Xbox Live vs Vs Xbox Gift Card card!?? Eh!? (Plus Fortnite V Bucks!!)

Found 1st JunEdited by:"highcontrast"
Hi all, as a birthday gift to my nephew he's asked for Xbox live membership, so that he can play fortnite (does that sound right so far?)
Now he also want's to purchase V-bucks for Fortnite too so he can buy additional in-game upgrades. But I get the impression you can't buy V-bucks using a separate Xbox "gift" card???
Now...what is the best way of doing this, because I'm a bit reluctant to save any card or paypal details on his xbox one.
So should I pay for a physical xbox live card + the physical xbox giftcard? (or is the giftcard irrelevant now?)
But am I actually ok to put card and/or paypal details into his xbox? Is there a way of prompting for debit card pin and/or paypal purchase before every purchase attempt?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
deleted396333
The gift card adds balance to your Xbox account so no different to paying by PayPal or debit card.
I'm not sure if Microsoft still insist on you having another payment as backup, as I do anyway.
Yeah you need the membership for him to play it that can be bought for about £28 ATM
Then you need the Xbox/Microsoft giftcard for him to purchase stuff.
If you don't like entering your card details like I don't try signing up to one of these PAYG bank cards like Revolut or Starling and then enter them card details onto the Xbox but they won't be able to take money out unless you top up the account.
If you are required to give a card just get the wrong CVV (4 digit code) and give the wrong billing address.
Thanks for all the replies, that make sense now(mostly), I'm still however not 100% clear though, I read somewhere you cant use xbox gift cards to pay for v-bucks, or maybe i was getting confused with people talking out running fortnite on Windows PC?

P.s. I ordered the 12 month live gold card at amazon and got an instant ref no for nephew to enter, which worked. I assume i can do the same with the gift card?
deleted396333
highcontrast1st Jun

Thanks for all the replies, that make sense now(mostly), I'm still …Thanks for all the replies, that make sense now(mostly), I'm still however not 100% clear though, I read somewhere you cant use xbox gift cards to pay for v-bucks, or maybe i was getting confused with people talking out running fortnite on Windows PC?P.s. I ordered the 12 month live gold card at amazon and got an instant ref no for nephew to enter, which worked. I assume i can do the same with the gift card?

You can buy vbucks with Xbox gift card credit, I've done so.

You'll get a code for the credit like the code you got for the gold membership, yes.
Thanks, ordered the gift card via amazon and he got his precious v-bucks...it's been an expensive weekend!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants