Groups

XBOX LIVE AOL

Hi, dont know if anyone could help but here goes... About a month ago i took a 18 month contract out with aol, then started playing online with the xbox 360. The problem is the upload speeds are terrible, i have phoned up many times and we are lost in translation!

To cancel the contract i would have to pay double for every month remaining. Would it be possible to keep paying the 9.99 i pay every month and switch ISP's? Is there a good deal with getting an extra BT line? What provider would someone reccomend? My postcode is BB5.

14 Comments

unless you pay to get out from AOL, you can't doing anything other than stick it out.

what are your upload speeds? you using wireless?

internet browsing having issues?

Original Poster

Alfonse;8048637

unless you pay to get out from AOL, you can't doing anything other than … unless you pay to get out from AOL, you can't doing anything other than stick it out.what are your upload speeds? you using wireless?internet browsing having issues?

My upload speeds are around 200 kbps, Dowload speed is fine at around 7000 kbps. Not using wireless, internet browsing is fine. Just too slow to play games etc.

sounds ok, you got the firewall/router set-up so you get open NAT on XBL, I'm asking the basic questions as you have given little info to go on.

Original Poster

Alfonse;8048692

sounds ok, you got the firewall/router set-up so you get open NAT on XBL, … sounds ok, you got the firewall/router set-up so you get open NAT on XBL, I'm asking the basic questions as you have given little info to go on.

I have a router, its an d-link 2640r. NAT is open, I also share the internet with 2 other wired pc's, but usually just one is on when im online.

joeyjoe;8048718

I have a router, its an d-link 2640r. NAT is open, I also share the … I have a router, its an d-link 2640r. NAT is open, I also share the internet with 2 other wired pc's, but usually just one is on when im online.

have you tested XBL without any other devices using the internet?

joeyjoe;8048718

I have a router, its an d-link 2640r. NAT is open, I also share the … I have a router, its an d-link 2640r. NAT is open, I also share the internet with 2 other wired pc's, but usually just one is on when im online.

unplug everything except your console and see if it helps

Original Poster

dataload;8048740

unplug everything except your console and see if it helps

Yea i have tried that and no change. AOL have tested the line and its fine. I have changed the ethenet cables etc. My mate only uses facebook when he's online, he plays daft games like mafia wars, that might be using up all the upload speed.

joeyjoe;8048786

Yea i have tried that and no change. AOL have tested the line and its … Yea i have tried that and no change. AOL have tested the line and its fine. I have changed the ethenet cables etc. My mate only uses facebook when he's online, he plays daft games like mafia wars, that might be using up all the upload speed.

changed the filter?
    and as for a different provider, i've been with bt for years and i have no problems playing online even when i'm downloading music etc

Original Poster

dataload;8048800

changed the filter?and as for a different provider, i've been with bt for … changed the filter?and as for a different provider, i've been with bt for years and i have no problems playing online even when i'm downloading music etc

I will give that a go, though the one i use now is new. Its worth a try.

Changed the MTU Setting? AOL only like 1450. On the router.

help.aol.co.uk/wha…042

AOL's been alright for gaming when I had it. Back in the day.

Original Poster

Adam2050;8048833

Changed the MTU Setting? AOL only like 1450. On the … Changed the MTU Setting? AOL only like 1450. On the router.http://help.aol.co.uk/what-is-an-mtu-setting-and/article/20060802093009990042AOL's been alright for gaming when I had it. Back in the day.

I will give that a go, its currently at 1450.

Original Poster

Adam2050;8048833

Changed the MTU Setting? AOL only like 1450. On the … Changed the MTU Setting? AOL only like 1450. On the router.http://help.aol.co.uk/what-is-an-mtu-setting-and/article/20060802093009990042AOL's been alright for gaming when I had it. Back in the day.

dataload;8048800

changed the filter?and as for a different provider, i've been with bt for … changed the filter?and as for a different provider, i've been with bt for years and i have no problems playing online even when i'm downloading music etc

Alfonse;8048728

have you tested XBL without any other devices using the internet?

joeyjoe;8048846

I will give that a go, its currently at 1450.

Thanks for the help everyone. Rep given to all of you.

joeyjoe;8048822

I will give that a go, though the one i use now is new. Its worth a try.

if it's a free one they're usually pants, i use an xf-1e and it gave me an extra meg
    broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho…=24

When i had aol and live in london btw i was on 4mb and it was appalling - i got lag and disconnects all the time - the thing i managed to do to solve it is scrap the whole WELCOME TO AOL software and connect yourself via the computer e.g network connections and create a new network and enter the isp and password and it works a treat

The aol softwares purpose is to limit your traffic so if your gaming and you use too much in that month they will limit your speed
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917259
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846169
      4. Find out how good your GP surgery is11

See more discussions