Xbox series S - no disc drive

Posted 8th Sep
Am I the only one who wishes to see an optical disc drive for the the new Xbox series S? It was done this generation with the Xbox one S. However, I seem to have gotten involved in a heated debate with a PC gamer for suggesting the idea.

What’s your thoughts? I know I can get the Series X but that’s pretty much double the price and I’m still not sold on the Series X yet, with the lack of exclusives and Halo pushed back.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Well you pay for game pass and gold combined basically so the s is good and cheap
_Tris_08/09/2020 14:46

Well you pay for game pass and gold combined basically so the s is good …Well you pay for game pass and gold combined basically so the s is good and cheap

I only pay for gold, the only two games I played on game pass was forza and gears. They’re pretty cheap to pick up on their own however.
It is an interesting point, i mean the perfect label for the Xbox Series S (I think i read it from the ongoing discussion) is that its "the best 1080p console" value for money wise and so a Series S with a disc drive would be a perfect entry level console to next gen at a cheaper price and will appeal to (what I assume) is the majority of tv owners who have HD sets and not 4k ones.
On the other hand, Microsoft will just add to the confusion by adding another console into the mix (imagine being the parent who has no clue about next gen consoles and now has to research between 5 consoles in total as well as understand the jargon).
Thing is, add an optical drive (even a non blu ray player one) and the cost will go up. There's no denying it, the reason Microsoft can afford to sell a digital only console for such a great price is that they are banking on the subscriptions to xbox game pass where (like gold and ps plus before it) the subscription will claw back money against selling the console at a loss.

Maybe a console like this will come as part of the mid generation refresh.
Edited by: "alex260993" 8th Sep
Well, if Microsoft wanted to cannibalise the Xbox Series X sales...
darkfrost108/09/2020 14:47

I only pay for gold, the only two games I played on game pass was forza …I only pay for gold, the only two games I played on game pass was forza and gears. They’re pretty cheap to pick up on their own however.

I had gamepass and gold for a year with a voucher it's almost expired and I dont have the option to only have gold just the option of pay 7.99 a month or 10.99 a month, so no idea not looked into it, it would be great if they did a s console with a disk drive but guess it wont happen as everything slowly going digital
_Tris_08/09/2020 15:08

I had gamepass and gold for a year with a voucher it's almost expired and …I had gamepass and gold for a year with a voucher it's almost expired and I dont have the option to only have gold just the option of pay 7.99 a month or 10.99 a month, so no idea not looked into it, it would be great if they did a s console with a disk drive but guess it wont happen as everything slowly going digital

I managed to grab a code from ShopTo for £40 for a year of gold and redeemed that. I see that gamepass is “the thing” they’re gonna capitalise on this gen and try get rid of physical copies of games.
darkfrost108/09/2020 15:27

I managed to grab a code from ShopTo for £40 for a year of gold and …I managed to grab a code from ShopTo for £40 for a year of gold and redeemed that. I see that gamepass is “the thing” they’re gonna capitalise on this gen and try get rid of physical copies of games.

Yeah if they do a s with a physical drive I would get that if not I will probably go digital for me I'll probably get 3 months of gamepass or whatever intill I know what the heck there doing with gold next gen
disks are now used for costers and in weatherspoons to stop the wobblely tables.
Edited by: "kevlfc" 8th Sep
I'll be all over this, got ultimate game pass for another 2 years and don't game on a 4k TV (I play on a 1440p monitor)

It's like the console was tailor made for me and I like the price too.

It's a shame about the lack of disc drive but as mentioned that'd put the cost up and MS probably want this to be a testbed for Xcloud.
Edited by: "Byno" 8th Sep
Do you think they will sell the console with call of duty bundle or just console ? Saves me pre ordering the game
Just seems a pointless console to me, GPU not as powerful as the One X, no disc drive so you're stuck with expensive digital games (inb4 b-b-but muh gamepass), and the silly design overall (looking like a small One S, doesn't look unique etc).

Just spend the extra £100 and get a digital Ps5 if you're not bothered about having a disc drive, atleast you'll have a much better console overall and new exclusives to enjoy - and a bigger SSD.
In fact MS will have both the cheapest - series S - and best - series X - consoles

Nonetheless people who want a 2nd console or if £100 is a lot of money ought to come here for advice and one of the strongest Industrial design teams - at MS - to find out that their consoles are silly.
Edited by: "jwsg" 8th Sep
_Tris_08/09/2020 15:08

I had gamepass and gold for a year with a voucher it's almost expired and …I had gamepass and gold for a year with a voucher it's almost expired and I dont have the option to only have gold just the option of pay 7.99 a month or 10.99 a month, so no idea not looked into it, it would be great if they did a s console with a disk drive but guess it wont happen as everything slowly going digital

It will happen in about 2 years when sales dry up and they want to bring a "new" product out.
GamePass and Xcloud are what this console is about. 512 storage is nothing but overall this is fantastic value. Particularly good as a second console for my eldest while we keep our 1X as a family box on the big telly.
CaptainZero08/09/2020 17:12

Just seems a pointless console to me, GPU not as powerful as the One X, no …Just seems a pointless console to me, GPU not as powerful as the One X, no disc drive so you're stuck with expensive digital games (inb4 b-b-but muh gamepass), and the silly design overall (looking like a small One S, doesn't look unique etc).Just spend the extra £100 and get a digital Ps5 if you're not bothered about having a disc drive, atleast you'll have a much better console overall and new exclusives to enjoy - and a bigger SSD.

I agreed with you till you went down ps5 road, gamepass and backwards compatibility is worth it. I just don’t get why anyone just wouldn’t buy the series x for the graphics power.

but then all the consoles seem a let down gpu wise when you look at the rtx 3080 for pc..
Bargainhead09/09/2020 13:36

I agreed with you till you went down ps5 road, gamepass and backwards …I agreed with you till you went down ps5 road, gamepass and backwards compatibility is worth it. I just don’t get why anyone just wouldn’t buy the series x for the graphics power.but then all the consoles seem a let down gpu wise when you look at the rtx 3080 for pc..

Not sure what's wrong with the Ps5 - it's going to completely outsell Xbox again with its exclusive games.

But I agree, if you want a new xbox just get the Series X.
CaptainZero09/09/2020 15:24

Not sure what's wrong with the Ps5 - it's going to completely outsell Xbox …Not sure what's wrong with the Ps5 - it's going to completely outsell Xbox again with its exclusive games.But I agree, if you want a new xbox just get the Series X.

Nothing wrong with it, it will out sell but I’m betting after all testing done including load times the x will be the best graphics again..

I was going to get x but upgrading gpu so no need as I can get gamepass on pc, I will go for ps5 instead I need another 4k player for my uhd movies and I might play a game or 2 on it..
Bargainhead09/09/2020 15:37

Nothing wrong with it, it will out sell but I’m betting after all testing d …Nothing wrong with it, it will out sell but I’m betting after all testing done including load times the x will be the best graphics again..I was going to get x but upgrading gpu so no need as I can get gamepass on pc, I will go for ps5 instead I need another 4k player for my uhd movies and I might play a game or 2 on it..

Personally I'm just upgrading my PC to a 3090 to keep up to date and then getting a Ps5 to play its exclusives (and competitive shooters as I'm awful with mouse and keyboard).
CaptainZero09/09/2020 15:52

Personally I'm just upgrading my PC to a 3090 to keep up to date and then …Personally I'm just upgrading my PC to a 3090 to keep up to date and then getting a Ps5 to play its exclusives (and competitive shooters as I'm awful with mouse and keyboard).

I like your thinking, but as long as I get 4k 60fps ultra the 3080 will do then I can upgrade again next round as well..

apart from halo and back in the day killzone I don’t really do exclusives, but some ps5 exclusives coming to pc I heard. I find keyboard and mouse awsome for some games and pad for others..
So buying a brand new launched console costs less than buying one which is 5 years old with a disc player?

How very odd.
I did find it weird it's not coming with a disc drive, I'm personally not ready for all digital but the series X is a lot to spend on a console with no exclusives at launch.

In all honesty neither system has sold me yet, I've got a 1080p tv and all the big 3rd party games are coming to current gen systems, very tempted to wait.
Post a comment
@
    Text