Xbox one X or UHD blu ray player

Posted 27th May
I was looking at getting an UHD blu ray player off eBay today and some geezer on here mentioned that I should just go and get an Xbox one X instead

is there any difference between the two when it comes to playing UHD blu ray discs?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Why the X? If you just want it for playing UHD disks - the One S would do?
alg27/05/2020 10:30

Why the X? If you just want it for playing UHD disks - the One S would do?

What's difference in price specs ect
I am an Xbox One fan/owner but have just bought a £300 Panasonic UHD Blu-Ray player because IMHO an Xbox is a clumsy software driven excuse for a UHD Blu Ray player that works but only just.

I bought a Panasonic DP-UB820EBK.

My elderly but great DSP-Z7 Yamaha AV Receiver doesn't do 4K pass thru but this player has a second separate HDMI output for just for sound.
Edited by: "TheBiker" 27th May
TheBiker27/05/2020 10:46

I am an Xbox One fan/owner but have just bought a £300 Panasonic UHD …I am an Xbox One fan/owner but have just bought a £300 Panasonic UHD Blu-Ray player because IMHO an Xbox is a clumsy software driven excuse for a UHD Blu Ray player that works but only just.

Yup this is what I would have thought actually

Personally I have always gone for the PlayStation and I currently have the PS4 Pro and I was thinking maybe just wait for the PS5 to be released as it's going to have a Blu Ray player added this time around

Not sure if I should buy a separate UHD Blu Ray player for my Blu Ray's or wait for the PS5
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 27th May
If you aren't going to play games a standalone 4K player can be picked up from RS for around £150, I always find the fan noise from a Console to intrusive when used just for movie disc spining
Edited by: "Uridium" 27th May
Uridium27/05/2020 10:50

If you aren't going to play games a standalone 4K player can be picked up …If you aren't going to play games a standalone 4K player can be picked up from RS for around £150, I always find the fan noise from a Console to intrusive when used just for movie disc spining

Very true. The PS4 fan is absolutely ridiculous. I can't hear the game sometimes as the fan is so loud

I had my eye on this UHD player

panasonic dp-ub450eb for £190 on eBay 12 months interest free with the current PayPal credit offer
efc_4ever27/05/2020 10:49

Yup this is what I would have thought actuallyPersonally I have always …Yup this is what I would have thought actuallyPersonally I have always gone for the PlayStation and I currently have the PS4 Pro and I was thinking maybe just wait for the PS5 to be released as it's going to have a Blu Ray player added this time aroundNot sure if I should buy a separate UHD Blu Ray player for my UHD discs or wait for the PS5

I have a PS4 as well but have just upgraded to a 4K TV and 4K Blu ray player in readiness for the next gen Xbox & PS5. I am not expecting either to surpass my expectations from a dedicated quality UHD Blu Ray player they will be just for Gaming.
efc_4ever27/05/2020 10:51

Very true. The PS4 fan is absolutely ridiculous. I can't hear the game …Very true. The PS4 fan is absolutely ridiculous. I can't hear the game sometimes as the fan is so loudI had my eye on this UHD playerpanasonic dp-ub450eb for £180

check eBay as well, I picked up an Openbox Panasonic UB320 from Hughes Direct for £70 a while back, its been spot on.

Panasonic outlet often have rerfurbs at very good prices
Uridium27/05/2020 10:54

check eBay as well, I picked up an Openbox Panasonic UB320 from Hughes …check eBay as well, I picked up an Openbox Panasonic UB320 from Hughes Direct for £70 a while back, its been spot on. Panasonic outlet often have rerfurbs at very good prices

Just checked it out and looks good for what I'm after and saves me some cash

Can I ask why do they have ethernet cable or WiFi to Blu Ray players if I'm just playing a disc on them then why would I need WiFi or ethernet on the player?
efc_4ever27/05/2020 11:08

Just checked it out and looks good for what I'm after and saves me some …Just checked it out and looks good for what I'm after and saves me some cashCan I ask why do they have ethernet cable or WiFi to Blu Ray players if I'm just playing a disc on them then why would I need WiFi or ethernet on the player?

Essentially for Firmware updates but if its a "Smart" Blu Ray player updates to the operating system.

I have an 8 port switch under the TV connected to my router for all the devices that require an internet connection.
TheBiker27/05/2020 11:12

Essentially for Firmware updates but if its a "Smart" Blu Ray player …Essentially for Firmware updates but if its a "Smart" Blu Ray player updates to the operating system.I have an 8 port switch under the TV connected to my router for all the devices that require an internet connection.

I could do with a port switch for my ethernet cables actually. My router is full
Some of them also have Netflix and other smart options on them too, hence Internet connection required
a666andy27/05/2020 11:52

Some of them also have Netflix and other smart options on them too, hence …Some of them also have Netflix and other smart options on them too, hence Internet connection required

Oh I see. That makes sense then lol. Thanks
Yup - my blu-ray player is a Smart one, but with a Smart TV and a Freesat box with apps on it, I never use the network on the player except for firmware updates. And it's been a while since I had any of those.

On the other hand, with multiple consoles, PCs, smart devices in the living room, we have 2 8 port switches in the room, with a stupid Sky Hub only having 2 ethernet ports on it - and always connect through a cable instead of wifi if possible.
alg27/05/2020 15:48

Yup - my blu-ray player is a Smart one, but with a Smart TV and a Freesat …Yup - my blu-ray player is a Smart one, but with a Smart TV and a Freesat box with apps on it, I never use the network on the player except for firmware updates. And it's been a while since I had any of those.On the other hand, with multiple consoles, PCs, smart devices in the living room, we have 2 8 port switches in the room, with a stupid Sky Hub only having 2 ethernet ports on it - and always connect through a cable instead of wifi if possible.

No Dolby Atmos with the Xbox one S so that's a no go for me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants