Xbox One S All-Digital Edition to Launch on 7th May 2019 - Pre-orders now LIVE from £174.16

Refreshed 16th Apr (Posted 6th Mar)
Update 17/04, as expected MS have now launched pre-orders for their All-Digital Xbox One:

Pre-order links are starting to trickle in - see below.

Xbox One S 1TB Digital + Sea of Thieves + Forza Horizon 3 + Minecraft £174.16 @ Microsoft Store (Via Electronic First)Thanks @reindeer333 -

Xbox One S 1TB All-Digital Edition console | Xbox Wireless Controller | Minecraft | Sea of Thieves | Forza Horizon 3 £199.99 (thanks @Smash77 )

Xbox One S 1TB All-Digital Edition console | Xbox Wireless Controller | Minecraft | Sea of Thieves | Forza Horizon 3 £199

I'll be checkoing throughout the day but any other retailers, let me know
3192820.jpg

Go all digital with the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition and build a library of digital games that travels with you and is available in the cloud. Take your cloud saves on the go, and enjoy the ability to preorder and pre-install upcoming games so you’re ready to play the moment they launch. Expand your options with Xbox Game Pass, discovering and downloading over 100 great game

3-Month Xbox Game Pass or (1 month Xbox Live Gold + 1,000 Apex Coins) for £1 (Thanks @matwalaboy )

Xbox Backwards Compatible Spring Sale Titles - From 84p (thanks @BuzzDuraband )

Update 15/04/19 : The console will come with a 1TB hard drive, with pre-installed copies of Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, and Forza Horizon 3.

Bundles are expected to come in at around the 230 Euro mark - expect similar in UK markets at £230ish price point, rarely see conversion like for like but we can hope.

Bundles confirmed at £199.99!

Watch the event unfold LIVE on the links below from 10pm UK time 16/04/19

Twitch TV

Mixer

YouTube

Facebook

youtube.com/use…box

Source

There's strong rumours across the WWW that Microsoft are set to launch an ALL DIGITAL Xbox One S in April this year, with the consoles being shipped in the first half of May 2019.

I'm all for new consoles but i'm not sure i quite get them, Microsoft, launching ANOTHER Xbox One S without a disc-drive.

Yes, it's great for digital-only users but unless it's more powerful and/or cheaper than the current prices of a Xbox One S atm, with a disc-drive, will it struggle?

Especially with a lack of a 4K drive for other media.

Prices are also usually much higher elsewhere on digital stores, that goes for all publishers like PlayStation & Nintendo.

Yes the Xbox Pass is good value for money, that's coming from a PlayStation fan myself, maybe you'll get a 6/12 month sub with a new bundle.

Now and again we have Xbox digital sales also, maybe they'll offer even deeper discounts?

Would you be interested in an all-digital Xbox hardware? if so what price would you be willing to bite at?

3192820.jpg
3192820.jpg
Community Updates
Available to Pre-order at Microsoft Store for £199.99
Top comments
Don't understand digital only, you throw away so much money compared to physical.
I think they're testing the water on disk less machines before deciding what way to go with the next main console
Edited by: "Matthaus" 6th Mar
I never understood why gamers spend (often more) for digital copies which have no resale value. Why do they sell digital games at the same or higher price compared to physical copies? What is the rational? Surely the companies are saving a lot by avoiding storage, shipping, manufacturing costs so why is this not passed to the consumer?
Sorry but I just think digital is a scam for them to reduce costs and make more money and for theat reason Im not investing.... :P
khirsah3 m ago

Disagree, I use foreign stores to save money, and I like to keep games so …Disagree, I use foreign stores to save money, and I like to keep games so don’t sell them on. Had PS4 rdr2 for £33 on launch day and was playing it 6 hours before everyone else.

If MS and Sony go digital only there is every chance they will close the foreign store loop holes. You can never rely on a work round. Would you feel so keen if the UK store was you only option and it was £60 on launch day?
292 Comments
WalkerboyUK5 m ago

It's a One S, so it couldn't play 4k films anyway...

The One S has a UHD drive and can play UHD movies.
marrowcat17 m ago

The One S has a UHD drive and can play UHD movies.

My bad... I thought it was only on the X.
I'm not on board with 4k at all anyway, so irrelevant to me.
MEDICGUY2 h, 41 m ago

It's nothing new and, if anything, with inflation they should cost more.

This has been proven incorrect quite a few times now. If they should cost more, then they would do. They don’t though because the number of people gaming today has massively increased since the days of the SNES. The companies continue to make record profits today despite these games being supposedly too cheap. They have marketing deals with other brands which bring in extra revenue and then they have the season passes/micro transactions to fall back on too.

Capitalism works by the market dictating what it wants to pay. If the market disagrees with a price, it will not pay it, which is what has happened with game prices. If any company is losing money, then it’s not the price that is the issue, it’s that you didn’t have a good enough product in the first place. If it sold millions and you still lost money, your budget was simply out of control.

MEDICGUY2 h, 41 m ago

don't forget the thousands of hours that developers put into these games.

This would make sense if the money went to the developers. It doesn’t though. It goes to the likes of Bobby Kotick and Andrew Wilson in the AAA game industry. Their pay is vastly more than the developers. The developers get treated like crap and overworked. Why should we be continuing to allow exploitative people do that to them by paying them more money? It doesn’t benefit the developers. It benefits the shareholders and CEOs.

So, yes we don’t have a right to cheap games, but they don’t have a right to more of our money just because they make games too.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 6th Mar
geoff__bennett3 h, 42 m ago

Anyone buy DVD's anymore?

Yes. Lots do. That’s why the damn things still haven’t died and let bluray take over.

I do think a Netflix style subscription could be the way forward though. EA currently offer it on PC for £90 a year and it gives you access to every new release game on release day. It’s cracking value if you normally buy Fifa and Battlefield/Battlefront each year anyway.
Biddy29 m ago

This has been proven incorrect quite a few times now. If they should cost …This has been proven incorrect quite a few times now. If they should cost more, then they would do. They don’t though because the number of people gaming today has massively increased since the days of the SNES. The companies continue to make record profits today despite these games being supposedly too cheap. They have marketing deals with other brands which bring in extra revenue and then they have the season passes/micro transactions to fall back on too. Capitalism works by the market dictating what it wants to pay. If the market disagrees with a price, it will not pay it, which is what has happened with game prices. If any company is losing money, then it’s not the price that is the issue, it’s that you didn’t have a good enough product in the first place. If it sold millions and you still lost money, your budget was simply out of control. This would make sense if the money went to the developers. It doesn’t though. It goes to the likes of Bobby Kotick and Andrew Wilson in the AAA game industry. Their pay is vastly more than the developers. The developers get treated like crap and overworked. Why should we be continuing to allow exploitative people do that to them by paying them more money? It doesn’t benefit the developers. It benefits the shareholders and CEOs. So, yes we don’t have a right to cheap games, but they don’t have a right to more of our money just because they make games too.

I agree completely
I can see it working for some people, but it ain't for me. I would want my money back.

Spiderman I really wanted to play, bought it for £47 at launch, and blitzed it for the first week, loved it, completed it, done with it. Sold it for £42.

With Digital I am stuck with a £47 JPEG. (Make that £59.99 because for some reason, Digital prices take the pee)
Edited by: "darkstryder360" 6th Mar
Matthaus5 h, 31 m ago

I think they're testing the water on disk less machines before deciding …I think they're testing the water on disk less machines before deciding what way to go with the next main console

Beyond that , this release is a way to get a few more sales before the next generation comes out which will , by default , be driveless.
Enchante10 m ago

Beyond that , this release is a way to get a few more sales before the …Beyond that , this release is a way to get a few more sales before the next generation comes out which will , by default , be driveless.

Agree with this re sales, i'd expect to see some heavy discounts around Xmas 2019
WalkerboyUK2 h, 52 m ago

The xbox s has always been able to play 4k films. Just not games.
WalkerboyUK3 h, 16 m ago

It can, and also play Netflix 4K UHD.
It can not run 4k Games is what you are getting mixed up with. x
Just a copy and paste of what I said in the HUKD Gaming Community and Discussion...

Just want to say that this Xbox will be aimed at the casual gamers wanting to play the likes of Fortnite and not much else. A cheaper way for this type of gamer to afford a console and for Microsoft to bring them into the Xbox ecosystem. I think it is a smart move by offering people options when it comes to their budget and how they choose to play.

The next-gen Xbox Anaconda is rumoured to be your traditional console that will play physical games and be the more expensive option. The Lockhart "Scarlett" range of consoles will offer a cheaper alternative for people to afford a next-gen Xbox and these are rumoured to be all-digital.

Rather than forcing an all-digital future upon us like some people are worrying, it is more about giving us options while safeguarding the future of Xbox. This is somewhere Sony might potentially get left behind if they are not offering different prices on hardware and options on how people choose to play.
If consoles go disc less I'm not even buying a console again, I'll be permanently sticking with PC only

Digital games on Xbox and PlayStation are ridiculous, £60 digital,
£40 physical
Whilst America pays $60 physical, 60$ digital, I don't understand why we get overcharged for digital, same with rest of Europe

On PC you can get the game 1/3 if it's newly released, some games are 10x cheaper

Even if they charge unbeatable price they'll get there money back from overcharging for games in this country
Edited by: "Norseg" 6th Mar
I think it's a real shame that games are all going digital like this, when I was a kid it used to be normal to swap games with friends and borrow games off each other for a few weeks. Can't do this with digital games...
SNYPER_E9 h, 12 m ago

Don't understand digital only, you throw away so much money compared to …Don't understand digital only, you throw away so much money compared to physical.

The xbox console ecosystem for digital is the way it should be, ongoing support for all previous consoles software and also play anywhere support with the PC, so digitally xbox is almost like PC gaming when it comes to honoring your legacy game library, Sony and Nintendo on the other hand are the very definition of never go digital, both have just dropped support for three consoles between them and both seem quite happy to continue to charge gamers again for PS2/3 Wii/U ports and call them remakes, and let us not forget Sony's solution of putting limited BC behind a paywall called PS now, no free Bc or 4k hdr updates for previous xbox and xbox 360 games on a weekly basis from Sony. lol
Edited by: "XP200" 6th Mar
I am all for this. I just wish it was an Xbox One X without the drive. I have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I have about 100 games for the PS4 and 200/300 for the Xbox One. And not a single one is on the drives. I have never used the drives one since first purchasing the machines at launch in 2013 (I upgraded since then).

Think of it this way, this machine will be very small, be a very cool/quiet runner, draw much less power to run. It will one where once the deals kick in, it will be very cheap. This will probably be purchasable for the price of an Nivia Shield device (nobody complains about that not having a drive). I wouldn't be surprised if this is the size of an Nvidia Shield too.

People talk about buying the disk version, but they have become worthless these days as you buy the game and there is a day one 50GB initial download before you can play (i.e the entire game).

I have never understood this interest in second hand stuff. As you buy a game for £60 and then you go to CEX and they offer you £25 for it. Get lost with that idea. I would much rather just buy the game for £30 from Argentina/Turkey digital stores if I really want it. You do realize both ways you lose £30 if the game is terrible.
Surely if you going to release a new S without a disc drive it has to be £50 cheaper than the current model otherwise what’s the point
Why the fuss over physical media, as lots of people stream digital content on Netflix, now TV etc and don't buy disks. So why not let people have a choice of digital.
rmax18 m ago

I think it's a real shame that games are all going digital like this, when …I think it's a real shame that games are all going digital like this, when I was a kid it used to be normal to swap games with friends and borrow games off each other for a few weeks. Can't do this with digital games...

You can, its called gameshare
Norseg1 h, 47 m ago

If consoles go disc less I'm not even buying a console again, I'll be …If consoles go disc less I'm not even buying a console again, I'll be permanently sticking with PC onlyDigital games on Xbox and PlayStation are ridiculous, £60 digital,£40 physicalWhilst America pays $60 physical, 60$ digital, I don't understand why we get overcharged for digital, same with rest of EuropeOn PC you can get the game 1/3 if it's newly released, some games are 10x cheaperEven if they charge unbeatable price they'll get there money back from overcharging for games in this country

On the Xbox you can buy the Ultimate Edition of Assassins Creed Odyssey for £12, vis the Argentina Store. This is not a unique situation.
No one is buying the S, why would anyone buy a handicapped one?
Anthonyuk2 m ago

On the Xbox you can buy the Ultimate Edition of Assassins Creed Odyssey …On the Xbox you can buy the Ultimate Edition of Assassins Creed Odyssey for £12, vis the Argentina Store. This is not a unique situation.

Argentina store, exactly
Bundle it with a 12 month game pass and I'm in.
Chiptivo2 h, 28 m ago

It can, and also play Netflix 4K UHD.It can not run 4k Games is what you …It can, and also play Netflix 4K UHD.It can not run 4k Games is what you are getting mixed up with. x

You sure my TV reports it playing at 4k
Comes up. With hdr in the corner of the screen and 2160 or. Something in the other
Edited by: "wanderer" 6th Mar
only owned 1 game on disc for the xbox & lost it. So bought the digital version :P
Its the way forward for companies to help combat piracy.
Edited by: "bojangles" 6th Mar
Norseg6 m ago

Argentina store, exactly

There is a thing called digital credit. While that exists. The Xbox is a goldmine for bargains. As there is always somewhere over the world offering a game for a ridiculously low price. You just need to have a webstie selling the store credit in your bookmarks. I do.

I have about 200 Xbox One games. All digital. I think maybe about 5-10 of these were bought from the UK store. All the rest I have toured the world. We get shafted rotten in the UK. As we pay tax so a game is £60 in the UK that is $60 in the USA (which works out as £45). Then you get Turkey and Argentina selling these at £30. But then you get some store around the world setting the game at a stupid price.

I remember the week after release I bought NHL 2019 for £6 from Isreal for example. It was £60 in the UK. The Forza games just on release the ultimate edition was £10 from Egypt. Its £100 in the UK.
People please do your research on this before making decisions on it. This was rumoured almost 3 months ago by both Brad Sams and Windows Central. As far as both sites know the new console will also be launched with a digital trade in program where current games on disk can be taken into your local game seller, probably GAME, and they are shredded and turned into a digital key. This is why Microsoft made the choice to issue each disk a unique serial number because it would avoid loop holes or ridiculous amounts of proof of purchase as Sony was proposing with their digital trade in service.
wanderer3 m ago

You sure my TV reports it playing at 4kComes up. With hdr in the corner of …You sure my TV reports it playing at 4kComes up. With hdr in the corner of the screen and 2160 or. Something in the other

your tv could be upscaling games, but the physical hardware limitation wont get games to play in true 4k
wanderer7 m ago

You sure my TV reports it playing at 4kComes up. With hdr in the corner of …You sure my TV reports it playing at 4kComes up. With hdr in the corner of the screen and 2160 or. Something in the other

The xbox one S upscales to a 4k output for gaming, but it is not true 4k as the XBX offers, but it does 4k in everything else, streaming, 4k UHD disc's, and it has HDR support, so it still very good value for money, even without a 4k UHD drive.
Edited by: "XP200" 6th Mar
Sony/MS have been agitating to kill physical media and end the second user/rental/loan marketplace for nearly 15 years back when I worked in the industry.

It was always going to come and they wanted to try it in the UK sooner on the back of the same skewed British interpretation of the EU Rental Rights Directive that killed DVD rental stores here - interpretations of law which are illegal in many other countries which prohibit the creation of two tiers of business from a common product dictated by a manufacturer or publisher (like selling a Ford Focus for £20k if you're joe public or £80k if you're a car rental or taxi company.)

Under US and I think Australian law residual income from the entrepreneurial rental or resale of a legitimately sold product clashes heavily with what the publishers want to define as the right to a 'kerching' literally every time the physical product gets seen/heard/read by an individual.

Same argument that saw Amazon putting DRM on eBooks.
SNYPER_E9 h, 37 m ago

Don't understand digital only, you throw away so much money compared to …Don't understand digital only, you throw away so much money compared to physical.

I buy digital all the time but ONLY because of account sharing. When i have a choice i much prefer hacking/piracy so i have proper control over my console/computer.
We posting rumours as deals now? Lol
Norseg19 m ago

Argentina store, exactly

Exactly another person telling us they don’t understand physical gamers and then tells us they game share and buy from a foreign store. Both loop holes that could be closed tomorrow.
LazybeatX21 m ago

No one is buying the S, why would anyone buy a handicapped one?

41 million + own an Xbox One and that is considered no one
geoff__bennett8 h, 47 m ago

I think the goal here is to turn gaming in to a Netflix style service... …I think the goal here is to turn gaming in to a Netflix style service... which is great if you ask me - if this becomes the norm in future we wouldn't be looking at £60 release day games at all. Just new games added to our subscription, which as it stands is very reasonably priced.It's a shame this can't happen sooner, but I think consumers and developers need time to get used to the idea.Anyone buy DVD's anymore?

YES, I buy dvd's & physical games, if you haven't got the greatest connectivity then a disk is a saviour, as well as resale value potentially.
As we have projectors littering the house we watch alot of dvd too.
Can count the times on one hand we used the "ultraviolet" copies of dvd.

Physical all the way
StephenMcDowell8 h, 9 m ago

I do like digital games. There has been many a night after a hard days …I do like digital games. There has been many a night after a hard days work I sit down to play some Xbox but the game I want to play is not in the drive. Alot of the time I just end up playing a different game as I don't want to get up to put the disc in. Still do like being able to grab a deal on a game in-store. Given the chose I think I would spend a bit more to get a console with a drive in it.

A great example of how lazy people have become...
Why does show up on hotuk highlights?
I can see why their doing this but it's not for me. I'll stick with my X
.Yoshi.8 m ago

41 million + own an Xbox One and that is considered no one

I mean right now, the S is the worst selling console at the moment currently on the market.
I rarely buy digital at full price or high price, cant see the point to honest. There will always be games that you buy that its not what you thought it would be or you simple dont like, buying digital forfits getting any of that money back.

I only buy when it involves indie games or games that their physical disk are rare and expensive. Last game I bought digital was Tales of Berseria when it was on sale for £12 due to the disk version being still £35, its rare though.
£150 with a year’s Game Pass subscription and we’re talking
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions