Posted 19 November 2015

Xbox One - Game sharing guide

Hi all,

In response to queries about Xbox One digital game sharing, I’ve put together the guide below.
Community Updates
New Comment

128 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Game sharing is the ability for 2 Xbox One consoles to share a digital game, so only 1 copy is required to be purchased (effectively making the digital games half price).

If you combine this method with the other guide about purchasing in other regions, you can grab some serious bargains (for instance, it would cost £210 to purchase 2 copies of Battlefront Star Wars Deluxe Edition, while this method, combined with purchasing from the Colombian Xbox store, you will get the game for £44.70 - or £22.35 each. A saving of £165.30).

Details of purchasing from other regions can be found here:

hotukdeals.com/mis…295

For the purposes of this guide, I will be referring to Person A owning Xbox A and Person B, owning Xbox B.

You will either need to do this with someone you trust (as you will need to let them know your xbox account email & password), or someone local you can pop over to their house to perform.

The first thing to do is for Person A to log into Xbox B. Once logged in, navigate to Settings, Personalisation, My Home Xbox. Select the option “Make this my home Xbox”.

Once done, log out, you will never need to log Person A into Xbox B again.

Next, you want to repeat the process on the other console.

Person B need to log into Xbox A and again navigate to Settings, Personalisation, My Home Xbox. Select the option “Make this my home Xbox”.

Again, log out (remove the account from the Xbox if you want, you will never need this again).

This has effectively told Microsoft that your home xboxes are each others, so any digital games purchased will be downloaded to both Xbox’s.

Going forward, everything Person A or B purchases, will be downloaded on both Xbox A & Xbox B (you may need to go to your pending downloads to see the new content & then select it to download/install).

There are no restrictions on this method, you can both play the game on your own Gamer Tags, play at the same time as each other, even against each other if required.

As an additional feature, this also works for Xbox Live Gold, all DLC & even EA Access (only 1 person needs to purchase these for the other to benefit) - it effectively halves the cost of ownership.

The only restriction on EA Access is that only the purchaser can play the trials, but the full games are unlocked for both of you to play.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Author
    OldEnglish

Chris, thank you for taking the time to do this.

Should save you a few quid now come Christmas
    Thanks. Both guides very handy
    Author
    mad569797

could i take my xbox to my brothers house and do this in his house to … could i take my xbox to my brothers house and do this in his house to both boxes?once done can i remove my profile from my bro's and remove my bro's profile from mine?

Yes to both questions (or leave the profiles on the box as they wont ever be logged into again, this doesn't really matter).
    Author
    TheMetalMan

Saved an absolute fortune using this method with my brother. Great guide … Saved an absolute fortune using this method with my brother. Great guide

Good man - easy when you know how
    thanks pal
    Firstly, thanks for putting this together - contemplating doing this with a work mate. I assume you don't get access to each others back catalogue of downloads, but could you delete and 'repurchase' your games again and get them on both consoles? I'm already thinking not as technically you are not buying them again but thought I'd ask anyway! Cheers!
    benjamaphone

Firstly, thanks for putting this together - contemplating doing this with … Firstly, thanks for putting this together - contemplating doing this with a work mate. I assume you don't get access to each others back catalogue of downloads, but could you delete and 'repurchase' your games again and get them on both consoles? I'm already thinking not as technically you are not buying them again but thought I'd ask anyway! Cheers!

The games are tied to the profile so yeah all back catalogue will be available, are you sharing you're profile with them and vice versa
    Author
    benjamaphone

Firstly, thanks for putting this together - contemplating doing this with … Firstly, thanks for putting this together - contemplating doing this with a work mate. I assume you don't get access to each others back catalogue of downloads, but could you delete and 'repurchase' your games again and get them on both consoles? I'm already thinking not as technically you are not buying them again but thought I'd ask anyway! Cheers!

As above mate, everything purchased in the past will be available to your friend & vice versa
    Amazing! Cheers guys
    Great guide thanks
    Another great guide. Thanks for taking the time to wirte it and help us save money!
    Regards
    J
    OldEnglish

Yes, i know they both share the games on ea. One downloads it & then the … Yes, i know they both share the games on ea. One downloads it & then the other downloads the game after & they can play the same game.

thanks
    Author
    ramiuk1

thats awesome i have xbox live and ea access on my console,so i could … thats awesome i have xbox live and ea access on my console,so i could share it with bro inlaw.

Yep. I think the only limitation is that he wont get the 10 hour free trials via EA access, but he will get access to all the included games on there.
    Author
    danielrobson50

Unfortunately, I don't think you can game share the xbox live … Unfortunately, I don't think you can game share the xbox live subscription. I tried it when mine ran out my mates didn't. Xbox live is account specific so you will always need two of them. I believe

I'm sure you can share Xbox Live, my mate runs off mine.
    Author
    sean_numark

hi all, can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to setup … hi all, can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to setup game and gold sharing ? I've been trying my best to set it up and I can't. I've just bought a new xbox and I've put my old xbox in my sons room, I want to be able to share my gold and my downloaded games with him but most importantly I want us to be able to be on at the same time using my gold membership but I can only get it to sign on one xbox at a time meaning when u sign in on one it signs out on the other. I've tried finding guides online to help me but I can only find the guides that tell how to share it but not how to use both at the same time so I can play my lad and others at the same time online. does this make sense? I've even tried going onto online chat with Microsoft but they never understand what I want to do. Cheers guys

I'll await another comment, but I'm not sure you can share Gold anymore. Sharing games as per post 1 is still fine, so that should work for you, but I don't share gold anymore, so can't confirm sorry mate.

Still game sharing mind & it's working brilliantly as per the original post.
    sean_numark

​OK cheers mate, I just hope u can otherwise it looks like I'm paying for … ​OK cheers mate, I just hope u can otherwise it looks like I'm paying for me and my son Xbox live LOL. does it still work with EA Access do u know as I also want to set that up

I know I'm still sharing Gold with someone but I don't know if it would make a difference if I let it expire and then renewed as I always renew before expire.
    (Their subscription for Gold say's "expired 2014" so they are definitely sharing my Gold.)

I have EA Access so I can ask later if they are still able to share mine,, usually the only restriction is we can't share the "early access to play 8 hours of full game" I.e Battlefield 1

(edited)
    Author
    tboy2000

Am confused and worried. My Xbox account is my main account for … Am confused and worried. My Xbox account is my main account for everything. Eg email, onedrive etc. If I log into my account on my friends console, could they in theory download the onedrive xbox app and log in and see all my files etc?

Once you've logged in on the other console & set the home Xbox, you then log out straight away meaning no one will have access to any of your info.
    Chris, thank you for taking the time to do this.
    ChrisUK

Should save you a few quid now come Christmas

Yes. My one lad has had his Xbox for about a year & i've got my youngest one for xmas now. The eldest has a fair few games already, some digital & some on disc. I think in the future buying just digital games is the way to go now. Thanks again Chris, very helpful.
    could i take my xbox to my brothers house and do this in his house to both boxes?
    once done can i remove my profile from my bro's and remove my bro's profile from mine?
    (edited)
    Sounds good. Does making the Xbox at another location my 'home' Xbox have any repercussions though?

Sometimes I get the Games with Gold from Xbox.com rather than on the Xbox itself - which Xbox would this download to, would it register it as free to download on both?
    Author
    unreality

Sounds good. Does making the Xbox at another location my 'home' Xbox have … Sounds good. Does making the Xbox at another location my 'home' Xbox have any repercussions though?Sometimes I get the Games with Gold from Xbox.com rather than on the Xbox itself - which Xbox would this download to, would it register it as free to download on both?

Nope. Getting from either "Console B" or via Xbox.com will put the free games with gold in both Xbox download queues.
    Thanks Chris - tried this before with my sone but had not done the 2nd step of him logging on my xbox and making it home....

How's Battlefront? worth buying?
    (edited)
    Saved an absolute fortune using this method with my brother. Great guide
    Author
    gari189

Thanks Chris - tried this before with my sone but had not done the 2nd … Thanks Chris - tried this before with my sone but had not done the 2nd step of him logging on my xbox and making it home.... How's Battlefront? worth buying?

No problem mate. Battlefront is excellent.

It's basically Battlefield with a Star Wars skin/theme
    can you game share on ps4 also?
    Author
    mad569797

can you game share on ps4 also?

I'm not 100%, but I don't think so.
    ChrisUK

I'm not 100%, but I don't think so.

cheers
    Could you do this from 2 different countrys, England & Ireland does anyone know
    Author
    jjt712

Could you do this from 2 different countrys, England & Ireland does … Could you do this from 2 different countrys, England & Ireland does anyone know

As your base (i.e the physical location buying from), or buying from those specific regions from where you are now ?
    I buy it in england share with my nephew in ireland
    Author
    jjt712

I buy it in england share with my nephew in ireland

Yes, that will work
    Cheers chris good to know thanks
    Fantastic guides! Can I still use the xbox app on my console. Even if it's not my home console and game stream via laptop etc?
    Author
    Xbox app ? You mean smart glass ? If yes, then yes

Streaming to a Win 10 machine works fine.
    ChrisUK

Xbox app ? You mean smart glass ? If yes, then yes :)Streaming to a Win … Xbox app ? You mean smart glass ? If yes, then yes :)Streaming to a Win 10 machine works fine.

​Yeah sorry I didn't make it exactly clear upon re reading lol. So both if these won't trigger the other persons console at all?
    Author
    nekoangel

​Yeah sorry I didn't make it exactly clear upon re reading lol. So both i … ​Yeah sorry I didn't make it exactly clear upon re reading lol. So both if these won't trigger the other persons console at all?

No, it won't affect anything mate, will all work on your own own console !
    This is a great guide but remember Microsoft could at any point update the Xbox One to disable this functionality, since I highly doubt they intended it to be used in this way. Especially both players being able to play the game at the same time on both consoles. They could simply assign each game a key and then make sure each key is only in use on one system at a time. So then you'd have to be offline on the 2nd console for it to work.

Saying that, I'm a PC gamer and rarely touch my Xbone so I could be completely confused. As a rule though.. if something isn't an advertised feature, it can be patched out without warning. If you've gone halfers with a friend and have your game collection ownership between accounts.. things could get.... awkward.
    Author
    EpicEclipse

This is a great guide but remember Microsoft could at any point update … This is a great guide but remember Microsoft could at any point update the Xbox One to disable this functionality, since I highly doubt they intended it to be used in this way. Especially both players being able to play the game at the same time on both consoles. They could simply assign each game a key and then make sure each key is only in use on one system at a time. So then you'd have to be offline on the 2nd console for it to work.Saying that, I'm a PC gamer and rarely touch my Xbone so I could be completely confused. As a rule though.. if something isn't an advertised feature, it can be patched out without warning. If you've gone halfers with a friend and have your game collection ownership between accounts.. things could get.... awkward.

This has been available since the 360 days mate, so I highly doubt it's something they would "fix". Especially after thier poor decisions at the start of the Xbox One generation, they'd only alienate more customers.
's avatar