Groups

xiaomi android tv power supply

I have a android TV box but the power supply is Chinese/international-its 2 pins and this then goes to a UK adapter thing so it can plug in to socket-this makes it bulky and doesn't fit in.
    does anyone know if using a 5v 2a UK plug would cause a problem if the one that came with it was 5.2/2.1a ?
    could I also use a usb to pin plug?
    I also don't know how to check what size pin end on the plug is required-does anyone know this?

7 Comments

Just get a shaver adaptor

t3rm3y

...does anyone know if using a 5v 2a UK plug would cause a problem if the … ...does anyone know if using a 5v 2a UK plug would cause a problem if the one that came with it was 5.2/2.1a ? could I also use a usb to pin plug?

Any credible 5V 2A supply should meet the box's electrical requirements. You don't quote model of your Xiaomi box but if it's a Mi MDZ-16-AB then the usual power socket uses 4.0mm x1.7mm barrel plug (which may be similar to PSP power supply). You could possibly use a suitable USB to correct size barrel plug cable but the cable itself would need to be rated to at least 2amps and connected to a USB souce capable of supplying 2amps current. USB to 4x1.7 cables start on the bay at 99p ex-UK but some look very flimsy and do not state current rating. You would need to confirm the barrel size of your box's power socket before committing to any replacement option.

Original Poster

thanks andy.it is that model. so I just need to find correct power supply with UK plug and that barrel size.

t3rm3y

thanks andy.it is that model. so I just need to find correct power supply … thanks andy.it is that model. so I just need to find correct power supply with UK plug and that barrel size.

If definitely 4.0/1.7m barrel and you have a USB source available capable of providing at least 2amps (10Watts), you may be able to use this 99p cable that quotes that specification (assuming the cable physically meets that spec) ebay.co.uk/itm…132 . Or if you have an old Tomtom Go 300, 500 and similar you may find that supply is electrically and physically compatible. There's bound to be other devices that use 5V 2A 4/1.7mm supplies.

Original Poster

I had a psp doing nothing so I can use that source, though would be good to get a shorted cable at some point as it's like having a Xbox power brick attached to the box. thanks for the advice and assistance.

t3rm3y

I had a psp doing nothing so I can use that source, though would be good … I had a psp doing nothing so I can use that source, though would be good to get a shorted cable at some point as it's like having a Xbox power brick attached to the box. thanks for the advice and assistance.

I mentioned PSP in my first post but erred against mentioning it again as many PSP PSUs are rated less than 2A. But hey: if it works: result!

Original Poster

oh ok. better check the rating . I have a spare usb plug so might just get the cable and go with that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2649
      2. plusnet mobile terrible35
      3. Virgin Media - what is a good price?26
      4. Recommend a free reminder app1314

See more discussions