with all the wires and end up with something "unique" as in I made it. I do have a mod site myself, where the guides are all re-typed in my own words.

well said :thumbsup:

it sounds v interesting! hope it goes well.

Banned

If Game come good with the £9.99 Xbox I'll be modding it on arrival.. I bought it mostly due to the fact that I've never played, owned or seen one in action (can you believe that?).

At the moment I use a soft mod'd PS2 for SD XviD playback and the PS3 for HD content.

Original Poster

i got one for £5.00 off ebay, gutted that i missed the game thread, all sold out by the time i found out... have 2 xbox's here one soft modded and one untouched

fwibble;2864423

found a wiki guide for linux, so used that, come across another obstacle … found a wiki guide for linux, so used that, come across another obstacle which is i don't have a usb keyboard gonna chop one of my old cables in hope that i can mash one.I may not be using a usb port I just messing but for a basic desktop 1.1 should be ok, especially a desktop that has capabilities to run xbox games on a separate partition.also don't care about the whys of doing this i find it interesting to mess with all the wires and end up with something "unique" as in I made it. I do have a mod site myself, where the guides are all re-typed in my own words.

thats why im doing it....... gonna make a few unique mods & try to have an xbox which can do everything :-D
i love taking pc's apart and changing bits so wasn't too long before i moved on to consoles

im gonna find a cheap xbox360 and have a go with that :-D

beelzebub;2864442

If Game come good with the £9.99 Xbox I'll be modding it on arrival.. I … If Game come good with the £9.99 Xbox I'll be modding it on arrival.. I bought it mostly due to the fact that I've never played, owned or seen one in action (can you believe that?).At the moment I use a soft mod'd PS2 for SD XviD playback and the PS3 for HD content.

how hard is it to mod a ps2? my brother wants a modded oen so could be fun for me to mess with it :-D
fwibble;2864452

i got one for £5.00 off ebay, gutted that i missed the game thread, all … i got one for £5.00 off ebay, gutted that i missed the game thread, all sold out by the time i found out... have 2 xbox's here one soft modded and one untouched

i missed the game thread too all locals sold out but picked mine up for £20 with 11 games from cash converters
and i found my brothers old one in back of cupboard :-D

Original Poster

faevilangel;2864454

thats why im doing it....... gonna make a few unique mods & try to have … thats why im doing it....... gonna make a few unique mods & try to have an xbox which can do everything :-D i love taking pc's apart and changing bits so wasn't too long before i moved on to consolesim gonna find a cheap xbox360 and have a go with that :-D

I wouldn't want to mess with any wiring inside a 360 because of how they are, ie ring of death, i have got a dremel like tool, and some clear acrylic to one day do a case mod, but don't know when.

Would like to keep this thread for original xbox mods though

Original Poster

faevilangel;2864470

how hard is it to mod a ps2? my brother wants a modded oen so could be … how hard is it to mod a ps2? my brother wants a modded oen so could be fun for me to mess with it :-Di missed the game thread too all locals sold out but picked mine up for £20 with 11 games from cash convertersand i found my brothers old one in back of cupboard :-D

there are various ps2 mods, when i had mine i used the swap magic mod with the ps2 slimline, was ok, worked for what i wanted it for, but by now there should be better mods available
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Customs charged too much for a little item!66
    2. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware34
    3. Multi fuel stove deals11
    4. Memory foam mattress topper56

See more discussions