Xbox series X connecting to a soundbar

Posted 12th Nov 2020
Hope someone can help. I have an Xbox one X currently plugged into a soundbar via optical working perfect. I have just got a series x which obviously doesn’t have an optical a lot. I play through a gaming monitor with no speaker built in, and the monitor does not have an optical slot on.

Trying to figure a way to connect the new Xbox with an adapter and just can’t work out what I would need. Don’t want to get a new monitor as it’s brand new. Soundbar doesn’t have HDMI. ANy ideas? Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    sdoherty100012/11/2020 23:04

Why not go to a gamers forum or an Xbox forum. Surely that makes more …Why not go to a gamers forum or an Xbox forum. Surely that makes more sense?

I’m sure that there are people here that will be able to help the OP, there are a lot of gamers on this site and also people that are knowledgable about products sold on the UK Amazon site such as HDMI adapters and things that could be helpful.

OP, it’s definitely a pity that Microsoft have removed the optical out from the console. I can understand that many people just use HDMI for their sound but it was a handy thing to have.
    what model is sound bar,some you can connect by usb
    Author
    Pricklerickle12/11/2020 22:57

what model is sound bar,some you can connect by usb

Soundbar doesn’t have USB. Unfortunately it’s a compact one so is pretty much just optical and Bluetooth
    Why not go to a gamers forum or an Xbox forum. Surely that makes more sense?
    Author
    sdoherty100012/11/2020 23:04

Why not go to a gamers forum or an Xbox forum. Surely that makes more …Why not go to a gamers forum or an Xbox forum. Surely that makes more sense?

Thanks for that input 🏼
    Why not just plug it into your TV?
    Nickb9112/11/2020 23:02

Soundbar doesn’t have USB. Unfortunately it’s a compact one so is pretty mu …Soundbar doesn’t have USB. Unfortunately it’s a compact one so is pretty much just optical and Bluetooth

so what model,with the TV as well sounds kinda stuck, only thing is 3.5 mm stero sound, does monitor have head phone plug ,
    I think you'll need a hdmi passthrough sound bar

My only thought is can the xbox detect it as a bluetooth speaker?

Or does the sound bar have a 3.5mm jack in? You could possibly run a cable from the headphone socket on the controller if so.

Other than that it's a good excuse to invest in some new headphones over black friday. (edited)
    Author
    Pricklerickle12/11/2020 23:54

so what model,with the TV as well sounds kinda stuck, only thing is 3.5 mm …so what model,with the TV as well sounds kinda stuck, only thing is 3.5 mm stero sound, does monitor have head phone plug ,

Monitor doesn’t have headphone jack
    Author
    kilboy13/11/2020 01:02

I think you'll need a hdmi passthrough sound bar My only thought is can …I think you'll need a hdmi passthrough sound bar My only thought is can the xbox detect it as a bluetooth speaker?Or does the sound bar have a 3.5mm jack in? You could possibly run a cable from the headphone socket on the controller if so. Other than that it's a good excuse to invest in some new headphones over black friday.

Do u think a HDMI soundbar would solve the issue? Would rather a speaker than a headset is the only thing.

Last resort May just go down the headset route on Black Friday like u say
    Does the monitor have optical out?
    A lot of tvs do.
    You could buy a unit to extract the sound but couldn't vouch for a good one..
    Or a receiver to control it all..
    Or Bluetooth Soundbar...
    Author
    PS513/11/2020 09:18

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg3373/hdmi-2-0-audio-extractor-support/dp/AV28984Something like this..

Thanks for the tip with this!
    Nickb9113/11/2020 09:10

Do u think a HDMI soundbar would solve the issue? Would rather a speaker …Do u think a HDMI soundbar would solve the issue? Would rather a speaker than a headset is the only thing. Last resort May just go down the headset route on Black Friday like u say

Personally I think you've got a good reason to treat yourself to a new soundbar with more connectivity options, Black Friday is just around the corner after all!

OP, any chance that you could please post a picture of the back of your monitor showing the inputs and outputs and also the same for your soundbar?
    Author
    PS513/11/2020 09:15

Does the monitor have optical out?A lot of tvs do. You could buy a unit to …Does the monitor have optical out?A lot of tvs do. You could buy a unit to extract the sound but couldn't vouch for a good one.. Or a receiver to control it all.. Or Bluetooth Soundbar...

Gonna try an adapter Iv found on amazon. Failing that will get a headset on Black Friday. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!
    Author
    Haircut_10013/11/2020 10:20

Personally I think you've got a good reason to treat yourself to a new …Personally I think you've got a good reason to treat yourself to a new soundbar with more connectivity options, Black Friday is just around the corner after all! OP, any chance that you could please post a picture of the back of your monitor showing the inputs and outputs and also the same for your soundbar?

Very difficult to get to the back to take a pic currently. This is the soundbar. currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
    Author
    Haircut_10013/11/2020 10:20

Personally I think you've got a good reason to treat yourself to a new …Personally I think you've got a good reason to treat yourself to a new soundbar with more connectivity options, Black Friday is just around the corner after all! OP, any chance that you could please post a picture of the back of your monitor showing the inputs and outputs and also the same for your soundbar?

And this is the monitor. currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
    Nickb9113/11/2020 10:20

Gonna try an adapter Iv found on amazon. Failing that will get a headset …Gonna try an adapter Iv found on amazon. Failing that will get a headset on Black Friday. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!

Which adapter did you find? Some may cause you more issues than are worth it (e.g. resolution / refresh rate / lag / lip sync issues / tearing etc.. ) Try and find a branded one..
    Author
    HDMI Converter 3x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor Analog Optical Toslink SPDIF Output Support 4K 3D with IR Remote HDMI Cable USB Cable 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA Female Cable for Blu-ray DVD PS4 TV Etc amazon.co.uk/dp/…PTS got this one to try
    Author
    PS513/11/2020 11:00

Which adapter did you find? Some may cause you more issues than are worth …Which adapter did you find? Some may cause you more issues than are worth it (e.g. resolution / refresh rate / lag / lip sync issues / tearing etc.. ) Try and find a branded one..

See above link to one I got
    Nickb9113/11/2020 12:37

allegedly 60hz at 1080P so should match your monitor. At least you can return easily if you have any performance issues
    However, note it says "no plug" and tells you what to buy so unless you have one already you are going to be shelling out more.

May be better off buying the one i suggested with something else you need for £2 to get free delivery or finding an alternative on amazon
    Nickb9113/11/2020 12:37

Take it back.. looks like you can power via usb
    Author
    PS513/11/2020 12:49

Take it back.. looks like you can power via usb

I will give it a try, if it’s that bad I will return to amazon
    Nickb9113/11/2020 13:13

I will give it a try, if it’s that bad I will return to amazon

So how did it went?
    Author
    GowSam14/11/2020 13:05

So how did it went?

Hasn’t arrived yet. It’s being delivered tomorrow
    Nickb9114/11/2020 13:19

Hasn’t arrived yet. It’s being delivered tomorrow

I'm on the same boat as you so update us please All the best
    Author
    GowSam14/11/2020 14:17

I'm on the same boat as you so update us please All the best

It actually arrived today. Doesn’t work. Reading online, if you use a monitor with no speakers, there is no solution
    Nickb9114/11/2020 16:34

It actually arrived today. Doesn’t work. Reading online, if you use a m …It actually arrived today. Doesn’t work. Reading online, if you use a monitor with no speakers, there is no solution

It says it doesn't support hdcp 2.2 so I wonder if that is the issue. Have you tried it with something more basic eg if you have a bluray player / old xbox etc.

Alternatively Google and see which ones people have had success with.. Usually there are some hdmi splitters that remove hdcp..

Or try this one.. amazon.co.uk/Ten…h=1

It actually arrived today. Doesn’t work. Reading online, if you use a m …It actually arrived today. Doesn’t work. Reading online, if you use a monitor with no speakers, there is no solution

Damn, that sucks

People are having a success with this one, check this thread. I'm about to order one
    reddit.com/r/A…_x/ (edited)
    Author
    GowSam15/11/2020 01:05

People are having a success with this one, check this thread. I'm about to …People are having a success with this one, check this thread. I'm about to order onehttps://www.reddit.com/r/AstroGaming/comments/jt566j/this_adapter_solved_all_my_problems_xbox_series_x/

Nice. Looks like is only available from US Best Buy site though. Where are you buying from?
    Nickb9115/11/2020 08:31

Nice. Looks like is only available from US Best Buy site though. Where are …Nice. Looks like is only available from US Best Buy site though. Where are you buying from?

Not necessarily Insignia, there are couple ones recommended by redditors and the people who tried them already for the PS5/Series X/S. These are confirmed working
    amazon.com/ORE…VTY
    amazon.com/dp/…PZ2
    amazon.ca/dp/…c=1
    amazon.com/dp/…c=1

I ended up ordering the first one. I live in Qatar so I had to use international shipping to get it from US Amazon. Pretty sure u can find some of the above on Amazon UK (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants