Xiaomi App Drawer has arrived (Redmi Note 8T)

Posted 13th May
Just had the update today on my phone (check yours), completely transforms it for me.

Just letting people know.

3462700.jpg
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

22 Comments
Need to ask. What does it do?
Got same update on Mi 8 - except I'm sure it's been there for a while. Not enabled it though, as I don't have many apps I don't want on the home screen anyway. And I've kind of got used to it now anyway.
FreeDeal13/05/2020 13:43

Need to ask. What does it do?

Android traditionally used an app drawer, or a single icon that opened up all the apps installed on your device, which will usually be sorted alphabetically.

Xiaomi (and most Chinese manufacturers) interface tended to be similar to iOS which puts all your apps on the home screen. You remove an app from the home screen, it uninstalls. With the app drawer, you don't see the apps on the home screen unless you want them there.
alg13/05/2020 14:09

Android traditionally used an app drawer, or a single icon that opened up …Android traditionally used an app drawer, or a single icon that opened up all the apps installed on your device, which will usually be sorted alphabetically. Xiaomi (and most Chinese manufacturers) interface tended to be similar to iOS which puts all your apps on the home screen. You remove an app from the home screen, it uninstalls. With the app drawer, you don't see the apps on the home screen unless you want them there.

Cheers. Asked as I have this phone
Wasn't sure what update done.
FreeDeal13/05/2020 14:12

Cheers. Asked as I have this phoneWasn't sure what update done.

Many users prefer the app drawer, and if a phone doesn't have it, will use alternative launchers, like Nova, to get one. I use it on my tablet, but haven't really missed it on my phone. Not enough to change it just now anyway.
Got the update on mi max 3 earlier, probably still keep using Nova though as it's not just the app drawer it improves
Great, thanks for the heads up, just installed on my mi 9t pro, had been putting all my installed apps into an folder called "apps" as a workaround and manual sorting alphabetically.
Yeah I think most people will have got around it by now, but I literally upgraded from a G7 power yesterday, instantly hated having to sort out the 169 apps it installed from my backup and now had the update today. Guess I got lucky haha.
what MIUI version? I had an app drawer in MIUI 11 on my Mi 9T Pro months back....

You can also always just install Poco Launcher, still by Xiaomi but enables the app drawer without losing any MI features (If that's your thing). Personally the first thing I install on any of my phones is Nova Launcher
Uridium13/05/2020 15:10

what MIUI version? I had an app drawer in MIUI 11 on my Mi 9T Pro months …what MIUI version? I had an app drawer in MIUI 11 on my Mi 9T Pro months back....You can also always just install Poco Launcher, still by Xiaomi but enables the app drawer without losing any MI features (If that's your thing). Personally the first thing I install on any of my phones is Nova Launcher

That's why I mentioned that I was sure I'd had it for a while on my Mi 8 - it's had MUIU 11 for a while now. I'm OK with MIUI - there was always something about Nova that annoyed me, but not tried it again for years now. (even used my Google reqrds money to pay for the premium version too)
alg13/05/2020 15:38

That's why I mentioned that I was sure I'd had it for a while on my Mi 8 - …That's why I mentioned that I was sure I'd had it for a while on my Mi 8 - it's had MUIU 11 for a while now. I'm OK with MIUI - there was always something about Nova that annoyed me, but not tried it again for years now. (even used my Google reqrds money to pay for the premium version too)

hmm...Nova can be overwhelming as there are just so many Options but this does mean you can usually customise out anything that annoys. I don't dislike MIUI but I like to have the left page Google feed and sadly this isn't enabled on MIUI apart from in one or two countries ...( I used to run Xiaomi.EU roms as they have google feed option)

I'm using a Samsung at the moment and have to say I prefer MIUI over Samsung's OneUI skin so am using Nova again on it...
Uridium13/05/2020 15:10

what MIUI version? I had an app drawer in MIUI 11 on my Mi 9T Pro months …what MIUI version? I had an app drawer in MIUI 11 on my Mi 9T Pro months back....You can also always just install Poco Launcher, still by Xiaomi but enables the app drawer without losing any MI features (If that's your thing). Personally the first thing I install on any of my phones is Nova Launcher

It wasn't MIUI that updated, it was the system launcher as shown in the screenshot on my OP.

Guess the higher model phones got it first.

40735990-1HKeQ.jpg
Nickraz213/05/2020 16:03

It wasn't MIUI that updated, it was the system launcher as shown in the …It wasn't MIUI that updated, it was the system launcher as shown in the screenshot on my OP.Guess the higher model phones got it first.[Image]

Appreciate that, what I meant though was the launcher update will be specific to the MIUI version, those on MIUI 8, 9 or 10 might not be getting the App drawer update in the Launcher app.
Uridium13/05/2020 16:06

Appreciate that, what I meant though was the launcher update will be …Appreciate that, what I meant though was the launcher update will be specific to the MIUI version, those on MIUI 8, 9 or 10 might not be getting the App drawer update in the Launcher app.

Strange how you and others are on MIUI 11 though and already have it, must be staggered over the devices.
Uridium13/05/2020 15:45

hmm...Nova can be overwhelming as there are just so many Options but this …hmm...Nova can be overwhelming as there are just so many Options but this does mean you can usually customise out anything that annoys. I don't dislike MIUI but I like to have the left page Google feed and sadly this isn't enabled on MIUI apart from in one or two countries ...( I used to run Xiaomi.EU roms as they have google feed option)I'm using a Samsung at the moment and have to say I prefer MIUI over Samsung's OneUI skin so am using Nova again on it...

I moved away from Samsung back in the days of TouchWiz (Galaxy S3) - I believe OneUI is better though. Since then, all my phones have been Sim Free. But EMUI and MIUI have been fine for me. Customisation doesn't bother me too much - it just become too much like my day job though...
odd cause I always update as soon as I get the option/notification, been on MIUI 11 for a while now and only found the app drawer update after seeing this post, perhaps it was there but failed to notify me (on 9T pro)
athunder13/05/2020 16:53

odd cause I always update as soon as I get the option/notification, been …odd cause I always update as soon as I get the option/notification, been on MIUI 11 for a while now and only found the app drawer update after seeing this post, perhaps it was there but failed to notify me (on 9T pro)

Yeah that's strange, you still got the option turned on to receive the notifications for it?

Cog in the top right.
athunder13/05/2020 16:53

odd cause I always update as soon as I get the option/notification, been …odd cause I always update as soon as I get the option/notification, been on MIUI 11 for a while now and only found the app drawer update after seeing this post, perhaps it was there but failed to notify me (on 9T pro)

Just had a quick look back through the system app history - my phone says the app drawer was available on an update of the system launcher dated 14th Feb 2020 - looking at it, I assume that's the date I installed it rather than the app release date.
Nickraz213/05/2020 16:55

Yeah that's strange, you still got the option turned on to receive the …Yeah that's strange, you still got the option turned on to receive the notifications for it?Cog in the top right.

yeah it's on

alg13/05/2020 16:57

Just had a quick look back through the system app history - my phone says …Just had a quick look back through the system app history - my phone says the app drawer was available on an update of the system launcher dated 14th Feb 2020 - looking at it, I assume that's the date I installed it rather than the app release date.

oh yeah, I have that too, I guess we've all had the option a while then but just didn't notice
Nova launcher is all you need.
EN1GMA13/05/2020 18:24

Nova launcher is all you need.

That's the thing with Android. It's customisable. So Nova is all they might need. Or not.
alg13/05/2020 18:37

That's the thing with Android. It's customisable. So Nova is all they …That's the thing with Android. It's customisable. So Nova is all they might need. Or not.

I don't even know what my phone original ui looks like. I just slap on nova and boom.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions