Xbox One S or Xbox One X

Found 23rd Sep 2017
So my son is 9 and he's not really in to playing football in real life. That's ok, neither was I when at school (I'm still not now). But when you're 9 football is a big thing, socially. I get that.

Anyway, he does enjoy playing Fifa at his friends' houses. They all have Xbox. We don't have games console at our house. We have Apple TV 4 and 2 x SteelSeries Nimbus Wireless Gaming Controller. You can't get Fifa on this.

So, I want to get my son a console and Fifa, so his friends can come and play at our house. I've been holding off letting him have a console for so long, but I think it's important for his social with his friends so, it's time.

I was advised on another thread to get an Xbox, rather than PS4, as that's what his friends have. Ok, so I've orderFifa 18 for Xbox One for £29.99 (after cashback). Now I need to get a console.

I have a 10% off Argos voucher, so I guess in round figures I could get an Xbox One S for £200 or an Xbox One X for £400.

We have a Philips 55" Ambilight 4K TV, so I guess the One X would give us 4K Fifa 18, but other than that, is it worth double the price?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Apparently it looks amazing in 4k. Really it's what you want and what you are willing to pay. But your son would get serious cool points if he got the one X.
You do have the 4K TV so you would benefit from the X. It’ll also give you access to all the 4K media content.
If you plan on using it for more games, definitely the X.
If not I’d look at trying to get a deal on the original Xbox One, they are probably getting sold off cheap now
There is a big graphical improvement in the One X than the One S. However there isn’t much else improved on, if anything.
So if you can afford it and think he can appreciate the improved graphics and 4K gaming then you may as well. But if it’s not going to mean much to him then you may as well get the One S. They both play the same games and offer the same experience.
And also, the One S can at least play 4K Blu-Ray
Ive got the pro on pre-order with fifa bundle and a pre order on the x.

I dont have a 4k tv yet. Will be gettimg one in april,
I d go with the Xbox one x for the simple reason it's newer so will hopefully represent an unseen improvement in the experience Microsoft gained from the Xbox one console. Bit more future proofed with 4K hopefully
If your in no rush I'd imagine you can get the Xbox one S for a bargain in the next couple of months.
On a 55" T.V i'd imagine the 4k will be hard to spot unless you have it particularly close to where your sat. The jump to 4k is a bit of a gimmick unless your talking huge T.V's or monitors up close. I seriously doubt your 9 year old with be too fussed with the difference.
You could almost buy a Nintendo switch to go with the One S for the change and have portable FIFA!
Dont forget to factor in the cost of XBL.
If you want to take advantage of 4k then XboxoneX if not i guess the one s.
Deaa23rd Sep

If your in no rush I'd imagine you can get the Xbox one S for a bargain in …If your in no rush I'd imagine you can get the Xbox one S for a bargain in the next couple of months. On a 55" T.V i'd imagine the 4k will be hard to spot unless you have it particularly close to where your sat. The jump to 4k is a bit of a gimmick unless your talking huge T.V's or monitors up close. I seriously doubt your 9 year old with be too fussed with the difference. You could almost buy a Nintendo switch to go with the One S for the change and have portable FIFA!

That's not true really, especially on a games console. Being able to render in 4k, means significantly more detail, and less
jaggies, even on 1080p. I do it right now on my PC with a 1080p and virtual super resolution. Makes a big difference.

Then take into account pixel density, a 55" TV at 1080p only has 40 pixels per inch, or 80 at 4k, yet, were used to having 3-500ppi on phones and tablets, even PC monitors.
If what your saying is correct, then on a 21.5" monitor, 1080p is overkill because the pixel density is about 22% higher than it would be on the 55" 4K TV.

But simply, 4K is good, and having the horsepower to render in 4k, means it will look far better, whether you have a 4k tv or not.
J88NYr21 h, 39 m ago

That's not true really, especially on a games console. Being able to …That's not true really, especially on a games console. Being able to render in 4k, means significantly more detail, and less jaggies, even on 1080p. I do it right now on my PC with a 1080p and virtual super resolution. Makes a big difference.Then take into account pixel density, a 55" TV at 1080p only has 40 pixels per inch, or 80 at 4k, yet, were used to having 3-500ppi on phones and tablets, even PC monitors.If what your saying is correct, then on a 21.5" monitor, 1080p is overkill because the pixel density is about 22% higher than it would be on the 55" 4K TV.But simply, 4K is good, and having the horsepower to render in 4k, means it will look far better, whether you have a 4k tv or not.

I think its more to do with the distance you are from it. 40ppi looks great when your 8 feet away but 6 inches from your face on a phone you need that 500ppi.
I'm not saying games won't look better at all. Frame rate should improve and the added resolution does have an anti aliasing like effect as you mentioned but I'm not sure those are worth double the price for a 9 yr old to play Fifa.
sorry to hijack someones thread. It is xbox related but regarding a certain bundle im looking for. Anyone kind enough to tell me how to post a question and create a thread of my own? TIA
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants