Groups

Xbox360 - Open Tray Error

My kids Xbox 360 has started to not read disks. We keep getting open tray messages. If we keep trying the disk eventually it works.

The warranty ran out last month, so my options are bin it or get it fixed.

Anyone know how hard it is to replace the disk drive and what cost ?
    or someone reliable who can do this for us ??

Thanks

17 Comments

I had this problem and I put a disk cleaner in and it was fine. I still get the error every now and then but put a disk cleaner in and its fine. Worth giving that a try.

unplug it for five mins and try, we do this and its fine! not sure why it works but it does x

open up the xbox and give the disc tray and laser eye a good clean ours was full of fluff and dust now it works perfectly fine, i found this out by searching through forums (you will need a screw driver and an extra pair of hands though)

was it over a month ago it ran out? because depending on where you bought it from you get an extra month goodwill on your 12 month warranty and may be worth askin? i know you do in asda.... x

Banned

karinaj

was it over a month ago it ran out? because depending on where you bought … was it over a month ago it ran out? because depending on where you bought it from you get an extra month goodwill on your 12 month warranty and may be worth askin? i know you do in asda.... x

Well warranty's would be 13 months then not 12 - what a load of crap!

The retailer may look on your claim favourably if it is close to the expiry date, but you dont get an extra month!

Original Poster

It expired on the 11th Jan 2011.

The Xbox has been off all night, so another 5 minutes won't help

Anyone any good guides for opening it ??

Thanks

TomT

It expired on the 11th Jan 2011.The Xbox has been off all night, so … It expired on the 11th Jan 2011.The Xbox has been off all night, so another 5 minutes won't help :(Anyone any good guides for opening it ??Thanks

Have you tried what I suggested? That worked for me.

Original Poster

I will call Sainsbury's in the morning and see what they say !!

clean the disks.. simples..

REFUND WITH IN 28 DAYS IF UNOPENED.

GIFT CARD WITH IN 28 DAYS IF OPENED

FAULTY WITH IN 12 MONTHS REPLACEMENT WITH RECEIPT OR SOMETHING SIMILAR / REFUND

FAULTY WITH NO RECEIPT - NO REFUND BUT POSSIBLE GIFT CARD OR EXCHANGE ON CURRENT PRICE

OUT OF WARRANTY NO RECEIPT OR WITH RECEIPT - SPEAK TO MANUFACTURER

SPEAK TO THE MANAGER ON THE GM/GNERAL MERCHANDISED DEPARTMENT AND SEE WHAT THEY SUGGEST

Edited by: "jazferbetay" 15th Feb 2011

this happened to me so i rang gamestation and the lady was very polite and after confirming that it was their right to repair or refund an item in line with the sale of goods act. you supposedly get 6 years for certain things and this happened to me twice in 8 months.

dimebars

Well warranty's would be 13 months then not 12 - what a load of crap!The … Well warranty's would be 13 months then not 12 - what a load of crap!The retailer may look on your claim favourably if it is close to the expiry date, but you dont get an extra month!

well you do in asda which i know for a fact as i work on the customer service desk!
    also we will give an extra week on the 28 days change of mind as goodwill.
    if you dont believe me then thats fine as the advice was for the op not you anyway!
    Edited by: "karinaj" 16th Feb 2011

I had a power supply fault on my PS3 when it was a month out of warranty. I rang Sony and they replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture because it was just out of warranty. May be worth ringing MS and see if they'll do similar?

Customer support number is 0800 587 1102 or you could try tweeting them @XboxSupport (I believe their twitter advice is very good).
    Edited by: "fellermelad" 16th Feb 2011

Original Poster

Stupid Question time.

As some one who has never used twitter ( even though I have an account ) How do I contact xboxsupport via Twitter ??

Original Poster

I sorted out how to as for help
    Only option is to send it in for repair !

Original Poster

MS & Sainsbury's are not interested !

Anyone any good guides for opening it ?? or someone who repairs at a reasonable price ?

there are a few good companies online, see what Microsoft quote your first

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2635
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2241
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346

See more discussions