xbox one s keeps disconnecting from sky broadband

hi my son had an xbox 360 and he has a ps4 and no issues. He got an xbox one s for his birthday in october and it keeps disconnecting from xbox live constantly! Does anyone know what i can do to fix this for him its so frustrating

25 Comments

it might be a console fault as I've had no problems with mine

As mundane as it is going through generic steps, have you tried xbox's torubleshooting?

support.xbox.com/en-…ion

use the xbox site and go through everything,is it wired in to ether net?

Is it using WiFi or is it connected via a cable. If you go into settings on the Xbox you can test the network to see if it's working OK. I would start with that first.

This could be loads of things, from settings on the console to wifi issues to something else connected to your router that may be uploading heavily (eg if you have an iphone connecting to the same router and that's uploading to icloud that will be enough to kick your xbox offline).
Try the following;

1: Try to use an ethernet cable, either a CAT5 or CAT6 will be fine (Cat5 are limited to 100mb speed but that's still more that enough and can be bought for a quid from loads of places, don't get an expensive one as you'll see no improvement). Using a cable will keep the connection level between the Xbox and the router.
One other option from this is to get a Powerline type adaptor, where if you have the Xbox in a different room far from the router but on the same power ring main then it'll use that ring main as a backup ethernet cable. It's costly (can be £50+ to setup) but it will give you a new internet point in your house and in larger older houses this is used quite regularly.

2: Turn off other devices connected to the router, reboot the router by the mains and try it again. This will eliminate anything else connected in the house and if the problem is still there then it narrows down the cause of the disconnection.

3: If you have to do wifi do other devices drop out too? It might be a wifi issue across all devices; if this is the case you may need to adjust your router wifi settings. Xbox One's are designed to connect to 2 different types of wifi; 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 2.4ghz has longer wifi range but can pick up interference from other neighbour's routers which can cause disconnections and generally has a speed of between 5 to 20/30 mb (depending on how close you are to the router). 5ghz wifi if your router supplies it (not all routers do but new ones now come shipped with this mode too) does have a shorter range but can connect up to speeds well past what you probably pay for (this in itself can cause issues, some routers will try to connect on 5ghz wifi up to 600mb+ when you may only be on a 20mb connection coming into your house!).
If you are unsure how to check your equipment for this your internet provider will be able to help you with investigating that. With my router I've chosed a fixed wifi channel for my 2.4ghz wifi to stop the router disconnecting and changing channels (if a router is set to auto-change it'll disconnect and reconnect the wifi connection to do so cutting everything off in the process before reconnecting). On my 5ghz as I'm on 150mb I've got it set to "connect up to 289mb" (the closes connection speed above my level of service; if it's set higher you're opening yourselves to interference for no gain).

4: If you are getting a decent connection but still getting connection issues then potentially there's something called port forwarding. It's more advanced and there are hundreds of forums listed about the net on how to do it; I'd try to avoid this as long as possible though as most people can connect fine without doing this.

Hope this helps lol, slightly went off on one then.

jeccius

This could be loads of things, from settings on the console to wifi … This could be loads of things, from settings on the console to wifi issues to something else connected to your router that may be uploading heavily (eg if you have an iphone connecting to the same router and that's uploading to icloud that will be enough to kick your xbox offline). Try the following;1: Try to use an ethernet cable, either a CAT5 or CAT6 will be fine (Cat5 are limited to 100mb speed but that's still more that enough and can be bought for a quid from loads of places, don't get an expensive one as you'll see no improvement). Using a cable will keep the connection level between the Xbox and the router. One other option from this is to get a Powerline type adaptor, where if you have the Xbox in a different room far from the router but on the same power ring main then it'll use that ring main as a backup ethernet cable. It's costly (can be £50+ to setup) but it will give you a new internet point in your house and in larger older houses this is used quite regularly. 2: Turn off other devices connected to the router, reboot the router by the mains and try it again. This will eliminate anything else connected in the house and if the problem is still there then it narrows down the cause of the disconnection. 3: If you have to do wifi do other devices drop out too? It might be a wifi issue across all devices; if this is the case you may need to adjust your router wifi settings. Xbox One's are designed to connect to 2 different types of wifi; 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 2.4ghz has longer wifi range but can pick up interference from other neighbour's routers which can cause disconnections and generally has a speed of between 5 to 20/30 mb (depending on how close you are to the router). 5ghz wifi if your router supplies it (not all routers do but new ones now come shipped with this mode too) does have a shorter range but can connect up to speeds well past what you probably pay for (this in itself can cause issues, some routers will try to connect on 5ghz wifi up to 600mb+ when you may only be on a 20mb connection coming into your house!). If you are unsure how to check your equipment for this your internet provider will be able to help you with investigating that. With my router I've chosed a fixed wifi channel for my 2.4ghz wifi to stop the router disconnecting and changing channels (if a router is set to auto-change it'll disconnect and reconnect the wifi connection to do so cutting everything off in the process before reconnecting). On my 5ghz as I'm on 150mb I've got it set to "connect up to 289mb" (the closes connection speed above my level of service; if it's set higher you're opening yourselves to interference for no gain). 4: If you are getting a decent connection but still getting connection issues then potentially there's something called port forwarding. It's more advanced and there are hundreds of forums listed about the net on how to do it; I'd try to avoid this as long as possible though as most people can connect fine without doing this. Hope this helps lol, slightly went off on one then.

​Wow, that's a lot of misinformation there.

I had a similar problem with a mac. I had to go into router settings and create a separate log on for mac set to 5ghz. Something to do with some appliances not liking swithing and thus dropping connection. You would need to google it as it was a while ago but mines been fine since

OP is your router far away from where the Xbox is? If so, you may need a wi fi extender.

I've got the solution, disconnect the power supply, lift up the console move it until hovering over your nearest bin and let go,
Resume playing ps4.

DealPerv2016

I've got the solution, disconnect the power supply, lift up the console … I've got the solution, disconnect the power supply, lift up the console move it until hovering over your nearest bin and let go,Resume playing ps4.

​Have you thought about a life in comedy?.... Don't.

jeccius

This could be loads of things, from settings on the console to wifi … This could be loads of things, from settings on the console to wifi issues to something else connected to your router that may be uploading heavily (eg if you have an iphone connecting to the same router and that's uploading to icloud that will be enough to kick your xbox offline). Try the following;1: Try to use an ethernet cable, either a CAT5 or CAT6 will be fine (Cat5 are limited to 100mb speed but that's still more that enough and can be bought for a quid from loads of places, don't get an expensive one as you'll see no improvement). Using a cable will keep the connection level between the Xbox and the router. One other option from this is to get a Powerline type adaptor, where if you have the Xbox in a different room far from the router but on the same power ring main then it'll use that ring main as a backup ethernet cable. It's costly (can be £50+ to setup) but it will give you a new internet point in your house and in larger older houses this is used quite regularly. 2: Turn off other devices connected to the router, reboot the router by the mains and try it again. This will eliminate anything else connected in the house and if the problem is still there then it narrows down the cause of the disconnection. 3: If you have to do wifi do other devices drop out too? It might be a wifi issue across all devices; if this is the case you may need to adjust your router wifi settings. Xbox One's are designed to connect to 2 different types of wifi; 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 2.4ghz has longer wifi range but can pick up interference from other neighbour's routers which can cause disconnections and generally has a speed of between 5 to 20/30 mb (depending on how close you are to the router). 5ghz wifi if your router supplies it (not all routers do but new ones now come shipped with this mode too) does have a shorter range but can connect up to speeds well past what you probably pay for (this in itself can cause issues, some routers will try to connect on 5ghz wifi up to 600mb+ when you may only be on a 20mb connection coming into your house!). If you are unsure how to check your equipment for this your internet provider will be able to help you with investigating that. With my router I've chosed a fixed wifi channel for my 2.4ghz wifi to stop the router disconnecting and changing channels (if a router is set to auto-change it'll disconnect and reconnect the wifi connection to do so cutting everything off in the process before reconnecting). On my 5ghz as I'm on 150mb I've got it set to "connect up to 289mb" (the closes connection speed above my level of service; if it's set higher you're opening yourselves to interference for no gain). 4: If you are getting a decent connection but still getting connection issues then potentially there's something called port forwarding. It's more advanced and there are hundreds of forums listed about the net on how to do it; I'd try to avoid this as long as possible though as most people can connect fine without doing this. Hope this helps lol, slightly went off on one then.

What does a CAT5e support? Is it still 100mb?

Original Poster

kingk123

it might be a console fault as I've had no problems with mine

​he only got it in october what happened did you get the console replaced?

Original Poster

n00dles0up

As mundane as it is going through generic steps, have you tried xbox's … As mundane as it is going through generic steps, have you tried xbox's torubleshooting?http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/networking/random-disconnect-solution

​yes tried everything

Original Poster

fawkes99

use the xbox site and go through everything,is it wired in to ether net?

​no its wireless but he had an xbox 360 and has a ps4 and we all have tablets and phones and no issie with the internet connection only the xbox one s

Original Poster

craigstephens

​Wow, that's a lot of misinformation there.

​cant use an ethernet cable as the router is downstairs and xbox one s is upstairs.

we have no issues with any other console or tablet or phone or anything on xbox one s.

have tried rebooting the router umpteen times now and nothing. it works for a few mins and goes offline again.

how do i check my router what channel its on? i looked online in it earlier and changed the channel but cant see what ghz it is

Original Poster

123batman321

I had a similar problem with a mac. I had to go into router settings and … I had a similar problem with a mac. I had to go into router settings and create a separate log on for mac set to 5ghz. Something to do with some appliances not liking swithing and thus dropping connection. You would need to google it as it was a while ago but mines been fine since

​how did you do that?

jeccius

It could be loads of things.... enough said right there.

Port forwarding will fix it happens to me or wire or put it in modem mode the hubs they supply are pants

Original Poster

monkey1999

Port forwarding will fix it happens to me or wire or put it in modem mode … Port forwarding will fix it happens to me or wire or put it in modem mode the hubs they supply are pants

​how do i do this?

shazzamac

​yes tried everything

What was your initial results from the link I sent? The results from the xbox test for download speed, upload speed and ping?

I see you are using wireless wireless due to router location, but for the sake of testing, can you move the xbox downstairs so you can check connectivity with ethernet cable. You need confirm if it is the wireless acting up or if it disconnects on ethernet cable too. As that would pin point an issue with the xbox itself if it happens on both wired and wireless.

shazzamac

​how do i do this?

First of all it it wired ?

Original Poster

monkey1999

First of all it it wired ?

​no its wireless

Original Poster

n00dles0up

What was your initial results from the link I sent? The results from the … What was your initial results from the link I sent? The results from the xbox test for download speed, upload speed and ping?I see you are using wireless wireless due to router location, but for the sake of testing, can you move the xbox downstairs so you can check connectivity with ethernet cable. You need confirm if it is the wireless acting up or if it disconnects on ethernet cable too. As that would pin point an issue with the xbox itself if it happens on both wired and wireless.

​i will try wiring it up tomorrow

Original Poster

n00dles0up

What was your initial results from the link I sent? The results from the … What was your initial results from the link I sent? The results from the xbox test for download speed, upload speed and ping?I see you are using wireless wireless due to router location, but for the sake of testing, can you move the xbox downstairs so you can check connectivity with ethernet cable. You need confirm if it is the wireless acting up or if it disconnects on ethernet cable too. As that would pin point an issue with the xbox itself if it happens on both wired and wireless.

​i cant even connect it to see what my speeds are
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Should I Sky sports or not1311
    2. samsung gear fit 2 claim purchase from mobilephonedirect48
    3. Thinking of getting the Fire HD 822
    4. Amsterdam Booking.com advice11

See more discussions