Groups

xbox360 not reading any discs?!

I've just turned the xbox on and it won't read any discs at all but it doesn't give any error messages! It just says "reading" for 2 seconds then it says open tray. Never had a problem with the disc drive, any solutions?

15 Comments

Buy a new xbox.

how old is it? could be the lazer or whole drive

try a dvd disc lens cleaner

throw it out of the window and buy a ps3, thats what im doing

Original Poster

Its an elite, manufacture date 28/08/09 so not that old but just outside of warranty....

Had the same thing happen to me recently had to have a new drive fitted, luckily i purchased a 2 year warrant with Gameststion.

Original Poster

It's still covered under RROD warranty. Do you think i should just wrap it in towels and give it rrod so that i get a replacement?

[quote=Pauladin91]It's still covered under RROD warranty. Do you think i should just wrap it in towels and give it rrod so that i get a replacement?[/quote

Or you could just say say it has RROD i don't think they bother to check will probably just send you a refurbed one.

microsoft quoted me 90quid to fix mine.

Banned

overheat your xbox to cause RROD and send to MS :P. or ring up microsoft and hopefully get put through to someone nice and they may offer a lower charged rate to fix

Original Poster

For anyone reading this with the same problem, here is a solution to the problem although it may be temporary....

All you have to do is eject your cd and take the disc out and leave the tray open. Then unplug the power cord from the xbox. Plug it back in and press the power button. Right after you press the power button slam the disc tray back into the xbox. You will here a buzz noise and your laser will reset and your xbox will read your disc. This might take a couple of times to get it right.

Still gonna send it off for repair though under RROD. This is the 3rd console!

Pauladin91

For anyone reading this with the same problem, here is a solution to the … For anyone reading this with the same problem, here is a solution to the problem although it may be temporary....All you have to do is eject your cd and take the disc out and leave the tray open. Then unplug the power cord from the xbox. Plug it back in and press the power button. Right after you press the power button slam the disc tray back into the xbox. You will here a buzz noise and your laser will reset and your xbox will read your disc. This might take a couple of times to get it right.

Nice way to guarantee your drive is ****. Did you try clearing the system cache? That's quite often the cause of disc read errors.

megalomaniac

Nice way to guarantee your drive is ****. Did you try clearing the system … Nice way to guarantee your drive is ****. Did you try clearing the system cache? That's quite often the cause of disc read errors.

If the op's "unofficial" fix worked, not likely to be cache is it.

Original Poster

It's still working now, so seems to have done the trick....

Banned

megalomaniac

Nice way to guarantee your drive is ****. Did you try clearing the system … Nice way to guarantee your drive is ****. Did you try clearing the system cache? That's quite often the cause of disc read errors.

Yeah, clearing the cache and/or removing your hard drive might get it working again.
    If it does it again that is.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846171
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764226
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is56
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio812

See more discussions