Xiaomi / Android phones and security

Found 11th Mar
Do you need any other security apps on them or is the Miu /samsung etc security enough. Do they all usually have a firewall like a pc does. I know they have virus scanning apps.

Handy tip if you have a Xiaomi or other non water resistant/proof phone and you never use the headphones, just put a bit of electrical tape over the hole. Or use a rubber/plastic plug if you do use them. Stops any water getting in the hole and turning it into a piece of modern art only.

thanks

Community Updates
AskElectronicsPhones
31 Comments
Xiaomi phones come with sec app built in but no... You don't need any other security apps with android phones although some sleep better when they do. Never install apps outside playstore though... apk files.. Just to be on the safe side
wayners1 h, 1 m ago

Xiaomi phones come with sec app built in but no... You don't need any …Xiaomi phones come with sec app built in but no... You don't need any other security apps with android phones although some sleep better when they do. Never install apps outside playstore though... apk files.. Just to be on the safe side

Do android phones use a firewall though.

Yes im aware of just installing the apps through playstore for security but good info for everyone to follow.
Security on android is poor to say the least, but those chineese phones pretty much come with security flaws built in some at firmware level. If you are privacy conscious stay well away from them!
Can't see why you need a firewall? Although I rarely use public WiFi because it's rubbish and slow compared to 4g, but there are some good vpn services you could use to tunnel encrypted Internet if needed. The instance of problems with security is low on android vs the amount of phones in the wild.
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Mar
Dannyrobbo1 h, 26 m ago

Security on android is poor to say the least, but those chineese phones …Security on android is poor to say the least, but those chineese phones pretty much come with security flaws built in some at firmware level. If you are privacy conscious stay well away from them!

Nonsense.
CoeK4 m ago

Nonsense.

Link, you keep that head buried
Dannyrobbo2 m ago

Which xiaomi phone was in that list of phones?
Dannyrobbo4 m ago

Nonsense.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 11th Mar
CoeK8 m ago

Which xiaomi phone was in that list of phones?

The question was about not just about xaomi phones, be honest though you don’t think security is high on the agenda at xaomi?

They quite often don’t push out android security updates for a start.

Plus I don’t quite get you, are you saying Xaiomi phones are very secure
Dannyrobbo2 m ago

The question was about not just about xaomi phones, be honest though you …The question was about not just about xaomi phones, be honest though you don’t think security is high on the agenda at xaomi?They quite often don’t push out android security updates for a start. Plus I don’t quite get you, are you saying Xaiomi phones are very secure

I'm saying android phones are very secure. However android let's you make actual changes to things that matter and install apps from places other than the play store so users need to think for themselves.
Those interested listen to the security now podcast that explains security issues.
CoeK21 m ago

I'm saying android phones are very secure. However android let's you make …I'm saying android phones are very secure. However android let's you make actual changes to things that matter and install apps from places other than the play store so users need to think for themselves.

Maybe on the latest release, but android by its nature especially on cheaper models fail to receive security updates very quickly nothing to do with the play store that’s a separate issue
Dannyrobbo19 m ago

Maybe on the latest release, but android by its nature especially on …Maybe on the latest release, but android by its nature especially on cheaper models fail to receive security updates very quickly nothing to do with the play store that’s a separate issue

I can only assume you don't use android. You don't have to use the original software or rely on the company that made your phone.
CoeK27 m ago

I can only assume you don't use android. You don't have to use the …I can only assume you don't use android. You don't have to use the original software or rely on the company that made your phone.

I have in the past, the majority of phone users know very little about flashing different android builds. Plus is that not also a risk, custom software at rom level. You are not really selling this from security point of view.

i like android I have an android tablet I like it’s openness but I’d never consider it to be remotely secure
Dannyrobbo41 m ago

I have in the past, the majority of phone users know very little about …I have in the past, the majority of phone users know very little about flashing different android builds. Plus is that not also a risk, custom software at rom level. You are not really selling this from security point of view.i like android I have an android tablet I like it’s openness but I’d never consider it to be remotely secure

Custom ROMs etc isn't difficult. The ignorance of users is really the issue of the users and not the software.
wayners2 h, 39 m ago

Can't see why you need a firewall? Although I rarely use public WiFi …Can't see why you need a firewall? Although I rarely use public WiFi because it's rubbish and slow compared to 4g, but there are some good vpn services you could use to tunnel encrypted Internet if needed. The instance of problems with security is low on android vs the amount of phones in the wild.

Thanks for the info. i just thought youd need one, like you do on a windows computer that was all. Glad its more secure than windows lol
Dannyrobbo3 h, 46 m ago

Security on android is poor to say the least, but those chineese phones …Security on android is poor to say the least, but those chineese phones pretty much come with security flaws built in some at firmware level. If you are privacy conscious stay well away from them!

I dont know anyone whos had an issue with an android phone so i doubt that.
CoeK18 m ago

Custom ROMs etc isn't difficult. The ignorance of users is really the …Custom ROMs etc isn't difficult. The ignorance of users is really the issue of the users and not the software.

Not really, as a user I should not have to flash a custom rom to get latest security updates, my phone should just be supported.

I’m not talking about the difficulty, I’m talking purely security around flashing software at such low level to the hardware, it does not define a secure platform. You clearly don’t understand the security issues around this.
Dannyrobbo30 m ago

Not really, as a user I should not have to flash a custom rom to get …Not really, as a user I should not have to flash a custom rom to get latest security updates, my phone should just be supported. I’m not talking about the difficulty, I’m talking purely security around flashing software at such low level to the hardware, it does not define a secure platform. You clearly don’t understand the security issues around this.

I agree you shouldnt have to go onto a website and learn how to update a phone by flashing, ive never done it myself. It should be supported by law. It smacks of false selling. Most people thought the android phones was secure.

It cant cost that much to do all android phones as the software is similar isnt it or would it cost loads more to protect every android phone in the past 6 years.
Dannyrobbo47 m ago

Not really, as a user I should not have to flash a custom rom to get …Not really, as a user I should not have to flash a custom rom to get latest security updates, my phone should just be supported. I’m not talking about the difficulty, I’m talking purely security around flashing software at such low level to the hardware, it does not define a secure platform. You clearly don’t understand the security issues around this.

Google has a list of phones that get its monthly security updates, something people should read.

Flashing software isn't an issue if you do it properly. If you can't or don't want to do it properly that isn't Google's problem. They make open software to allow people to use it how they like.

If you want to be told how to use your own stuff or don't want the hassle of reading then best to buy something that is on Google's security update list or buy apple stuff.

The android platform itself has multiple layers of protection, you just can't protect against people who ignore all those things.
JMac_D:

Thanks for the info. i just thought youd need one, like you do on a windows computer that was all. Glad its more secure than windows lol

Windows is different to most operating systems. Google playstore app has protection built in. Its under the play store app menu called play protect.. Google last scanned my phone today at 7.03am. All apps fine but if not Google would act. Never happened as I stick to app store. Nothing it 100% safe though. I think if there was trouble Google would auto remove the app ect I would hope
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Mar
CoeK38 m ago

Google has a list of phones that get its monthly security updates, …Google has a list of phones that get its monthly security updates, something people should read.Flashing software isn't an issue if you do it properly. If you can't or don't want to do it properly that isn't Google's problem. They make open software to allow people to use it how they like.If you want to be told how to use your own stuff or don't want the hassle of reading then best to buy something that is on Google's security update list or buy apple stuff.The android platform itself has multiple layers of protection, you just can't protect against people who ignore all those things.

You have gone full circle to further prove my original point, cheap Chinese phones are not secure. They are not regularly updated and by large this makes android less secure by the fact that this is not mandatory or at very least opt in.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 20 m ago

You have gone full circle to further prove my original point, cheap …You have gone full circle to further prove my original point, cheap Chinese phones are not secure. They are not regularly updated and by large this makes android less secure by the fact that this is not mandatory or at very least opt in.

If you want a cheap Chinese phone then put a better rom on it. It isn't rocket science.

However the bit about android not being secure is rubbish. Android has many layers of security that work well. It is just guff that people who don't use android come out with to justify buying an iPhone to themselves.
wayners1 h, 53 m ago

JMac_D:Thanks for the info. i just thought youd need one, like you do on a …JMac_D:Thanks for the info. i just thought youd need one, like you do on a windows computer that was all. Glad its more secure than windows lolWindows is different to most operating systems. Google playstore app has protection built in. Its under the play store app menu called play protect.. Google last scanned my phone today at 7.03am. All apps fine but if not Google would act. Never happened as I stick to app store. Nothing it 100% safe though. I think if there was trouble Google would auto remove the app ect I would hope

Windows 10 has a lot of built in security too. Old windows not so much.
CoeK2 h, 16 m ago

Windows 10 has a lot of built in security too. Old windows not so much.

I miss the flexability of windows 7 pro though.
CoeK8 h, 26 m ago

If you want a cheap Chinese phone then put a better rom on it. It isn't …If you want a cheap Chinese phone then put a better rom on it. It isn't rocket science.However the bit about android not being secure is rubbish. Android has many layers of security that work well. It is just guff that people who don't use android come out with to justify buying an iPhone to themselves.

We are just going round in circles here. On the most basic level android can’t be secure if your phone doesn’t receive regular security updates. Which alot of the cheaper brands don’t do. This we can agree on.
Dannyrobbo46 m ago

We are just going round in circles here. On the most basic level android …We are just going round in circles here. On the most basic level android can’t be secure if your phone doesn’t receive regular security updates. Which alot of the cheaper brands don’t do. This we can agree on.

No, what we are saying is that android is secure. We are also saying it is better to get the regular security updates to continually increase that security however as manufacturers control their own phones that not all phones will have the same level of security.

The android OS itself is very secure.
CoeK2 h, 29 m ago

No, what we are saying is that android is secure. We are also saying it is …No, what we are saying is that android is secure. We are also saying it is better to get the regular security updates to continually increase that security however as manufacturers control their own phones that not all phones will have the same level of security.The android OS itself is very secure.

If that’s what you’d like to believe I will leave you to it.
CoeK12th Mar

No, what we are saying is that android is secure. We are also saying it is …No, what we are saying is that android is secure. We are also saying it is better to get the regular security updates to continually increase that security however as manufacturers control their own phones that not all phones will have the same level of security.The android OS itself is very secure.

My mate has 4 4 2 version on a tablet. Would he be best to use a security app.
JMac_D13th Mar

My mate has 4 4 2 version on a tablet. Would he be best to use a security …My mate has 4 4 2 version on a tablet. Would he be best to use a security app.

I have similar. It does have anti virus but it has never actually came up with anything.
Yes never came up with anything either but he only uses it on his own broadband, so no one should be able to snoop. Not sure how secure it is only being 4 4 2 though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants