Xiaomi are coming to the UK!

Found 3rd May
Finally, after launching in Spain last year, Xiaomi are coming to the UK! Their products will be sold exclusively through Three by the looks of it.

A specific date hasn't been announced, but hopefully it will be soon!

Source here (Tech Radar): techradar.com/new…-uk

And here (Android Authority):
androidauthority.com/xia…83/
Community Updates
MiscXiaomi
38 Comments
So the prices are going up! Posative for UK versions of the roms though I suppose...
Edited by: "Krooner" 3rd May
Krooner32 m ago

So the prices are going up! Posative for UK versions of the roms though I …So the prices are going up! Posative for UK versions of the roms though I suppose...

Prices in the UK will probably be higher, but now we finally have an option to buy Xiaomi products with UK warranty/delivery times/service. I know amazon.co.uk sell Xiaomi products (sold and dispatched by Amazon) but they are overpriced.
For me this is good news. All about the choices!
Shame it's just phones . I have their robot vacuum and it has been the best purchase I have made in my life
mattsk26 m ago

Shame it's just phones . I have their robot vacuum and it has been the …Shame it's just phones . I have their robot vacuum and it has been the best purchase I have made in my life

Actually, Three may be selling other products from Xiaomi.

According to Android Authority:

“We have been watching Xiaomi’s success from afar and impressed with the huge range of connected devices that they currently offer,” said Tom Malleschitz, chief digital officer at Three’s U.K. division.

“This partnership provides us with another leading brand in our smartphone range and also opens the door for innovative new connected products that we can provide to Three customers in the future. So watch this space.”
Edited by: "jamie015" 3rd May
Xiaomi is partnering with oculus vr too

Bigger things ahead for them
jamie0153rd May

Actually, Three may be selling other products from Xiaomi.According to …Actually, Three may be selling other products from Xiaomi.According to Android Authority: “We have been watching Xiaomi’s success from afar and impressed with the huge range of connected devices that they currently offer,” said Tom Malleschitz, chief digital officer at Three’s U.K. division.“This partnership provides us with another leading brand in our smartphone range and also opens the door for innovative new connected products that we can provide to Three customers in the future. So watch this space.”

BAM!!, excellenté. :-)
RadiantDuck6 h, 54 m ago

For me this is good news. All about the choices!

I couldn't agree more. :-D
Krooner8 h, 23 m ago

So the prices are going up! Posative for UK versions of the roms though I …So the prices are going up! Posative for UK versions of the roms though I suppose...

I couldn't have put it better myself, lol.
Let's see competition between grey markets and UK seller
amour3k5 h, 45 m ago

I couldn't have put it better myself, lol.

I don't know, you could've spelt positive correctly...
mrwhitelabel13 h, 13 m ago

Xiaomi is partnering with oculus vr tooBigger things ahead for them

xiaomi have manufactured the product. its all about hugo barra, former very important guy with xiaomi, now with FB. this is fantastic news. I love my xiaomi products and even though prices may go up, will still be cheaper than the alternatives.
Krooner21 h, 26 m ago

Not necessarily, the prices in UK will be more expensive but it doesn't mean you can no longer get it cheap shipped from Hong Kong, it's just another option

Hopefully the prices ain't much higher, if they're I'll continue buying them from China
Edited by: "Norseg" 4th May
Norseg1 h, 27 m ago

Not necessarily, the prices in UK will be more expensive but it doesn't …Not necessarily, the prices in UK will be more expensive but it doesn't mean you can no longer get it cheap shipped from Hong Kong, it's just another optionHopefully the prices ain't much higher, if they're I'll continue buying them from China

certain things i'll get from china, other things i'll get from uk suppliers. something like a wall light switch, i'll get from UK but say motion sensors, i'll get from china.

three could do really well out of this.
EN1GMA25 m ago

certain things i'll get from china, other things i'll get from uk …certain things i'll get from china, other things i'll get from uk suppliers. something like a wall light switch, i'll get from UK but say motion sensors, i'll get from china.three could do really well out of this.

If they don't mess up

Most UK owners of Xiaomi products got the item shipped from China for cheap

If Three overcharges I'll prefer to import it
For example if a phone is £60 from Gearbest and £100 from Three I'll definitely choose china
I have been saying it for about the last 3 years that Xiaomi could do with having a deal with a provider here on phones like ZTE and Huawei have done in the past with such white-label products.
Norseg5 m ago

If they don't mess up Most UK owners of Xiaomi products got the item …If they don't mess up Most UK owners of Xiaomi products got the item shipped from China for cheapIf Three overcharges I'll prefer to import itFor example if a phone is £60 from Gearbest and £100 from Three I'll definitely choose china

If Three charges 20% more for a phone that is fully GSM band compatible, has NFC as standard and a UK warranty I think it would sway many people.
cicobuff18 m ago

If Three charges 20% more for a phone that is fully GSM band compatible, …If Three charges 20% more for a phone that is fully GSM band compatible, has NFC as standard and a UK warranty I think it would sway many people.

Depends on the price range

What if it's more than 20% more?
Ill like to buy Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S but it's too expensive to buy from China
Norseg39 m ago

Depends on the price rangeWhat if it's more than 20% more?Ill like to buy …Depends on the price rangeWhat if it's more than 20% more?Ill like to buy Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S but it's too expensive to buy from China

None of us know exactly what price range, I would somehow doubt that there would be more than 20% markup, there again who is to say that they will be releasing the same range of phones?...could be exclusive models badged Three, could be similar to existing Xiaomi ranges of phones with minor differences just like ZTE did with the 'Smart' range of phones for Vodafone.

The point being, regardless of what they put out on these shores they will be warranteed, will have a UK rom, unrooted, and most importantly as such be NFC compatible with Google Pay. People will pay a premium for that, providing phone specs offer good value against the competition, of which I am sure that is Three's intentions just like Vodafone did with their ZTE white-label products.
cicobuff45 m ago

None of us know exactly what price range, I would somehow doubt that there …None of us know exactly what price range, I would somehow doubt that there would be more than 20% markup, there again who is to say that they will be releasing the same range of phones?...could be exclusive models badged Three, could be similar to existing Xiaomi ranges of phones with minor differences just like ZTE did with the 'Smart' range of phones for Vodafone. The point being, regardless of what they put out on these shores they will be warranteed, will have a UK rom, unrooted, and most importantly as such be NFC compatible with Google Pay. People will pay a premium for that, providing phone specs offer good value against the competition, of which I am sure that is Three's intentions just like Vodafone did with their ZTE white-label products.

Most of them already have all those features
Also what do you mean unrooted? My Xiaomi Phone isn't rooted, not entirely sure if I can root it, NFC is a standard now isn't it?
Norseg35 m ago

Most of them already have all those featuresAlso what do you mean …Most of them already have all those featuresAlso what do you mean unrooted? My Xiaomi Phone isn't rooted, not entirely sure if I can root it, NFC is a standard now isn't it?

It all depends on whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked, once the security feature has gone Google Pay does not work regardless of whether or not the phone has NFC...a good number of Chinese phones do not even have NFC as standard.
Three did deal an exclusive with Lenovo, with their p2 great spec and price then hung us out to dry with no support or android update after 6months and discontinued it.
Hope not the same from Xiaomi
mrwhitelabel36 m ago

Three did deal an exclusive with Lenovo, with their p2 great spec and …Three did deal an exclusive with Lenovo, with their p2 great spec and price then hung us out to dry with no support or android update after 6months and discontinued it.Hope not the same from Xiaomi

Hopefully not. I do think Xiaomi will do better though because there isn't a large Lenovo phone fanbase in the UK (or in most places) but Xiaomi is quite popular. I hope Xiaomi stores open up here too as I would love to go to one!
Edited by: "jamie015" 5th May
Xioami will never gain enough traction in the UK to take on Huawei. Huawei are the beast in terms of Chinese flagships.
preecey1 h, 0 m ago

Xioami will never gain enough traction in the UK to take on Huawei. Huawei …Xioami will never gain enough traction in the UK to take on Huawei. Huawei are the beast in terms of Chinese flagships.

Although the market is crowded, Xiaomi have the potential to do well. Even if they don't take over Huawei, they have the potential to get a decent market share.

It all depends on the price in the end - if Xiaomi are cheaper than Huawei and have better specs/quality for the price it's possible!
deleted1336857
Brilliant news! Especially with a 12 month warranty, next day delivery. I expect 30% over import prices.

The issues I see is the grey market phones drop in price fairly quickly.

I notice the Mi 6X which will probably be renamed to Mi A1 2nd generation is more than expected at £257 for 64GB -4GB RAM at preorder.

From Banggood (I tried to post link, but it said 'banggood are banned) are they?

I wouldn't pay 30% on top from 3 UK, as we are into Nokia 7 plus pricing...

....and my 1st gen Mi A1 was only £170 for 64GB

It will be interesting to see how 3 UK will price it and also how quickly, if at all the price drops.

I notice Xiaomi were in the best selling list for first quarter 2018 with Redmi 5A

businesswire.com/new…one

Anyway I'm made up, so far!
Edited by: "deleted1336857" 6th May
jamie01513 h, 0 m ago

Hopefully not. I do think Xiaomi will do better though because there isn't …Hopefully not. I do think Xiaomi will do better though because there isn't a large Lenovo phone fanbase in the UK (or in most places) but Xiaomi is quite popular. I hope Xiaomi stores open up here too as I would love to go to one!

Agreed. They make everything, from earphones to short throw laser projectors to pens to robot vacuum cleaners. To actually be able to go to a physical shop and see it all would be great. And so far, pretty much everything they make gets very good reviews too.
They are in Greece already aren't they and maybe Spain, I wonder how pricing there is, may be a UK guideline Vs Chinese pricing
deleted1336857
mrwhitelabel1 h, 34 m ago

They are in Greece already aren't they and maybe Spain, I wonder how …They are in Greece already aren't they and maybe Spain, I wonder how pricing there is, may be a UK guideline Vs Chinese pricing

They have a store in Madrid and Barcelona, not sure about Greece.

Xiaomi Madrid

Mi 5X is €279 Spain or £247
xiaomi-espana.com/epa…585

Gearbest price:

£188

m.gearbest.com/cel…363

So 31.38% more from Spain verses grey market.

Hey I was not far off with my 30% guess in previous post!

So what would you be getting for the extra £59?

Pluses:

• No unpleasant surprises, package not arriving, 'dispute', additional charges aka 'headaches'!
• next day delivery, particularly beneficial if you really need a phone 'quick'.
• 12 month warranty, UK based support
• UK spec
• I would say a returns policy but my experience with 3 on that is not good
• device has extra safety checks (not sure on this, but would think so) and network checks
• possible/probably NFC
• helping UK economy

Minus:
It's £59 more !

All above assuming 3 UK work on 30% above grey market price.

Imo it's worth it, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 30% (+/- a percent or two)
Greece doesn't have that model it seems But Mi 6 is €399. ---- €349.88 on gearbest
Mi A1 is €229 (32gb)/ €249(64 GB) ---
Gearbest €154.94/€163.27

Mi MiX2 €549 (64gb)/ mi mix2s€699 (128gb) ----
Gearbest
Mix mix2 549.81 (64gb)
mi mix2s 641.71 (128gb,)
deleted1336857
So based on:

Mi A1 is €249(64 GB) --- £220
Gearbest €163.27 --- £144

Percentage difference Greece:

52.77%

Um!

mi mix2s €699 (128gb) ---- £619
Gearbest

mi mix2s €641.71 (128gb,) ---£568

8.98%

Average

52.77 + 8.98/2

= 30.88%

This demonstrates what I mentioned before about the Chinese grey market price drops, it really effects% if Europe don't drop price also.
Based on Mi A1, they appear to have a policy of NOT discounting for older models (Mi A1 launch September 2017).

Nevertheless, still coming out at the sweet spot 30% when averaging with a new and 'old' device.

Summary of pricing:

Older devices could cost as much a 50% more from 3 UK

Newer devices won't be to much different verses China grey market, say 10%

All this is speculation of course!
deleted13368576th May

They have a store in Madrid and Barcelona, not sure about Greece.Xiaomi …They have a store in Madrid and Barcelona, not sure about Greece.Xiaomi Madrid [Video] Mi 5X is €279 Spain or £247http://www.xiaomi-espana.com/epages/ec8585.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/ec8585Gearbest price:£188https://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_704565.html?wid=1433363So 31.38% more from Spain verses grey market.Hey I was not far off with my 30% guess in previous post!So what would you be getting for the extra £59?Pluses:• No unpleasant surprises, package not arriving, 'dispute', additional charges aka 'headaches'!• next day delivery, particularly beneficial if you really need a phone 'quick'.• 12 month warranty, UK based support• UK spec• I would say a returns policy but my experience with 3 on that is not good• device has extra safety checks (not sure on this, but would think so) and network checks• possible/probably NFC• helping UK economyMinus:It's £59 more !All above assuming 3 UK work on 30% above grey market price.Imo it's worth it, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 30% (+/- a percent or two)

With the chance of customs and Dodgy return policies I'd rather pay the extra and get all the benefits you've listed.
deleted1336857
RadiantDuck24 m ago

With the chance of customs and Dodgy return policies I'd rather pay the …With the chance of customs and Dodgy return policies I'd rather pay the extra and get all the benefits you've listed.

I 100% agree.
This may be a stupid question, but aren't they guaranteed to be at least 20% higher anyway to cover the cost of VAT? Or are we all assuming they'll negotiate a lower item price based on a larger number of sales?

I'm not that familiar with the way that VAT and customs would work in this instance (or in any instance, for that matter), but it does seem likely that the prices would have to go up to some degree just for those reasons.

Of course, it's also perfectly possible that I've missed something obvious here...

As a side note, based on the very helpful posts of deany76 and mrwhitelabel, it seems like it may just end up being priced on a case by case basis.

Also, apologies for digging up a 4 month old thread, I only just came across this from a 'Hot Deal'. Having bought 6 Xiaomi phones in the last 2 years for various family members we've already decided we'll never be buying another Samsung or HTC again, if it can be helped. And since we're already with Three this'll be a great way to get one of their higher end phones like the Mix series without such a high initial outlay. Now, if we can just get them to do some waterproofing I'd be tremendously happy!
Nice bump from May, still no Xiaomi UK
getting closer. After Spain, they are now in France
deleted1336857
Yep, get a move on THREE Mobile UK, SIM free Xiaomi.
deleted133685728th Aug

Yep, get a move on THREE Mobile UK, SIM free Xiaomi.

A couple of months ago they were asking questions about whether people knew/liked Xiaomi and what sort of Xiaomi products we'd want stocked on Facebook. Heard nothing since then, Tweeted at them and got this.

Unfortunately, no news.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants