Groups

Xbox One query

I've bought an Xbox One for my children for Xmas along with a few games, I'm not very savvy when it comes to console's! Do I need to install the games before I play them or do you put the disc in as and when you want to play.

Thanks in advance

23 Comments

You would need to install them first. It still requires the disc after being installed to play.
    Edited by: "sowray26" 13th Dec 2016

Some can take a while to install too so may be an idea to pre install them if you can, you'll need to create a gamer tag for them unless they already have an Xbox 360? If they do you just log on using the one they already use

some games can take a age to install especially if youbhave slow internet as updates can be quite big. As someone else said, i would connect it up and install the games now. or they may be waiting all day to pmay xmas.

dont worry the kids will work it all out its put of the fun!

As others have said most of the games will need installing.

It's a good idea to install all the games now if you can, there may also be an xbox update.

Christmas will be even slower to install as you are going to have thousands of kids all updating their consoles at the same time!!

The last thing any kid will want is to wait hours to be able to use their shiny new box.

Unplug it from the internet whilst installing as it'll be a lot quicker, or if wifi go to network setting and put it in offline mode until imstalled

Cheapsk8rs

Unplug it from the internet whilst installing as it'll be a lot quicker, … Unplug it from the internet whilst installing as it'll be a lot quicker, or if wifi go to network setting and put it in offline mode until imstalled

Would you not want to be connected to get any new updates? If you install the game and then go online it will have to download updates anyway.

I'm not an expert on the Xbox so I'm asking out of curiosity.

Cheapsk8rs

Unplug it from the internet whilst installing as it'll be a lot quicker, … Unplug it from the internet whilst installing as it'll be a lot quicker, or if wifi go to network setting and put it in offline mode until imstalled

would leave internet on while installing as patches need installing over wifi etc

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'll get them installed this week ready for Xmas.

Turn on wifi or plug the network back in after install to get the patches downloaded as it can try and download the game and patch reducing both download and install times. Sometimes it'll ignore that you have the disk in.

I think the console itself requires downloads, then the games will do the same. For a mote fluid, less child complaining Christmas day, fire it up a day or two before and get it all done.

There is a bit of a process between setting up a gamertag, installing updates and downloading/installing the games. I think you need to do as much in the week before Christmas as possible.

It is a tad complicated to explain on a forum like this. Try and find someone local who can help you out. I would offer to do it if you and I were local. Perhaps ask on a local gaming FB page?

Personally I would set it up for them so theres a parental lock on the system so they can't access bad websites / play games that they shouldn't i.e 5 year olds playing COD (bad parents) But honestly, set it up first. Don't want them to discover it takes an hour to install a game - especially on Xmas day, no fanboyism but my PS4 is so much quicker than my XB1 at installing and launching games. Also you can setup, that they need a password so they can't buy items without your permission!!!

Update the console few days before christmas, if its a large game, install it to the console b4 you wrap it.
    Rather you donit few days before than spend most of christ as day doing updates

As others have said, either install up front, or don't connect it the internet on Xmas day, or you'll be hours updating/installing

having just bought one on black Friday it took us the whole weekend to update the console, controller and install fifa 17! I'd definitely do all updating now and then on Xmas day they can just turn it on and go.
    It's really easy to set it up and I have no experience of setting a console up so I'm sure you'll be fine.
    my Internet isn't great but downloading the content wasn't the problem it was installing it that took forever.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you get a 14 day trial of xbox live with the console BUT, BUT, BUT if you set it up beforehand, which I strongly suggest you do, you will findthat your 14 days is going to probably finish before the Christmas holidays are over... or even before Christmas Day arrives.

So perhaps you need to consider buying an extra month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months subscription from an online retailer as MS is often the most expensive - AND learning how to switch auto-renew off.

Original Poster

tawse57

The other thing to bear in mind is that you get a 14 day trial of xbox … The other thing to bear in mind is that you get a 14 day trial of xbox live with the console BUT, BUT, BUT if you set it up beforehand, which I strongly suggest you do, you will findthat your 14 days is going to probably finish before the Christmas holidays are over... or even before Christmas Day arrives.So perhaps you need to consider buying an extra month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months subscription from an online retailer as MS is often the most expensive - AND learning how to switch auto-renew off.

​Do I need Xbox live? only asking as my children are 7 & 4 and I don't think they will be playing people online or buying online content.

I wouldn't worry about live just yet, you can still play online without it.

tawse57

The other thing to bear in mind is that you get a 14 day trial of xbox … The other thing to bear in mind is that you get a 14 day trial of xbox live with the console BUT, BUT, BUT if you set it up beforehand, which I strongly suggest you do, you will findthat your 14 days is going to probably finish before the Christmas holidays are over... or even before Christmas Day arrives.So perhaps you need to consider buying an extra month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months subscription from an online retailer as MS is often the most expensive - AND learning how to switch auto-renew off.

​That's a code that you enter whenever you want. It doesn't start the trial as soon as you start the console up. I used my code 2 weeks after starting up my console.

Best advice, get it out of the box, follow the instructions or watch a you tube clip to set it up. Begin the process of getting it ready to play. Then pop back with any additional questions as they come up. I too am not fully clued up on these things but between the fabulous HUKD peeps and my amazing year 11 class, we've been Xbox one'ing' for 12 months. No issues.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I've installed the games and it's also done an unbelievably long update!! I'm setting it up on Christmas Eve so it's ready for the morning.

Thanks again!!

dellboy75

Thanks everyone, I've installed the games and it's also done an … Thanks everyone, I've installed the games and it's also done an unbelievably long update!! I'm setting it up on Christmas Eve so it's ready for the morning.Thanks again!!

They will be very happy children, can't wait to see my kids faces either.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2494
      2. Cat Chat76734
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767394
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1725

See more discussions