Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Xbox live gold free?

Posted 4th Sep 2020
is it true xbox live will be free? my gold is about to run out few weeks do I need to renew or wait
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Doubt it, Where did you hear this?
Edited by: "samosa" 4th Sep
samosa04/09/2020 11:55

Doubt it, Where did you hear this?

There have been some rumours about this. Playing online will (might) no longer require paid subscription.

Just google it. They are rumours though.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 4th Sep
This article which is just as old says otherwise

windowscentral.com/mic…ime

I doubt they’ll get rid of it, they make too much money from it and pays for stable online experience.
I can imagine them making online play free as a USP. Even though on the other hand why would they throw that income stream away if they don’t have to? In any case, it will only be the online play itself that’s free, no games would be included with that I wouldn’t think.

If you purchased any Gold now and they did make online play free, I’m fairly confident that they would have to offer paid subscribers something, and since “Gold” wouldn’t really be a thing, they’d probably upgrade them to Gamepass.

But don’t base your decisions on PAISAL’s comments on the internet!

If you need it desperately, it might be better to only purchase a small time, not a year at once.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 4th Sep
PAISAL04/09/2020 12:08

I can imagine them making online play free as a USP. Even though on the …I can imagine them making online play free as a USP. Even though on the other hand why would they throw that income stream away if they don’t have to?

Ironic since it used to be the other way round. Playstation online play was free, and Microsoft wasn't. Now the potential of going the other way.
The rumours started because they retired 12 month Gold vouchers, but I think that's because they're going to be pushing Game Pass Ultimate (which includes Gold) instead of Gold itself, on the XSX, so I expect if they do still have a paid requirement for playing online, it'll be that you have a Game Pass subscription.
Post a comment
@
    Text