Xbox Game Pass Ultimate adding Project xCloud in September

Deal editor44
Posted 16th Jul 2020
The gift that keeps on giving, just keeps on giving

From September, all Game Pass Ultimate subscribers will receive access to their games on the go with Project xCloud, all included with their Xbox Game Pass subscription.

3506867.jpg
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscriptions will include support for the Project xCloud game streaming service from this September.

Announced by Head of Xbox, Phil Spencer in a blog post, Game Pass Ultimate members will automatically be entitled to Project xCloud services at no extra cost. It means subscribers can play over 100 included titles on phones and tablets - including the upcoming Halo Infinite upon its release. xCloud game streaming includes cross-saving, meaning you can theoretically play Halo Infinite on a console at home, and pick it back up on your mobile device elsewhere.

A couple of points remain unclear. For a start, it's not totally clear whether the xCloud integration is a full subscription to the upcoming streaming service, or if it applies only to games included in Game Pass. The combined Game Pass Ultimate and xCloud membership will only be available in "supported countries", which also remain unspecified at time of writing.

When asked for comment on both of these points, a Microsoft spokesperson said, “We’ll share specifics as we get closer to launch.”

Project xCloud is Xbox's game streaming service, which will eventually allow users to play Xbox games across multiple, non-Xbox devices using remote servers. After an early xCloud hands-on, we called the service an "impressive first step towards a “portable” rendition of Xbox One that allows you to bring console gaming anywhere."

Community Updates
Misc
44 Comments
Finally, today we’re announcing that this September, in supported countries, we’re bringing Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud together at no additional cost for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With cloud gaming in Game Pass Ultimate, you will be able to play over 100 Xbox Game Pass titles on your phone or tablet. And because Xbox Live connects across devices, you can play along with the nearly 100 million Xbox Live players around the world. So when Halo Infinite launches, you and your friends can play together and immerse yourselves in the Halo universe as Master Chief—anywhere you go and across devices.

[You are the future of gaming]
It all makes sense now. I have a feeling, rumoured cheap and low powered Xbox Lockhart is going to be a streaming focused console. It may play some indie games and old Xbox games locally.
Edited by: "__tman" 16th Jul
So does this mean we won’t need ten tb of storage to install our games on anymore?!?
DigitalKnight16/07/2020 14:51

So does this mean we won’t need ten tb of storage to install our games on a …So does this mean we won’t need ten tb of storage to install our games on anymore?!?

Do people actually do this?

I used to fill a 4TB drive with games, grumbled when I had to delete stuff to make room and then that 60%-70% of stuff I never touched.

I can may be understand those that don't have access to fast broadband, but for a large user base I would have thought buying a smaller drive and only keeping what you actually play is better.
There were rumours this was happening, so glad it actually is! Makes perfect sense, fantastic news. My only concern is that Game Pass will raise prices.
Edited by: "jamie15" 16th Jul
I've had the fun of playing xcloud and console streaming like many others. It's great, but not perfect. I think 5G will see this really take off. Any news on what iPhone users experience will be, last I knew they only got halo.
This pretty much confirms Lockhart will be a digital streaming console, as this will work perfectly with it. If its priced at £299 or less, I think Microsoft may just end up with the edge over Sony in sales this time. We shall have to wait and see!
DigitalKnight16/07/2020 14:51

So does this mean we won’t need ten tb of storage to install our games on a …So does this mean we won’t need ten tb of storage to install our games on anymore?!?

What? 1TB here and never had problems, you can delete games and re-install at a later date you know?
CaptainZero16/07/2020 16:23

This pretty much confirms Lockhart will be a digital streaming console, as …This pretty much confirms Lockhart will be a digital streaming console, as this will work perfectly with it. If its priced at £299 or less, I think Microsoft may just end up with the edge over Sony in sales this time. We shall have to wait and see!

I still think it will have a hard drive though.
Denney_Masters16/07/2020 16:48

I still think it will have a hard drive though.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't. It needs 1TB aswell for game pass games.
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 15:24

Do people actually do this?I used to fill a 4TB drive with games, grumbled …Do people actually do this?I used to fill a 4TB drive with games, grumbled when I had to delete stuff to make room and then that 60%-70% of stuff I never touched. I can may be understand those that don't have access to fast broadband, but for a large user base I would have thought buying a smaller drive and only keeping what you actually play is better.

What are you on about it’s a standard requirement to install the game onto the Xbox internal or external storage otherwise you can’t play it!
DigitalKnight16/07/2020 17:15

What are you on about it’s a standard requirement to install the game onto …What are you on about it’s a standard requirement to install the game onto the Xbox internal or external storage otherwise you can’t play it!

I mean fill a 10TB hard drive with every single game they own.

You asked if we'd need 10TB to install our games and I was just suggesting that do you need to install all your games or jsut the few you play
Edited by: "dipsylalapo" 16th Jul
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 17:16

I mean fill a 10TB hard drive with every single game they own.You asked if …I mean fill a 10TB hard drive with every single game they own.You asked if we'd need 10TB to install our games and I was just suggesting that do you need to install all your games or jsut the few you play

Oh yeah sorry I was being sarcastic lol but I am hoping that it will mean not having to store our games anymore!
CaptainZero16/07/2020 16:23

This pretty much confirms Lockhart will be a digital streaming console, as …This pretty much confirms Lockhart will be a digital streaming console, as this will work perfectly with it. If its priced at £299 or less, I think Microsoft may just end up with the edge over Sony in sales this time. We shall have to wait and see!

If it's streaming only (i.e. No way to install games) 299 is way too much.

Remember all the processing happens in a DC. What exactly does 299 get me?
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 17:20

If it's streaming only (i.e. No way to install games) 299 is way too …If it's streaming only (i.e. No way to install games) 299 is way too much.Remember all the processing happens in a DC. What exactly does 299 get me?

It’s not just for the new console as that won’t launch until November so this is for all existing Xbox users!
DigitalKnight16/07/2020 17:23

It’s not just for the new console as that won’t launch until November so th …It’s not just for the new console as that won’t launch until November so this is for all existing Xbox users!

I'm lost.

I know this isn't specifically for new consoles. I was responding to a comment say that this service confirms Lockhart with that being a streaming only console.
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 17:20

If it's streaming only (i.e. No way to install games) 299 is way too …If it's streaming only (i.e. No way to install games) 299 is way too much.Remember all the processing happens in a DC. What exactly does 299 get me?

I didnt say streaming only. I think it will be as powerful as a One X but more streamlined to work with CloudX better, but with no disc drive
CaptainZero16/07/2020 17:28

I didnt say streaming only. I think it will be as powerful as a One X but …I didnt say streaming only. I think it will be as powerful as a One X but more streamlined to work with CloudX better, but with no disc drive

I feel like this will is what they'll use to push Lockhart. No discs but check out this amazing streaming service we have where you can play your favourite games in 4K/60 (hopefully) without paying through your teeth for a new console.
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 17:26

I'm lost.I know this isn't specifically for new consoles. I was responding …I'm lost.I know this isn't specifically for new consoles. I was responding to a comment say that this service confirms Lockhart with that being a streaming only console.

Me too sorry lol
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 17:47

It's fine we all get excited at times

I read that their is no HDMI pass through on the new consoles so we won’t be able to watch Sky through them anymore which is a massive knock for me as I only have 3 hdmi ports on my tv
Question is, when does the free beta end??
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 16th Jul
Still waiting for an xCloud client for PC...
DigitalKnight16/07/2020 18:18

I read that their is no HDMI pass through on the new consoles so we won’t b …I read that their is no HDMI pass through on the new consoles so we won’t be able to watch Sky through them anymore which is a massive knock for me as I only have 3 hdmi ports on my tv

I feel like that could be because MS want to be seen to be moving away from being we do everything (gaming and media) and shift the focus to gaming
dipsylalapo16/07/2020 19:36

I feel like that could be because MS want to be seen to be moving away … I feel like that could be because MS want to be seen to be moving away from being we do everything (gaming and media) and shift the focus to gaming

But they chose to move into the multi entertainment platform so going back on it now is ridiculous!
MS have now discontinued the One X and One S All Digital Edition

Here
PS gamers get.......nothing like this....but my lad likes the PS
EN1GMA17/07/2020 11:15

PS gamers get.......nothing like this....but my lad likes the PS

You need to pay for Game Pass Ultimate which is more expensive than just Xbox Live, so it's not like it's a freebie.

PlayStation has PS Now, which could eventually come to phones/tablets.
One problem though is game UI is designed for being played on large screens, some games don't translate well to mobile devices.
Is there going to be a free version without needing Game Pass Ultimate, to counter the Stadia free versio??
dipsylalapo17/07/2020 07:55

MS have now discontinued the One X and One S All Digital EditionHere

Surprised they didn’t keep the X and discontinue the One S, when all of the One X consoles sell out what happens then? One X hasn’t even received three years of support
MrMaccieKFC17/07/2020 17:30

Surprised they didn’t keep the X and discontinue the One S, when all of t …Surprised they didn’t keep the X and discontinue the One S, when all of the One X consoles sell out what happens then? One X hasn’t even received three years of support

Yeha a little. The One X and Lockhart are supposed to be on par performance wise so from that respect, it wouldn't make sense to keep both
dipsylalapo17/07/2020 17:49

Yeha a little. The One X and Lockhart are supposed to be on par …Yeha a little. The One X and Lockhart are supposed to be on par performance wise so from that respect, it wouldn't make sense to keep both

I wouldn’t be surprised if in that case, Microsoft rebrand the One X as the Lockhart/Series S console. Maybe that’s why they’ve discontinued the One X
MrMaccieKFC17/07/2020 18:00

I wouldn’t be surprised if in that case, Microsoft rebrand the One X as t …I wouldn’t be surprised if in that case, Microsoft rebrand the One X as the Lockhart/Series S console. Maybe that’s why they’ve discontinued the One X

Lockhart is a totally different console to the Xbox One X.
shasnir19/07/2020 21:41

Lockhart is a totally different console to the Xbox One X.

Not even three years support for the One X, next time someone disses Sony’s treatment of the PSVita please remind them of Microsoft’s exploits on the One X, or will it be another topic to relegate under the backburners of Phil’s latest gimmick??
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 19th Jul
MrMaccieKFC19/07/2020 22:18

Not even three years support for the One X, next time someone disses …Not even three years support for the One X, next time someone disses Sony’s treatment of the PSVita please remind them of Microsoft’s exploits on the One X, or will it be another topic to relegate under the backburners of Phil’s latest gimmick??

I have to say you are totally right here! Ms made the most powerful console with no new games for it ever and no support! This was one major waste of time and effort

Not even three years support for the One X, next time someone disses …Not even three years support for the One X, next time someone disses Sony’s treatment of the PSVita please remind them of Microsoft’s exploits on the One X, or will it be another topic to relegate under the backburners of Phil’s latest gimmick??

Why are you mentioning Sony and the PS Vita ? They have absolutely nothing to do with what you previously said or the OP Topic.
Edited by: "shasnir" 20th Jul
shasnir20/07/2020 10:19

Why are you mentioning Sony and the PS Vita ? They have absolutely …Why are you mentioning Sony and the PS Vita ? They have absolutely nothing to do with what you previously said or the OP Topic.

It’s called a comparison of the situation Microsoft are currently employing to the One X and SAD, and you know it so there’s no point trying to deflect the topic. We’ve heard enough deflections from the likes of Phil, Larry and Aaron the three Xbox stooges for the past 7 years.

DigitalKnight19/07/2020 22:26

I have to say you are totally right here! Ms made the most powerful …I have to say you are totally right here! Ms made the most powerful console with no new games for it ever and no support! This was one major waste of time and effort

They haven’t stopped supporting the One X, it is just sold out and makes no sense to keep producing it. One X owners will continue to get upcoming games like Battletoads, CrossfireX, Everwild, Grounded, Halo Infinite, KartRider: Drift, Psychonauts 2, Tell Me Why, Wasteland 3 and the next Forza just like all other models of Xbox.

If there is any console you should be upset about it is the PS4 Pro and the owners not being able to play the upcoming Spider-Man expansion.
Yoshimitsu20/07/2020 17:34

They haven’t stopped supporting the One X, it is just sold out and makes n …They haven’t stopped supporting the One X, it is just sold out and makes no sense to keep producing it. One X owners will continue to get upcoming games like Battletoads, CrossfireX, Everwild, Grounded, Halo Infinite, KartRider: Drift, Psychonauts 2, Tell Me Why, Wasteland 3 and the next Forza just like all other models of Xbox.If there is any console you should be upset about it is the PS4 Pro and the owners not being able to play the upcoming Spider-Man expansion.

At least the next Spider-Man Miles Morales expansion will be a system seller launch showcase for the PS5, why should anyone go for the Series X if, as you say, the games would be available on the One X and the Xbox One line up (for a few years as stated by Lord Phil), and on PC via Game Pass? A lick of graphical paint and reduced load times?
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 20th Jul
MrMaccieKFC20/07/2020 17:40

At least the next Spider-Man Miles Morales expansion will be a system …At least the next Spider-Man Miles Morales expansion will be a system seller launch showcase for the PS5, why should anyone go for the Series X if, as you say, the games would be available on the One X and the Xbox One line up (for a few years as stated by Lord Phil), and on PC via Game Pass? A lick of graphical paint and reduced load times?

We were discussing One X continuing to be supported but you have gone from Vita to PS5 exclusives?! I also game on PlayStation so not trying to make it a competition about which is better. Series X will have some exclusives as Scorn, The Medium and Orphan of the Machine won't be playable on any of the Xbox One models.
Post a comment
@
    Text