Groups

Xbox One/PS4 needing constant updates

Felt like having a game on Titanfall so switched the Xbox on to find it needed a 4.1gb update.

I didn't turn the PS4 on as I know bad luck comes in two's. This seems to happen quite often and it puts me off playing games, thinking they might need updating.

I think they are scared of their systems being hacked that's why they keep sending out new updates?

They should rename this console generation the update generation!

33 Comments

Annoys me too. Seems it needs updating everything i turn the darn ps4 on

It does seem to be often, but they are not normally that big.

You could set them to update during the night?

Regular updates amassing to major data if not downloaded in patches. I tried Battlefront yesterday and was amazed at how many days I'd have to wait before playing it. Back to the 6 games I've got installed already.

I used to have the same issue with my PS3 and PS4. Every time I switched it on there'd be an update and by the time it had downloaded and installed, I'd lost interest in playing on it.

Feel for the kids on Xmas morning who get a new Xbox with Fifa 17 & by the time it's downloaded & updated everything it's new year & time to go back to school. X)
    Edited by: "OldEnglish" 4th Nov 2016

That's what rest mode and automatic updates are for.

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

I get that, but I don't want to leave my Xbox plugged in all the time.

DEALofaLifetime

I get that, but I don't want to leave my Xbox plugged in all the time.

Why?

Original Poster

OldEnglish

Feel for the kids on Xmas morning who get a new Xbox with Fifa 17 & by … Feel for the kids on Xmas morning who get a new Xbox with Fifa 17 & by the time it's downloaded & updated everything it's new year & time to go back to school. X)

My day off is like a mini Christmas so I like having a half hour blast on COD or Titanfall and be done, but part of me thinks should I watch a movie or something instead since I can't seem to log straight into Xbox live without being met with a update message.

They update games and the systems for many reasons but mainly to make things better for the user, games get "patched" to fix bugs glitches etc or get extra content which are all updates, it's very normal nowadays.

moneysavingkitten

This... no reason to keep unplugging it that's just weird.

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

Why?

Saving energy or if there's a power failiure and if I'm not home etc.

Original Poster

Snakeyes646

This... no reason to keep unplugging it that's just weird.

I meant the power switched off. Not plugs pulled out of the socket, to make myself clear.
    Edited by: "DEALofaLifetime" 4th Nov 2016

DEALofaLifetime

I meant the power switched off. Not plugs pulled out of the socket, to … I meant the power switched off. Not plugs pulled out of the socket, to make myself clear.

Okay you mean you switch plugs off?

I'm a preview memeber and updates are 10x worst. Some days I have 3 Xbox one updates. Some take over 40min to update.

I have 80mb internet.

DEALofaLifetime

Saving energy or if there's a power failiure and if I'm not home etc.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I think rest mode is designed to be a low power mode. Unless it's updating or charging something, I don't think it uses much power at all.

I do turn off most things when I go out, but my playstations are the exception. Because they are designed to be left on for this exact reason. Unless there is thunder and lightening predicted and I am going out for an extra long time. But even then that's what I have a surge protector for.

It's just a bit odd to complain about updates which make things better, but then not use the features that are designed to stop you having to wait for updates.

If you don't like updates, best to leave it plugged in and set it to auto update. Very rare you'll see another update.

Original Poster

Snakeyes646

Okay you mean you switch plugs off?

Exactly

bullet9t9

I'm a preview memeber and updates are 10x worst. Some days I have 3 Xbox … I'm a preview memeber and updates are 10x worst. Some days I have 3 Xbox one updates. Some take over 40min to update. I have 80mb internet.

Eh? Also a preview member (I think most ppl are nowadays) we get more update as they are tests really, non preview members get proper updates with all our smaller updates in it.

I still don't see them tho as I have auto update on.

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I think rest mode is … I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I think rest mode is designed to be a low power mode. Unless it's updating or charging something, I don't think it uses much power at all.I do turn off most things when I go out, but my playstations are the exception. Because they are designed to be left on for this exact reason. Unless there is thunder and lightening predicted and I am going out for an extra long time. But even then that's what I have a surge protector for.It's just a bit odd to complain about updates which make things better, but then not use the features that are designed to stop you having to wait for updates.

Nothing against an update in general that will improve system stability, but it seems like every few days it has to be done. I think I'm going to get a game on or around 9ish at at this rate as the download seems to be stuck at 27%.

On the plus side you'd see less of me here in the misc moaning if there was less updates.
    Edited by: "DEALofaLifetime" 4th Nov 2016

DEALofaLifetime

Nothing against an update in general that will improve system stability, … Nothing against an update in general that will improve system stability, but it seems like every few days it has to be done. I think I'm going to get a game on or around 9ish at at this rate as the download seems to be stuck at 27%.On the plus side you'd see less of me here in the misc winging if there was less updates.

So you're only in favor of system update not updates to games?

Sorry not feeling this whinge at all. Why would anyone be annoyed at games being improved actively is beyond me

Don't understand the last sentence either, but I think I'm out. None of it is making much sense.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

So you're only in favor of system update not updates to games?Sorry not … So you're only in favor of system update not updates to games?Sorry not feeling this whinge at all. Why would anyone be annoyed at games being improved actively is beyond me Don't understand the last sentence either, but I think I'm out. None of it is making much sense.

I can see exactly where you're coming from. Take care. Enjoy your Friday night.

Original Poster

There seems to be some animosity in the air? (_;)

I feel your pain OP
    PC gaming no better not all of us have fast connections(welcome to 'modern Britain')

it also irks me that my xbox(and tv) are designed to be left on all the time
    interesting to read that Playstations are the same

DEALofaLifetime

I meant the power switched off. Not plugs pulled out of the socket, to … I meant the power switched off. Not plugs pulled out of the socket, to make myself clear.

it prob costs a £1 for a year of standby.. i too used to be conscious of switching off, but I prefer to not have to wait for updates, over saving the planet
    Edited by: "haritori" 4th Nov 2016

thewongwing101

I feel your pain OPPC gaming no better not all of us have fast … I feel your pain OPPC gaming no better not all of us have fast connections(welcome to 'modern Britain')it also irks me that my xbox(and tv) are designed to be left on all the timeinteresting to read that Playstations are the same

I didn't think the PS4 was that bad as of late, I don't leave mine in rest mode either.
    I do think they took a step back with the PS4 as the PS3 used to update when in normal standby mode.
    Edited by: "[email protected]" 4th Nov 2016

I like switching mine off completely too. My PS4 does go onto rest mode now and then for updating games, downloading games and to charge my controller. But the Xbox is always left off completely because it's not being used much. Every time I turn the Xbox on, it always has those massive updates. lol. Right now I have to download it so I can redeem a beta code.

Need to have PS+ to have auto updates on the PS4 which is a bit annoying for casual, offline gamers like me.

Sometimes I'll only want or have time for one or 2 games on Fifa but it will take longer to update than what I have to play.

PS network also seems slow as compared to XBL.

Towelie

Need to have PS+ to have auto updates on the PS4 which is a bit annoying … Need to have PS+ to have auto updates on the PS4 which is a bit annoying for casual, offline gamers like me. Sometimes I'll only want or have time for one or 2 games on Fifa but it will take longer to update than what I have to play. PS network also seems slow as compared to XBL.

You could try this...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/308fcr/psa_ps4_network_options_for_better_speeds_google/

Oh and I actually find it the other way round, the xb1 S is really slow whereas the ps4 is okay. It is weird my download speed starts off really good and then plummets.

bullet9t9

I'm a preview memeber and updates are 10x worst. Some days I have 3 Xbox … I'm a preview memeber and updates are 10x worst. Some days I have 3 Xbox one updates. Some take over 40min to update. I have 80mb internet.

I quit the preview it wasnt worth it..

But the OP is right updates are a PITA, and I dont think its right to say that all updates are to improve the game, yes they fix issues which in turn improves the game but its too easy for devs to be lazy with product testing etc..

I do not think its wrong to expect a game that ships in one piece and working...

We are lucky in the UK but some countries ISP's actually block or cap updates on consoles..

Don't really have issues with updates tbh. They are there for a reason so I can't see why people moan about them.

My PS4 is always on rest mode purely for updates and also my Sony tablet or phone can connect to it so i can still access my PS4 on the go...........mainly at work

[email protected]

You could try … You could try this...https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/308fcr/psa_ps4_network_options_for_better_speeds_google/Oh and I actually find it the other way round, the xb1 S is really slow whereas the ps4 is okay. It is weird my download speed starts off really good and then plummets.

Nah I have to agree with Towelie, the PS4 network is much slower than XBL, it's just one of the many reasons I prefer the one over the ps4.

DEALofaLifetime

There seems to be some animosity in the air? (_;)

No animosity, just find it puzzling.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1943
      2. Any PS4 News Here29313800
      3. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…22
      4. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2526

See more discussions