Xbox Live On Vigin Media Broadband Help !?

Found 4th May 2008
Hi there ive got an Xbox 360 and a PC running Xp Service pack 2 i have 4mb virgin media broadband. The problem is i want to get them both running simultaneously. Only one will work at a time. Ive got a D link fast Ethernet switch to get them both plugged in at the same time but they just wont work together. Is this the right piece of kit to use or what do i need ? i dont have wireless.

Any help most appreciated.

CB

34 Comments

not an expert, but don't you need an ethernet router not just a switch?

waht other devices are you using?, this will only work combined with a router or configured carefully
in fact its called a switch(actually a switching hub) because it has the ability to "switch" two machines connecting from the rest of the network. and this is what appears to be happening but its not supposed to do it in a permanent fashion

yep, you just need a wireless router instead, this will let both be connected at the same time, something like this:
play.com/PC/…tml

the dandy p;2032248

yep, you just need a wireless router instead, this will let both be … yep, you just need a wireless router instead, this will let both be connected at the same time, something like this:http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/615584/Belkin-802-11g-Wireless-Cable-DSL-Internet-Gateway-Router-F5D7230UK4/Product.html

he stated in the op he don't use wireless so why?

This is a bit off topic but didn't 4mb change to 10mb?!

Original Poster

vixygwim;2035592

A switch in basic terms is just a smart hub in that a hub is very … A switch in basic terms is just a smart hub in that a hub is very inefficient.A hub in this case would do the job.I'm assuming you have some kind of cable router, you haven't gone into much detail about that side of things.

Sorry i dont understand this at all i have a ethernet switch it dosent work can i use this piece of kit (link is in a earlier post which displays its tech specs) or do i need another piece of kit i dont know how simpler to put it

CB

You cant use a switch to do what your suggesting.
You will need a router.

hi i use a d-link DI-524 router and a webstar router that i have had since virgin media was blueyonder.
i have 3 pc's plus my sons xbox 360 connected to the router and all 4 can connect at the same time to virgin media 10mb broadband (if you have 4mb then it should have already gone up to 10mb free of charge but it depends on your area check this link to see if you have been upgraded yet allyours.virginmedia.com/htm…tml)

all i used to connect the xbox 360 rather than paying £60 for Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter was the d-link router found here cclonline.com/pro…534 and a rj-45 ethernet cable which can be bought from the following link in any length that you need from 5, 10, 20, 30 metre lengths cclonline.com/pro…181

connect them all up like in this link plus.net/sup…tml and away you go hope this helps

maddogb, what are you on about?
the op asked what he/she needed and i told them, it doesn't matter if they currently have wireless or not, with the router I suggested, they would solve their current problem, AND add wireless to their house.
BTW i noticed very little input in your post, almost as if you wanted to have a go for no reason....

Original Poster

So with that wireless router i can also use a cable as i dont want to fork out for the xbox 360 wireless adapter and a wireless dongle for my pc

i appreciate all the input so far !

thanks

CB

Either a wired or wireless router will do the same job. You can use cables.

the dandy p;2037798

maddogb, what are you on about?the op asked what he/she needed and i told … maddogb, what are you on about?the op asked what he/she needed and i told them, it doesn't matter if they currently have wireless or not, with the router I suggested, they would solve their current problem, AND add wireless to their house.BTW i noticed very little input in your post, almost as if you wanted to have a go for no reason....

no m8, i was just asking in case you knew something i didn't
the op said no wireless and hadn't posted since so just adding a wifi router was no use as he had nothing to connect to it you see.
i was just attempting to avoid him being confused into thinking he bought that and hey presto he would get wifi link

you can split the cable, although i prob wouldnt have both running anyway, my mates on 4mb and when he used both at the same time the xbox live was very jumpy and his other half was only looking at web pages, not downloading anything, best best just to swap the cable round to which ever one your using at the time, thats what i do

lol where did the posters get the switch and hub info from, I hope they know the difference between networking layers 2 & 3 because it doesn't appear so, sorry some bad advice there.

LOL our hospital network comms cabs run on layer 2 switches not layer 3.

Banned

nacider;2035659

This is a bit off topic but didn't 4mb change to 10mb?!

its being rolled out currently. about 50% have this at the moment.

I dont unfortunately but I'm overdue a call to retentions for them to give me 20mb upgrade for free. Its a pain as I have to do it every 3 months but at least I still only pay the 4mb price.

Banned

if your xbox is close to your pc, then my recommendation is wired. so much less hassle in the long run and faster.

csiman;2041058

if your xbox is close to your pc, then my recommendation is wired. so … if your xbox is close to your pc, then my recommendation is wired. so much less hassle in the long run and faster.

Sounds like he is ok with that, just wants to have the two wired simultaneously, bit unsure about how its wired and as no further response after original post..........

Original Poster

This its how its wired MODEM > SWITCH > XBOX + PC but having them both plugged into the switch means they wont work at the same time thanks for all the help ! im going to buy a router anyone know which is the cheapest one to get to solve my problem ?

thanks

CB

Original Poster

yeah that sounds like a good idea as my PC is on alot of the time anyway !

So i can have a cable from the modem into the pc then another cable from the pc into the xbox and setup a home network that way ?

Original Poster

XP and 2 ports

Sorry but many cable modems are routers so adding another router may or may not solve this issue and may leave many security holes, also if there genuinely is a problem with the switch the solution to network via the pc won't work.
in my limited experience with xbox's it is best to wire them directly to a router (or as close as poss) and the setup you had should of worked, best to find out why it didn't
Power off all devices modem, switch, pc and xbox, power them back on in that order after 1 min with a 1 min gap between each, if that doesn't sort it report back

maddogb;2043344

Sorry but many cable modems are routers so adding another router may or … Sorry but many cable modems are routers so adding another router may or may not solve this issue and may leave many security holes, also if there genuinely is a problem with the switch the solution to network via the pc won't work.in my limited experience with xbox's it is best to wire them directly to a router (or as close as poss) and the setup you had should of worked, best to find out why it didn'tPower off all devices modem, switch, pc and xbox, power them back on in that order after 1 min with a 1 min gap between each, if that doesn't sort it report back

None of the cable modems that virgin supply are routers. If it was already a router the op wouldnt have a problem in the first place.

Also you could just use your pc like others have suggested. Plug your 360 into the spare ethernet port on your pc.

deathtrap3000;2043410

None of the cable modems that virgin supply are routers. If it was … None of the cable modems that virgin supply are routers. If it was already a router the op wouldnt have a problem in the first place.Also you could just use your pc like others have suggested. Plug your 360 into the spare ethernet port on your pc.

who said virgin media supplied it?, many still have modems from the likes of ntl etc, and as if it was a router and a faulty switch then yes he would still have a problem and he would still have a problem connecting via a pc

maddogb;2044282

who said virgin media supplied it?, many still have modems from the likes … who said virgin media supplied it?, many still have modems from the likes of ntl etc, and as if it was a router and a faulty switch then yes he would still have a problem and he would still have a problem connecting via a pc

ok Virgin Media are still using the same modems as ntl and they all arent routers.

deathtrap3000;2044555

ok Virgin Media are still using the same modems as ntl and they all arent … ok Virgin Media are still using the same modems as ntl and they all arent routers.

but some are!, one i saw twice now, the motorla surf board is a basic router

maddogb;2044622

but some are!, one i saw twice now, the motorla surf board is a basic … but some are!, one i saw twice now, the motorla surf board is a basic router

They havent supplied that modem in years. I wasnt goin back that far.

Banned

couldnt you just buy a £2 cat5e cable splitter. My PS3 & Wii share a connection in this way.

Original Poster

i think i have the surfboard but i have to go out now i will be back in a few hours and ill update with all the info and some pics of the stuff ive got

Original Poster

OK so my camera is out of action but ill list the details as best i can. My PC is running service pack 2 XP and i have two Ethernet cards in there. The modem is a surfboard SB3100. The modem is upstairs as is the xbox but the pc is downstairs connected to the modem via Ethernet cable. I remember reading on the virgin media web site that only one device at a time can be connected to the modem maybe theres just no way around it.

cbwudang;2048864

OK so my camera is out of action but ill list the details as best i can. … OK so my camera is out of action but ill list the details as best i can. My PC is running service pack 2 XP and i have two Ethernet cards in there. The modem is a surfboard SB3100. The modem is upstairs as is the xbox but the pc is downstairs connected to the modem via Ethernet cable. I remember reading on the virgin media web site that only one device at a time can be connected to the modem maybe theres just no way around it.

no thats not true, i know the website says it but have successfully set 4 pcs using a switch on one of those, it does have a new client timeout of 10mins by default so that is the length of time computers can log on to it after it has started up

wireless is the way to go! i got a free one from virgin when i threatened to cancel last week.
by the way i have a wireless router on the for sale/trade section if ya interested

Original Poster

Id ring the tech support at virgin but its 25p a minute what a rip off !

Should be free again soon.
Post a comment
@
    Text