Xbox for clueless mother

Found 23rd Jan
so until now we have survived with just a couple of old ps3 in the house
trying to work out what I need to buy for my son's bday to upgrade to an Xbox one. do I need one of the new ones or will an older model do for an 8 year old? I know I need to pay for live, do they expire if I see a deal come up on it?

thanks in advance for any insights as I'm completely lost ha
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments
I would say any XBox One would suffice but if you want new then that means XBox One S 500GB as the entry level. Personally, I wouldn't get Live for an 8yo - most games targeted at under 10's will be fine offline (Lego games, Minecraft) and there are too many idiots on Live. Even if you block voice chat he will still get weirdos sending messages.
Wouldn't bother with an Xbox One X for that age, just bear in mind that a 500Gb model could potentially fill up quite fast if you install the games onto the hard drive. I have just purchased a 1Tb model S a couple of weeks ago and it is already nearly half full.

Xbox live deals on here all the time, DO NOT BUY IN THE SHOPS!!!
Xbox one s is what you want. Dnt think they sell older models. You can get a bundle with a game for around 200-230
Original Poster
Thanks all.
I might put off live to start with and see how he goes.
A basic xbox one will do the trick you can pick them up for around £90-£130 second hand + get an external hard drive (you will need one)

live is your own choice, i would get it. Set yourself an account as the main account holder and then put live on your account.
you can create a childs account for your son. He can use Your live account as 3 gamertags can use the same live purchase.
as its a childs account hes very very limited to what he can do.
Caroline_199313 h, 30 m ago

A basic xbox one will do the trick you can pick them up for around …A basic xbox one will do the trick you can pick them up for around £90-£130 second hand + get an external hard drive (you will need one)live is your own choice, i would get it. Set yourself an account as the main account holder and then put live on your account. you can create a childs account for your son. He can use Your live account as 3 gamertags can use the same live purchase. as its a childs account hes very very limited to what he can do.

I would advise against this completely. Its fine in theory, but when your child gets to 16 and it doesnt allow him to play even slightly mature games(FPS for example) and has to create a whole new LIVE account losing his gamerscore, watch it backfire big time.

Just allow him LIVE when you think he is mature enough to know right from wrong and is sensible enough(its different for every child afterall)
Original Poster
kingtreelo14 m ago

I would advise against this completely. Its fine in theory, but when your …I would advise against this completely. Its fine in theory, but when your child gets to 16 and it doesnt allow him to play even slightly mature games(FPS for example) and has to create a whole new LIVE account losing his gamerscore, watch it backfire big time.Just allow him LIVE when you think he is mature enough to know right from wrong and is sensible enough(its different for every child afterall)

I think this is what I'll do after some thought. he currently has online access with his ps3. I monitor it and he knows what he is and isn't allowed to do on it. He will want to be able to play his friends on FIFA and Minecraft etc, he doesn't currently play fps but I'm not naive enough to think I'll keep him off them until 18 lol
BudgetAngel3 h, 59 m ago

I think this is what I'll do after some thought. he currently has online …I think this is what I'll do after some thought. he currently has online access with his ps3. I monitor it and he knows what he is and isn't allowed to do on it. He will want to be able to play his friends on FIFA and Minecraft etc, he doesn't currently play fps but I'm not naive enough to think I'll keep him off them until 18 lol

Yeah, my sons are now 17 and 15, and have had online acocunts since they were around 10 or 11. They arent stupid and always ask(well they have to basically) when they want to buy adult rated games.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions