Groups

Xbox One S now or Xbox One X later

Hi, ive just upgraded my TV to a 4k HDR beast and want to get the most out of it. Its well documented that the Xbox One S is being sold at ridiculous cheap levels right now which is great but on the other hand makes me suspicious. Given that my main requirement is to play 4k TV content (films/shows etc...) through my TV shall I pick up a One S bargain now or wait it out for the One X? Thoughts?
    Edited by: "yorki3"

11 Comments

I guess it comes down to whether you want to play games in 4K as well? If not, may as well go for the S, cheaper but plays the same games as far as I can tell. If you want to take further advantage of your new TV (not jealous at all!!) go for the X. That's how I see it anyway. You're in a favourable position in so much as you don't already own an Xbox One. I have both an Xbox One and PS4, so I'd have to buy new versions of the same consoles as well as a new TV to get 4K

PCMR FTW!

I read that because xbox x games must run on the standard consoles it restricts what devs can do (or willing to do), so you effectively end up with an up scaled version. So just get the XboneS now, if pixels are what you desire get a PC.

You can always sell the OneS later on when you decide to upgrade?
    That's my plan. Even if I loose out on £100 ish from doing so that's £100 for 9 months of gaming (more like 4 months for you but you'll pay less than I did initially)

I've done things differently, I've bought a OneS for gaming, connected up to a Full HD LG Television. I'm on the attitude to let things pan out with technology, watch the prices drop and standards adopted before upgrading to a 4K Television. I like bang for my buck...

The X will be several hundred more, so if you're mainly interested in it's HDR video content support then it doesn't make any sense. Buy a One S for gaming and then, if required, a media player for whatever support it ends up missing and it'll be cheaper than an X.

I have being considering this too. I don't have a 4k TV, and I'm not needing to upgrade it anytime soon. I read that a xb1x would be no benefit to me and that it would also be a waste of hd space as it downloads the extra data needed for playing 4k.

Both

wait it out man, I picked up the LG c7 last weekend, £3k. It is a beast of a tv, love it. But I do not watch a lot of movies etc, so getting the "s" will be a waste.

I can wait for that 4K goodness

Original Poster

benjammin3169th Jul

wait it out man, I picked up the LG c7 last weekend, £3k. It is a beast of …wait it out man, I picked up the LG c7 last weekend, £3k. It is a beast of a tv, love it. But I do not watch a lot of movies etc, so getting the "s" will be a waste. I can wait for that 4K goodness

So I actually ended up getting the S today in fact. And my reason was simple. It cost me £140 from an Amazon reseller (fully boxed with one controller - no games). If I was to take it into Game or CEX tomorrow then I'd get £120 trade in value for it. So im estimatating that by November it wont go below £100 trade in value. That means im effectively paying £40 to use the S between now on November when I trade it in. Seems worth it to me.

yorki3

So I actually ended up getting the S today in fact. And my reason was … So I actually ended up getting the S today in fact. And my reason was simple. It cost me £140 from an Amazon reseller (fully boxed with one controller - no games). If I was to take it into Game or CEX tomorrow then I'd get £120 trade in value for it. So im estimatating that by November it wont go below £100 trade in value. That means im effectively paying £40 to use the S between now on November when I trade it in. Seems worth it to me.

awesome man, enjoy! Got anything to watch?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best £500 student laptop choice?11
      2. word association Game74044543
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767380
      4. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?11

See more discussions