Xbox, PS4 or Switch

Posted 6th Nov
Looking to buy my 6 year old one for Christmas. Heading towards the switch but wondered what peoples thoughts were.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
Switch is probably the best bet for that age but try and find out what his/her friends have first and get whatever they have. You don't want to buy a Switch then find out they all have PS4's for example and your kid gets left out of the conversations about the games they are playing, unable to swap games or play together with them online etc.
It’s tricky because switch is most kid friendly but Xbox will more than likely have his friends online even at 6 or if not it will over the next year or 2, Xbox will also be far cheaper to build up a few games but Xbox is getting a new system as is PlayStation next year so there’s no right or wrong thing to get. I’d ask him in a sneaky way to get an idea what he really wants.
Thanks for the feedback. Not keen on him playing online yet and feel the switch games are more based of his age group. Mario seems to be the main attraction at the moment but also Fortnite which I think he's too young to play so that's out the equation..
6 year old = Switch
alankfc0206/11/2019 11:13Thanks for the feedback. Not keen on him playing online yet and feel the switch games are more based of his age group. Mario seems to be the main attraction at the moment but also Fortnite which I think he's too young to play so that's out the equation..

Usually Depends on the 6 year old and what they want to play, if they have friends than the console of their friends could be a factor as other commentators have mentioned, but that also requires purchasing the same games as well.
I would say the advantage of xbox is the gamepass where you can pay a subscription to get access to a vast library of games each month on both the console and PC should the parent(s) want to play as well this could be of benefit.

Switch is definitely the most kid friendly, and the most recent release of the consoles, the others being at the end of their life cycles, personally I would avoid the switch lite as it can't be connected to a tv and doesn't come with joycons (which allow two player games should parent(s) be convinced to play, or other friends) the console also works with it's own screen and is somewhat travel friendly, though may be big for a 6 year old to hold, it's slightly heavy and I'm not sure how strong kids are honestly, but with a stand could be set up to play at other peoples houses without needing to borrow a tv or carry the full console&dock around with all the cables.
Additionally I would recommend digital game purchases as deals on this site for example can often bring prices lower than physical, when you're buying credit from retailers like shopto & cdkeys, then combine that with the nintendo eshop sales or switch game vouchers (2 games for £84 from the collection of main titles like pokemon, with credit can bring prices down to £35 per game depending on the sale at the time on cdkeys for example)
As an adult I find the game carts to be quite small and easy to loose and for that reason prefer digital as much as possible

As for games would recommend mario odyssey & kart, upcoming pokemon games (personally I'm favouring shield because of the pokemon available, but could be worth waiting till after christmas to pick that up, see if the child prefers one or the other and knowing whats exclusive to what game.
Also recommend Zelda Link's Awakening, cartoonish design should appeal to a child.
Luigi's Mansion 3 is also family friendly and great fun I am finding.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants