Xbox One advice

Posted 18th Jun
I’m currently on the lookout for an Xbox one s (with drive) for my kids but given the demand at the moment and also the fact that prices are inflated I’m just looking to understand the actual RRP of each piece (so I can tell if I’m overpaying) and also work our if I’m better off buying some form of bundle.
Basically what I am after is

Xbox One S (non-digital)
Additional controller
Or
Xbox One S with 2 controllers

Minecraft
Roblox
Fortnite (am I correct in thinking that this is free but you require gold live and if so how much is this ?)

If anyone could advise on the standard RRP of these so that I can at least try and work out which is the best way to buy the above

There are so many different prices and combinations out there

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Hi Bobster. I'm not really sure why the RRP would be of any help to be fair. The price is whatever the retailer says it is? You would then do your homework and search to see who has the same bundle for the best price - same as with any product?

I would do a HUKD search for "Xbox One S" and see what sort of prices were available. Of course; as you say; things are a bit different now with the 'lockdown' effect making demand high. It seems that prices fluctuated around the £249-£269 etc. depending on bundle.

Have you considered used? I.e. CEX/Music Magpie etc?
Thanks Phsycronix yes it’s the fluctuating prices that are confusing hence just trying to understand what the norm is.

Plus then all the other stuff in terms of games, gold live etc. For example you can get a fortnite bundle but then if this is free are you just paying for extras etc

Well confusing to a non gamer like me (well at least since the ZX spectrum days)
If you go via Microsoft, the console "base" is £249.99. Roblox bundle OOS. Star Wars one is available though. You can get a second controller with 20% off, so RRP = £54.99 - reduced to £43.99. Total = £293.98.

microsoft.com/en-…66K

Bear in mind that an Xbox One X (better machine) could be had for £260! If they had stock, that is!

"Gold" subs are also discounted but bizarrely only 3 month and six month? Why not 12 month??? Anyway, RRP on subs are:

3 month - £17.99
6 month - £29.99
12 month - £39.99

All the above can be had cheaper from elsewhere. Especially if you are prepared to work a little and bend the rules slightly! VPN trick is what I am referring to...

For software, I would just pick up 'used' copies from CEX/MM or just get a download code from CD Keys.

Minecraft - XB One = £5.99 (CD Keys - also a whopping 2% extra off code available!)

Roblox - Free to download but needs an active Xbox Live sub to play on an Xbox console.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 18th Jun
Bobster-cyw18/06/2020 14:51

Thanks Phsycronix yes it’s the fluctuating prices that are confusing hence …Thanks Phsycronix yes it’s the fluctuating prices that are confusing hence just trying to understand what the norm is.Plus then all the other stuff in terms of games, gold live etc. For example you can get a fortnite bundle but then if this is free are you just paying for extras etc Well confusing to a non gamer like me (well at least since the ZX spectrum days)

Fortnite is an "online" gaming platform. The "game" is free to download but you need an active sub to play against others online. Then, there's the "extras" that you can bolt on to the game. This is where they make the money - and subsequently where parents lose their minds when their child has spend a packet on "skins" and whatnot!

Same rules apply with Roblox and Minecraft. There are "packs" that you buy to provide extra content with these sort of games. It's a moneyspinner, for sure...
Smyths seem to have plenty 'local' stock for their "S" Horizon 4 and Lego Speed Champions bundle. £249.99.

smythstoys.com/uk/…254

Controllers are a bit of a "sting" but you could reduce cost by getting a wired 'second' controller for £19.99?

smythstoys.com/uk/…252

£269.98 - Console, two games and extra controller. Then it's just sub on top. That could be:

£42.99 (12 month UK from CD Keys) - cdkeys.com/xbo…360

Or if you are up to it:

£21.99 (12 month BRAZIL from CD Keys) - cdkeys.com/xbo…zil

You do need to know what you are doing to redeem the above as it takes some 'jiggery-pokery' involving using a VPN to redeem the code via XBOX BRAZIL. There is a good guide on this thread:

hotukdeals.com/dis…745
Phsycronix18/06/2020 15:25

Smyths seem to have plenty 'local' stock for their "S" Horizon 4 and Lego …Smyths seem to have plenty 'local' stock for their "S" Horizon 4 and Lego Speed Champions bundle. £249.99.https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/xbox-one/xbox-one-consoles/xbox-one-s-1tb-forza-horizon-4-and-lego-speed-champions-bundle/p/181254Controllers are a bit of a "sting" but you could reduce cost by getting a wired 'second' controller for £19.99?https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/xbox-one/xbox-one-accessories/xbox-one-wired-controller-white/p/191252£269.98 - Console, two games and extra controller. Then it's just sub on top. That could be:£42.99 (12 month UK from CD Keys) - https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360Or if you are up to it:£21.99 (12 month BRAZIL from CD Keys) - https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360-brazilYou do need to know what you are doing to redeem the above as it takes some 'jiggery-pokery' involving using a VPN to redeem the code via XBOX BRAZIL. There is a good guide on this thread:https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-brazil-procedure-guide-needed-3478745

Excellent, thanks is for that, guess I’m off shopping
Also, if you're not prepared to wait for better prices when the "market" settles a bit, also take a look at Argos for their "X" deal. Better machine for not much more money:

argos.co.uk/pro…467

£259.99. Limited stock but there are some available.

Plenty of "wired" second controllers to choose from too. From £16.99.

argos.co.uk/sea…ce/

All the best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 18th Jun
I would suggest the X if you can get it for 10-15% more.
201518/06/2020 16:26

I would suggest the X if you can get it for 10-15% more.

I wasn’t sure tbh given that the likelihood is they’ll not venture beyond the games I’ve listed above .... is it really worth the extra ?
Bobster-cyw18/06/2020 16:36

I wasn’t sure tbh given that the likelihood is they’ll not venture beyond t …I wasn’t sure tbh given that the likelihood is they’ll not venture beyond the games I’ve listed above .... is it really worth the extra ?

It’s a tough one. They might get more into gaming and their tastes might change in a year or two. It’s just future proofing. Faster load times I believe as well.
Heads up Bobster! Saw this "deal" and instantly thought of you. It's not as good as the "VPN Trick" deals you can get on XBL subs but for a no-nonsense straight up great price for an EU sub:

hotukdeals.com/dea…983

I don't know if you'll read this before the deal expires but it's the cheapest it's been for a while so worth considering if you're still in the market for one. Of course, you may not even have an Xbox yet...

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix21/06/2020 11:42

Heads up Bobster! Saw this "deal" and instantly thought of you. It's not …Heads up Bobster! Saw this "deal" and instantly thought of you. It's not as good as the "VPN Trick" deals you can get on XBL subs but for a no-nonsense straight up great price for an EU sub:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-3449-at-cdkeys-3489983#thread-commentsI don't know if you'll read this before the deal expires but it's the cheapest it's been for a while so worth considering if you're still in the market for one. Of course, you may not even have an Xbox yet...Regards, Phsy.

Cheers @Phsycronix yeah I was reading that and looks ideal ..... still struggling to get an Xbox though Ive decided to go for the Xbox one x but obviously the £259. Deals are unavailable everywhere at the moment
Bobster-cyw21/06/2020 11:51

Cheers @Phsycronix yeah I was reading that and looks ideal ..... still …Cheers @Phsycronix yeah I was reading that and looks ideal ..... still struggling to get an Xbox though Ive decided to go for the Xbox one x but obviously the £259. Deals are unavailable everywhere at the moment

Hello my friend. Happy Father's Day! (Groan - d'ya feel old?)

Yep, I can see what stock Smyth's had is gone. Have you checked any 'local' stock at Argos? Just in case. At this time, it's a "You snooze - you lose" on XB consoles. I think stock levels everywhere will be low. Hopefully things will start returning to norm soon and deals will be available. Difficult when people's controller-fingers are getting itchy though, eh?
Post a comment
@
    Text