Groups

Xeon X5450 in Asrock G31M-S Rev 2.01

Can i put a xeon x5450 that has 120w tdp in an asrock g31m-s rev 2.01 that supports upto 105w ? I know they are different sockets but i am gonna mod the cpu and the mobo. thanks

7 Comments

Given that ASRock's page for it mentions and overclocking mode which generates more heat I'd imagine it won't be a problem.

If this is some sort of retro gaming build then wouldn't an E8400 or similar be easier? Not many games of that era used four cores.

Original Poster

I'm just trying to get the most out of a very old system for the least amount of money.

DarrenHerondale

I'm just trying to get the most out of a very old system for the least … I'm just trying to get the most out of a very old system for the least amount of money.

How much are you planning to spend? You can buy complete newer systems like Sandy Bridge Pentiums for £50-60.

Mod the socket? Leg pull.

GwanGy

Mod the socket? Leg pull.

The 771 to 775 mod requires a connection shifting sticker, and either the blocking pieces of the socket removed or the CPU notched to fit - may also require a microcode mod in the BIOS for full identification & support

Aha, found it delidded.com/how…os/
    Edited by: "matth9999" 7th Jun

chances of success? 3%... but anyways, I'm using a full power CPU in a microserver, with the original heatsink ( 35 W ) new cpu 65 W ...BUT I never intend for it to be fully loaded ?
    Your increase in TDP is much smaller 105-120 so I wouldn't really see that as much of a barrier at all, much less than modding the CPU oO, the socket oO oO and bios mods oO, oO,:{
    Edited by: "GwanGy" 7th Jun

Original Poster

i have bought the cpu and the motherboard,and it works!! thank you for everyone who responded
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iptv814
      2. How to cancel Virgin Media?812
      3. Mountain bike £200-£30033
      4. Music download22

See more discussions