Xbox Kinect is officially dead

Editor 47
Found 26th Oct 2017
To be honest, I was a little surprised that it was actually still in production.

2817818-yyMsV.jpg
Microsoft have now officially ceased manufacturing the Xbox Kinect. fastcodesign claim that 35 million units of the Xbox Kinect have been sold since it's launch in 2010, when it was originally created for the Xbox 360.

The Verge have said...

"Microsoft is finally admitting Kinect is truly dead. After years of debate over whether Kinect is truly dead or not, the software giant has now stopped manufacturing the accessory. Fast Co Design reports that the depth camera and microphone accessory has sold around 35 million units since its debut in November, 2010. Microsoft’s Kinect for Xbox 360 even became the fastest-selling consumer device back in 2011, winning recognition from Guinness World Records at the time.

In the years since its debut on Xbox 360, a community built up around Microsoft’s Kinect. It was popular among hackers looking to create experiences that tracked body movement and sensed depth. Microsoft even tried to bring Kinect even more mainstream with the Xbox One, but the pricing and features failed to live up to expectations. Microsoft was then forced to unbundle Kinect from Xbox One, and produced an unsightly accessory to attach the Kinect to the Xbox One S. After early promise, Kinect picked up a bad name for itself."

Is anybody still using the device?
Community Updates
Misc
47 Comments
Main reason Microsoft lagging behind Sony this generation forcing everyone to have the kinect and being £80 more expensive on release
Edited by: "gopolog86" 26th Oct 2017
Very dramatic. Being dead implies that it was once a living thing. Got to love their writing style

No, I don't use it. But if I was wearing a green shirt instead of a blue one I probably would have/be.
I still have an X360 Kinect on my lounge wall - can't remember the last time I used it. Main problem for me was the in-accuracy and the field of depth assumed you were in a huge American living room. It was an interesting toy for a while, just no longer relevant
Nope. It was useless and you’d have to be far back from the TV and it couldn’t be at the corner of your room (which ours was). An absolute disappointment.
deleted800342
I was annoyed that I bought the Xbox one a few months after launch as Microsoft stated that it would not be sold without the kinect as it was an integral part of the system/experience.
They then started selling the console without the kinect, giving games developers even less reason to bother making games for it.
My kinect started playing up after a firmware update, then stopped working altogether 13 months after my purchase.
It was dead from day one.
I have one and my kids use it for the raving rabbids and the odd dance game. That's about all it ever gets used for. I never use it for voice control or any serious gaming.
Lasted longer then vita so kudos to Microsoft for continuing altho to be fair people have put them to some interesting uses I've even seen them used on robots.
gopolog863 h, 39 m ago

Main reason Microsoft lagging behind Sony this generation forcing everyone …Main reason Microsoft lagging behind Sony this generation forcing everyone to have the kinect and being £80 more expensive on release

nah its not, its the distinct lack of exclusive games. there is literally no reason for me to buy an xbox this generation.
VashTheStampede3 m ago

nah its not, its the distinct lack of exclusive games. there is literally …nah its not, its the distinct lack of exclusive games. there is literally no reason for me to buy an xbox this generation.

There has been plenty of exclusives for xbox one just 1 bad year and everyone jumps on the bandwagon playstation had barely any exclusives in 2015/2016 only this year they finally released alot of good ones
Let’s hope they don’t do a Sony when they put the ps plus up from 39.99 to 49.99 which I can’t see how it was for the players.
gopolog862 h, 13 m ago

There has been plenty of exclusives for xbox one just 1 bad year and …There has been plenty of exclusives for xbox one just 1 bad year and everyone jumps on the bandwagon playstation had barely any exclusives in 2015/2016 only this year they finally released alot of good ones

People say that they don't have exclusives because you can also play most on PC now too.

Most of them moan of the price of a XB1X so I dread to think of their reactions when pricing up a gaming PC!!

Back on topic though, Kinect was too far ahead of it's time to be fully utilised imo. Some pretty nifty homebrew/hacking though shows how good a bit of kit they really are - this was always my favourite:

I use mine all the time.
Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 6 m ago

Lasted longer then vita so kudos to Microsoft for continuing altho to be …Lasted longer then vita so kudos to Microsoft for continuing altho to be fair people have put them to some interesting uses I've even seen them used on robots.

Have sony stopped making the Vita?

I love the Vita, awesome machine, shame sony didn't push it right.

Never bothered with Kinect, seemed like MSoft trying to get on to the Wii hype and by that time most people had give up on prancing round their frontrooms pretending they were playing tennis and had gone back to controllers... lol
gopolog863 h, 32 m ago

There has been plenty of exclusives for xbox one just 1 bad year and …There has been plenty of exclusives for xbox one just 1 bad year and everyone jumps on the bandwagon playstation had barely any exclusives in 2015/2016 only this year they finally released alot of good ones

Id agree with this.

From launch of console id say the decent exclusives aren't that far apart.
VashTheStampede5 h, 29 m ago

nah its not, its the distinct lack of exclusive games. there is literally …nah its not, its the distinct lack of exclusive games. there is literally no reason for me to buy an xbox this generation.

Over 157 console exclusives, add to that the backwards compatibility and Xbox has more games than PlayStation and Nintendo combined!
Segata-Sanshiro8 h, 28 m ago

Lasted longer then vita so kudos to Microsoft for continuing altho to be …Lasted longer then vita so kudos to Microsoft for continuing altho to be fair people have put them to some interesting uses I've even seen them used on robots.

Vita games are still being made, how is it 'dead'?

kester763 m ago

So VR killed the kinect, long live VR So VR killed the kinect, long live VR https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/25/microsoft_pulls_plug_on_kinect/[Image]

None of those are VR headsets.

Yes, I am feeling pedantic.
MSK.6 m ago

Vita games are still being made, how is it 'dead'?None of those are VR …Vita games are still being made, how is it 'dead'?None of those are VR headsets.Yes, I am feeling pedantic.

time.com/491…mo/

Better contact time and tell them that they got it wrong
kester762 h, 54 m ago

http://time.com/4917466/microsoft-virtual-reality-headset-demo/Better …http://time.com/4917466/microsoft-virtual-reality-headset-demo/Better contact time and tell them that they got it wrong

The same Time magazine that in 1994 claimed the Internet would never be used by anyone other than nerds who had barely ever see the sun? Or something to that effect.

Yeah, I'd take their word for anything related to technology, even though you can see in the photograph that's incorrect
At the moment I am more interested in getting a Vita over a VR headset Not convinced by the hype surrounding VR but time will tell...
MSK.11 h, 34 m ago

Vita games are still being made, how is it 'dead'?None of those are VR …Vita games are still being made, how is it 'dead'?None of those are VR headsets.Yes, I am feeling pedantic.

Its not available to buy anymore anymore and they are not producing retail games for it anymore. A few indie devs still make Dreamcast and mega drive games sometimes that doesn't make them any less dead.
For about £25 (and even that's artificially inflated due to CEX trade in/selling prices) I've picked up the Kinect for my old 360, and 5 games (most expensive of which was £10 on the Disney Rush one). My three year old isn't quite patient enough to stand still to be scanned but hopefully she'll get into them a bit more.

Would never have paid the retail prices for it all though.
Segata-Sanshiro23 m ago

Its not available to buy anymore anymore and they are not producing retail …Its not available to buy anymore anymore and they are not producing retail games for it anymore. A few indie devs still make Dreamcast and mega drive games sometimes that doesn't make them any less dead.

An orange Vita to match the orange DS4 was advertised yesterday.
Edited by: "MSK." 27th Oct 2017
MSK.3 m ago

An orange Vita to match the orange DS4 was advertised yesterday.

Its not sold here its japan only.
MSK.9 h, 24 m ago

The same Time magazine that in 1994 claimed the Internet would never be …The same Time magazine that in 1994 claimed the Internet would never be used by anyone other than nerds who had barely ever see the sun? Or something to that effect. Yeah, I'd take their word for anything related to technology, even though you can see in the photograph that's incorrect

Or something to that effect kind of makes me think you skipped chunks of the article
Joking aside I do believe VR or whatever flavour someone calls it will be the future of gaming. You can't switch off the reptile part of your brain that freaks out when something gets too close to your face and having the undead a few inches off your face is pretty intense.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 34 m ago

Its not sold here its japan only.

I'm sorry, where did you say specifically it was dead anywhere other than Japan?

And your point about indie games was neither here nor there.
Edited by: "MSK." 27th Oct 2017
kester761 h, 5 m ago

Or something to that effect kind of makes me think you skipped chunks of …Or something to that effect kind of makes me think you skipped chunks of the article Joking aside I do believe VR or whatever flavour someone calls it will be the future of gaming. You can't switch off the reptile part of your brain that freaks out when something gets too close to your face and having the undead a few inches off your face is pretty intense.

It's paywalled so I can't grab the exact was quote, but it was a pretty famous wrong prediction.

I agree
MSK.34 m ago

It's paywalled so I can't grab the exact was quote, but it was a pretty …It's paywalled so I can't grab the exact was quote, but it was a pretty famous wrong prediction.I agree

Well just updated windows and got the black screen of death. After restarting I picked up my HTC Vive and windows had defaulted the login display to my Vive as it's the largest display but I can only use one eye at a time Microsoft still trolling me after all these years
MSK.24 m ago

Shame this is Japan only …Shame this is Japan only too:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/08/30/business/tech/tokyo-vr-attraction-puts-heart-gundam-battle/I'd love to hear what you thought of it

Sounds awesome.
kester767 m ago

Well just updated windows and got the black screen of death. After …Well just updated windows and got the black screen of death. After restarting I picked up my HTC Vive and windows had defaulted the login display to my Vive as it's the largest display but I can only use one eye at a time Microsoft still trolling me after all these years

Hope you get it sorted. I have all the fun to come, I've started PC shopping.
Xbox.. what's one of those anyway.. 🤣
MSK.38 m ago

Hope you get it sorted. I have all the fun to come, I've started PC …Hope you get it sorted. I have all the fun to come, I've started PC shopping.

Didn't take too long to sort but awkwardas thw monitor profile settings were on the vive so I had to play hunt the mouse cursor
MSK.1 h, 29 m ago

Shame this is Japan only …Shame this is Japan only too:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/08/30/business/tech/tokyo-vr-attraction-puts-heart-gundam-battle/I'd love to hear what you thought of it

Pay for importing of a set of gundam kizuna pods and I'll tell you what i think of them if you like
Quite strange that Kinect was dead long ago (some might say DOA) but Microsoft didn't know it, whereas the Vita is very much alive but Sony thinks it is dead.
kester765 h, 23 m ago

Didn't take too long to sort but awkwardas thw monitor profile settings …Didn't take too long to sort but awkwardas thw monitor profile settings were on the vive so I had to play hunt the mouse cursor

I'm looking forward to trying Trinus, I expect that will be even more faffing
MSK.49 m ago

I'm looking forward to trying Trinus, I expect that will be even more …I'm looking forward to trying Trinus, I expect that will be even more faffing

Trinus is pretty good usb teathered to a phone but POV can be high. You can used it with PS VR now though
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army26th Oct 2017

Over 157 console exclusives, add to that the backwards compatibility and …Over 157 console exclusives, add to that the backwards compatibility and Xbox has more games than PlayStation and Nintendo combined!

en.wikipedia.org/wik…mes

where are the other 144 coming from?

the only game i've seen worth trying on xb1 was sunset overdrive, but i'm not buying a console for one game.
VashTheStampede1 h, 18 m ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_One-only_gameswhere are the …https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_One-only_gameswhere are the other 144 coming from?the only game i've seen worth trying on xb1 was sunset overdrive, but i'm not buying a console for one game.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…mes

Console exclusive = 157
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants