Expired

Xbox one or ps4 for my 8 year old son?

Found 20th Oct 2014
It will be his first consol since the wii, i don't want to get him an xbox 360 or ps3 so please don't suggest this. He's having one of these so please can you give your advice on the best one in your opinion.
Community Updates
AskXboxPS4Xbox One
28 Comments
ps4 - has more kid friendly games than X1 in my opinion
Why not ask him what games he wants to play, some games are console specific. As for spec wise, very little difference. Similar cost to play online as well £40 a year. Get different offers and features for this cost.

Do any of his friends have a console, if so may want to get the same so he can play online with them.
northwales

Do any of his friends have a console, if so may want to get the same so … Do any of his friends have a console, if so may want to get the same so he can play online with them.

this is the key really, no point buying one to find out that his group of friends all have the other one. As for games I've been keeping my eye out for kid friendly games for my 7yr old on the xb1 and can't find much at all at the moment.

Probably need to wait for more indie games to be produced.

No idea on the PS4 as I only have an xb1
You've got to look at how many children friendly games are available on each consoles. xbox one has ea access as a option, maybe not all games are suitable but for £20 a year you get to play games like fifa and need for speed.
Original Poster
His friends have the xbox 360 at the moment but likely to be having xbox one for xmas.
Get him either, I would have fainted if I would have gotten a games console at that age, especially one from the new generation of consoles.
Banned
How times have changed since I was 8.

£350 quid pressies.

Is it me ?
Original Poster
This isn't a post about how much i am spending on my kids so keep your thoughts to yourself. Xbox one or PS4 is the question
I wouldnt buy an 8 year old a games console.
oliverkennedy10

I wouldnt buy an 8 year old a games console.

I'm confused.. I was certain that the OP is asking for advice on which console to purchase for his/her child, but I must have misread the question as it seems as though what the OP has really asked for is how much money he/she should spend on his/her child....

northwales and worto03 have the best answers so far. There's nothing more that I can add.
Edited by: "RossD89" 20th Oct 2014
RossD89

I'm confused.. I was certain that the OP is asking for advice on which … I'm confused.. I was certain that the OP is asking for advice on which console to purchase for his/her child, but I must have misread the question as it seems as though what the OP has really asked for is how much money he/she should spend on his/her child....

No you was right.. but i dont see the point in buying a console for an 8 year old.. thats why kids are becomig mindless drones.. at that age he should be playing with his son not sticking him in front of the TV. Id buy one for my self and occasionally let him play it. But wouldnt buy him one specifically. Obviously that doesnt matter to the op.
Original Poster
RossD89

I'm confused.. I was certain that the OP is asking for advice on which … I'm confused.. I was certain that the OP is asking for advice on which console to purchase for his/her child, but I must have misread the question as it seems as though what the OP has really asked for is how much money he/she should spend on his/her child....northwales and worto03 have the best answers so far. There's nothing more that I can add.

Thanks for this! My son does football, karate, reading club, cross country and swimming also in his spare time, not that i have to justify myself!
if his friends are likely to be getting XBone, then get him an XBone
simples
i swear my kid spends more time just chatting to mates through her console than she does actually gaming
Banned
twinkleplease

ipad mini yep

Good luck with him as a teenager
Original Poster
Musician

Good luck with him as a teenager

Thanks
go away now
twinkleplease

His friends have the xbox 360 at the moment but likely to be having xbox … His friends have the xbox 360 at the moment but likely to be having xbox one for xmas.

There is your answer then. As mentioned above gaming is a lot more social than it once was and they'll want to be able to play with / against their friends online. Don't forget to think about the monthly subscription costs as well for playing online etc.
Unreal. Welcome to the parenting advice forum.

The choice has been made for you really. If his friends are going Xbox then it makes sense to follow. Otherwise I can guarantee you will have to sell up and swap down the line.

Is the Xbox the best console? That's another discussion. Is it the best choice? In this case probably yes.

Good luck.
Xbox definitely

He can meet his friends online
He gets to wear nice avatars and have props which kids of his age love and the gold pass costs only about £22 per year.
As you don't want to hear it, I would've suggested getting a last gen console. The main reason is that there isn't many kid friendly games on the next gen.

There isn't a lot of titles out there that is child friendly, but it really depends on if you allow your child to play a game with blood, and mature language in it, or if you're looking for a console to play something more child friendly, like Lego, Minecraft and so forth.

The next gen has hardly any games out there that is child friendly, without the blood, and mature language. Minecraft and a few Lego movie games are the ones I can think off. The rest are more for a teenager or older.

Lego Batman, Movie, Minecraft, Skylanders Swapforce, Sky Landers Trap Team, Angry birds (?), Octodad, and the Disney infinity games are the titles that come to mind. I don't know what else is releasing in the near future to make the console worth it for a minor.

But if you are dead set on picking a next gen, then Ps4 I would recommend.

Edited by: "kos1c" 20th Oct 2014
geesepeace

Xbox

Normally £39.99 but some shops have it for sale, like Cd keys which is £24ish
An 8 year old? The Wii U.
In your circumstances I would say Xbox One, so he can play with his friends. As for games, I would recommend Minecraft, Fifa 15 and Forza Horizon 2 for him.

Original Poster
DealHunter_

In your circumstances I would say Xbox One, so he can play with his … In your circumstances I would say Xbox One, so he can play with his friends. As for games, I would recommend Minecraft, Fifa 15 and Forza Horizon 2 for him.:)

Thankyou for your reply. I agree on those games, he does like fifa on his ipad
twinkleplease

Thankyou for your reply. I agree on those games, he does like fifa on his … Thankyou for your reply. I agree on those games, he does like fifa on his ipad

Your welcome I noticed you said its his first console since the wii, the Xbox One is a huge upgrade over that so he'll love it
As others have said the Xbox one seems the choice for you, as for games there's the ones already mentioned + there's a fair few decent arcade games that are free as part of the games with gold on Xbox live. I'm sure you will have one very happy child at Xmas
Ps4
Ps4 is cheaper you can get most games on both consoles. I have xbox one and ps4 we tend to like the free monthly games with play station rather than xbox. So I'd have to say PS4 as it cost less than xbox in long run.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants