Xbox One - COD AW (purchasing from another region)

Found 11th Oct 2014
Hi all,

There has been a ton of deals posted lately regarding purchasing games from other regions.

As far as I can make out, this is not against MS T&C, previously, people have only been banned for downloading the free Games for Gold in other regions, but not from purchasing them.

I decided to take a look at a few regions to compare prices for Call of Duty, Advanced Warfare.

Posting up below in case anyone else is interested.
Community Updates
MiscXboxXbox One
64 Comments
Original Poster

How to do it:

1) On home screen push the START button.
2) Select SETTINGS (or of you have Kinect, just say "Xbox, Goto Settings"
3) Select SYSTEM
4) Change locality to HONG KONG, US, India etc
5) auto restart
6) go to xbox store and buy desired game
7) select pay with credit card (PAYPAL doesnt work) and use your normal card. need a postcode in HONG KONG, US, India etc and a phone number (Google anything in that country).
Wait for the download to finish, then switch back to UK, restart & play. You can also pause the download & change back to the UK store before downloading the game, works the same.

or

Log on to Xbox.com

In the bottom left hand corner, change country in bottom left hand corner. Purchase games via that countries Marketplace.
Original Poster
Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition

- early access to advanced warfare
- two custom weapons, the AK-12G Assault Rifle and CROSSBOW-B2.
- level up quickly with a full day of Double XP on November 3rd.
- the Advanced Arsenal featuring the Bullet Brass exoskeleton and EM1 Quantum directed energy weapon.

Rs. 4,000.00 - £40.62

US$59.99 - £37.32

HK$390.00 - £31.27

CA$69.99 - £38.87

£54.99

Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare Digital Pro Edition

- Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare Season Pass
- Atlas Gorge Bonus Multiplayer Map
- Two (2) Weapons
The Bal-27 AE Assault Rifle
The Atlas .45 AE Pistol
- Atlas Exoskeleton
- Atlas Helmet
- Atlas Player Card
- Five (5) Bonus Supply Drops
- Single Player Exoskeleton Upgrade Token

US$99.99 - £62.20

HK$715.00 - £57.33

CA$109.99 - £61.08

£89.99

Approx UK Time playable

US: 05:00 03/11/2014

HK: 17:00 02/11/2014

CA: 05:00 03/11/2014

IN: 19:30 02/11/2014

UK: 00:01 03/11/2014
Original Poster
I used this Postcode & Phone number for HK uni if anyone needs it:

Post code: 999077

Hong Kong phone number: 2921 2222.
It's the only way I'll be buying it with the season pass from HK

Or Ideally I'm hoping the 360 gets the same digital edtion for less on HK store so I can upgrade to xb1

Edited by: "dontasciime" 11th Oct 2014
Original Poster
I was looking at the one with the season pass, but with this new legalisation coming in Jan, I didn't want to be left without being able to download the maps.

It's downloaded now awaiting the 02/11 to play it
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 11th Oct 2014
ChrisUK

I was looking at the one with the season pass, but with this new … I was looking at the one with the season pass, but with this new legalisation coming in Jan, I didn't want to be left without being able to download the maps.It's dowbloaded now awaiting the 02/11 to play it

What new legislation ?

Is it this ec.europa.eu/tax…htm
Edited by: "dontasciime" 11th Oct 2014
From 1 January 2015 VAT on electronic services will be based in the country that the customer is in, instead of the country the seller is in as it is currently.

How Microsoft can administer this when they don't allow you to enter what country you are in is anyone's guess. Maybe they will end up being told off by the EU again!
Any idea which region is doing the best Forza Horizon 2 deal at the moment ?
jaybizzle

Any idea which region is doing the best Forza Horizon 2 deal at the … Any idea which region is doing the best Forza Horizon 2 deal at the moment ?

Probably HK
dontasciime

Probably HK

Just come off there after buying COD, sure it was mid 500 hkd.

Not sure if thats still cheap
Edited by: "jaybizzle" 11th Oct 2014
jaybizzle

Just come off there after buying COD, sure it was mid 500 hkd

I bought mine in sept

Purchase Date
18 September 2014

Total for this order: HK$650.00

Item(s)
Forza Horizon 2 Day One Ultimate Edition
Price: HK$650.00
Quantity: 1
dontasciime

I bought mine in sept Purchase Date 18 September 2014Total for this … I bought mine in sept Purchase Date 18 September 2014Total for this order: HK$650.00Item(s) Forza Horizon 2 Day One Ultimate EditionPrice: HK$650.00Quantity: 1

Not bad for Ultimate Edition

Shall take another gander.
^ you can't split the license for car packs though
Original Poster
jaybizzle

Any idea which region is doing the best Forza Horizon 2 deal at the … Any idea which region is doing the best Forza Horizon 2 deal at the moment ?

Just have a quick check online mate, takes 2 seconds to change your locale on xbox.com

India or HK are generally the cheapest.
If I download the digital pro edition with the season pass and day zero stuff for £57 from Hong kong region, I will be able to download the future map packs with the season pass after that new EU legislation comes in wont I?
JoshBrown

If I download the digital pro edition with the season pass and day zero … If I download the digital pro edition with the season pass and day zero stuff for £57 from Hong kong region, I will be able to download the future map packs with the season pass after that new EU legislation comes in wont I?

Saying as you've already purchased it (season pass) then I would say definitely yes as the map packs will cost nothing from store because you already own the season pass. This is the reason I bought it regardless of any new ruling on VAT etc as it won't affect anything already bought
Original Poster
Most probably, but one of the reasons I haven't gambled on it & gone for the other version.

If all is ok, I'll just buy the season pass seperately from another region
dontasciime

Saying as you've already purchased it (season pass) then I would say … Saying as you've already purchased it (season pass) then I would say definitely yes as the map packs will cost nothing from store because you already own the season pass. This is the reason I bought it regardless of any new ruling on VAT etc as it won't affect anything already bought

Yeah that's what I thought but just wanted a second opinion, thanks man. Did you go for the digital pro version too?
ChrisUK

Most probably, but one of the reasons I haven't gambled on it & gone for … Most probably, but one of the reasons I haven't gambled on it & gone for the other version.If all is ok, I'll just buy the season pass seperately from another region

Yeah I was in two minds but the season pass is about £31 on its own making it about £62/63 all in and that's without the atlas stuff too but suppose it's pretty similar really if you don't want to risk it
JoshBrown

Yeah that's what I thought but just wanted a second opinion, thanks man. … Yeah that's what I thought but just wanted a second opinion, thanks man. Did you go for the digital pro version too?

Yes. Was the only way i was going to buy it to get the equivalent of the hardened edition for £60 saying as Activision have stuffed loyal franchise customers by being extra greedy this time round and charging £70 for 2nd tier edition (Atlas Limited) without the extra £40 being for the Season pass and for you're £40 you get afa worth having.
Banned
Tempted to try this, Wouldn't want to lose my Gamertag though
Metro Redux bundle is $197 HKD so £15.91, which is also a bit of a bargain!

This is definitely the way forward for as long as it works

Prices are far too high for digital. COD is £10-15 more expensive for the digital than disc from the high street, which cannot be traded or lent out. It should always be cheaper as theres hardly any overhead. CD prices crashed when iTunes came out...
Edited by: "BattleCat" 14th Oct 2014
Banned
BattleCat

Metro Redux bundle is $197 HKD so £15.91, which is also a bit of a … Metro Redux bundle is $197 HKD so £15.91, which is also a bit of a bargain!This is definitely the way forward for as long as it works :)Prices are far too high for digital. COD is £10-15 more expensive for the digital than disc from the high street, which cannot be traded or lent out. It should always be cheaper as theres hardly any overhead. CD prices crashed when iTunes came out...

Trials fusion is only £9.50
Original Poster
Digital content should be at least £5-£10 cheaper than in the shops purchased on a CD. It's so much easier downloading the game now - I have COD sitting there awaiting it to Go-Live, no more waiting on the postman or shouting at Tesco for cocking up another order
Original Poster
seanbwfc

Tempted to try this, Wouldn't want to lose my Gamertag though

I have been the same mate & done a lot of research. From what I've understood, history has only confirmed that MS ban people who download free content from other stores, but has never banned anyone paying for content from another region.

There is also a post up in misc somewhere (with screenshots) of a discussion with MS & them confirming it's not against thier T&C's.

I should post a link to that really if I can find it again....
Original Poster
Just got my CC bill - it worked out as £31.24, plus an 86p transation fee - so £32.10
dontasciime

What new legislation ?Is it this … What new legislation ?Is it this http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/telecom/index_en.htm

There has been quite extended discussion about this on avforums. Its actually designed to target itunes and a couple of others who have based their eu digital sales out of luxembourg to avoid higher rates of sales tax. It doesn't relate to this at all.
Did anyone else only get 4 items in their download que when purchasing the digital pro edition? I got the atlas gorge map, atlas pack, season pass and cod AW. But it just says cod AW, not cod AW Day one edition. Anyone else?
Original Poster
Here is the MS Link about this method being "safe"

dropbox.com/sh/…l=0
ChrisUK

Here is the MS Link about this method being … Here is the MS Link about this method being "safe"https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcjro766z6sfw5u/AAAdFJrazpDqchBKjCpqS1xJa?dl=0

No longer works now they've blocked them.
Original Poster
dontasciime

No longer works now they've blocked them.

Works for me mate, just checked.
Banned
I bought Fifa 15 this week, Changed my region to India and Fifa 15 works out to be £27.

At this price you'd be crazy not to get it, Took me all of 2 minutes to change region, Thinking of buying Sunset Overdrive next as that works out to be £27 as well.....

Original Poster
seanbwfc

I bought Fifa 15 this week, Changed my region to India and Fifa 15 works … I bought Fifa 15 this week, Changed my region to India and Fifa 15 works out to be £27.At this price you'd be crazy not to get it, Took me all of 2 minutes to change region, Thinking of buying Sunset Overdrive next as that works out to be £27 as well.....

I've been doing it from my phone on xbox.com, now that even easier. Once purchased, it just downlaods from the UK marketplace as normal
ChrisUK

Works for me mate, just checked.

You just checked ? or just bought something as there is a big difference.
Original Poster
dontasciime

You just checked ? or just bought something as there is a big difference.

Didnt go all the way through - this guy just has though:

hotukdeals.com/dea…e=4
ChrisUK

Didnt go all the way through - this guy just has … Didnt go all the way through - this guy just has though:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/call-duty-advanced-warfare-day-zero-edition-xb1-31-change-region-hong-kong-2019900?page=4#post23123408

Which region though and what payment method ?
Useful thread - thanks for this Chris....;)
deleted57959

I want to see soemone who has done this months ago and still fine today, … I want to see soemone who has done this months ago and still fine today, seems everyone who is doing this is very recent and as such MS may not of acted upon it yet,

A friend of mine bought Titanfall from the US store back in March, he hasn't been banned yet.
Original Poster
I've looked into it in detail, hence the post.

Taken me a few months to gather enough evidence to convince me to try it haha
I want to do this but will the season pass etc work if I buy UK version?

Go to HK store, buy COD AW, then later on if I feel like it, buy season pass/DLC from UK store? will they work together?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants