Xiaomi Have Recalled Approximately 10,000+ Electric Scooters

Posted 19th Sep
The Model in question is the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter M365

I've only just seen the recall on this, even though it was back in June. As they're a popular item on here, I thought I should give it a shout just in case any of you have one or know someone that does.

The recall is due to a screw coming loose in the folding mechanism. It's probably a simple fix, but they to stress that you shouldn't try and fix it yourself

"As such, we are encouraging all those who purchased this product to immediately stop using the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter (M365) until they have determined whether their scooter is part of the recall. Related details appear below."

If you bought from the likes of Gearbest / AliExpress, it's not clear whether you'll be able to get a refund or replacement scooter. There's no harm in checking with them though, or indeed speaking to Mi and seeing if there's anything that can be done

The affected serial numbers (S/N) range from: 21074/00000316 - 21074/00015107 and 16133/00541209 - 16133/00544518.

More information and Verification tool on the Mi Main site HERE

Original Tweet By Xiaomi UK - HERE

3296571.jpg

The following is from the above link

"Warning: If any user notices a screw coming loose on their scooter, please DO NOT try to fix the issue on your own. We strongly encourage users to read our instructions carefully before operating. *Disclaimer: Any scooters that were modified are not part of this recall.

"How to Determine if Your Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter (M365) is Subject to RecallConsumers who purchased the product can easily determine if their Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter (M365) is subject to recall by entering the serial number in the box below. The serial number can be located as shown.

If your device is part of the product safety recall program, you will immediately receive a prompt asking to enter your email address. Within 72 hours, you will receive additional information regarding the repair of Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter at no cost to you.

We appreciate your cooperation in this important matter"

3296571.jpg

Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
KM435319/09/2019 11:56

Should definitely be legalised and regulated imo.

It will once they figure out how to bend the everyday people over and extort as much money as possible from them in the name of tax in the process.
What a time to be alive when the public is advised against fixing a faulty screw/bolt themselves.
Really appreciate the information, thanks for sharing. I will try to spread the word to my close ones as well and those who I notice are using them.
For those looking at sending their scooter off to be fixed - be wary! SBE Ltd who are the official Xiaomi repair centre in the UK are shambolic! I sent mine off in good faith to be fixed and it came back with a warped back break disk and missing stem screws. Check out their rating in Trustpilot, there are some rather worrying reviews...
Edited by: "punkaxis" 19th Sep
76 Comments
Is this the existing recall??
Glad I didn’t buy one now just in case
Really appreciate the information, thanks for sharing. I will try to spread the word to my close ones as well and those who I notice are using them.
thanks for the notification OP, thankfully not affected.
Xiaomi scooters look dope wish I could try one.
Misslovely19/09/2019 10:58

It looks like it:

"October 27, 2018 and December 5, 2018"

I checked mine when I got it a few weeks back and it was not included, with a 2019 manufacture date.
My brother fixed it himself. Nothing there to worry about.
deleted2172605
the one i bought in the last sale on gearbest posted on HUKD was not part of the recall thankfully.
Just throw a bit of threadlock on .. bish bash bosh!!
What a time to be alive when the public is advised against fixing a faulty screw/bolt themselves.
For those looking at sending their scooter off to be fixed - be wary! SBE Ltd who are the official Xiaomi repair centre in the UK are shambolic! I sent mine off in good faith to be fixed and it came back with a warped back break disk and missing stem screws. Check out their rating in Trustpilot, there are some rather worrying reviews...
Edited by: "punkaxis" 19th Sep
aren't these still illegal on the public footpaths and roads? i've never seen it enforced, so wondering whether to risk it.

bbc.co.uk/new…617
Edited by: "MattEdwards" 19th Sep
MattEdwards19/09/2019 11:53

aren't these still illegal on the public footpaths and roads? i've never …aren't these still illegal on the public footpaths and roads? i've never seen it enforced, so wondering whether to risk it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

It will once they figure out how to bend the everyday people over and extort as much money as possible from them in the name of tax in the process.

aren't these still illegal on the public footpaths and roads? i've never …aren't these still illegal on the public footpaths and roads? i've never seen it enforced, so wondering whether to risk it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

They should be. It's illegal to ride on the pavement as an adult on a push bike.
Yep, I took advantage when Halfords was doing the straight swap for a new one. Only took the old scooter itself, ended up with an extra charger and tyres.
They were forced to issue the recall. Awful company. Their customer service is a disgrace!
Wow, didn't expect a recall from Xiaomi. Great company! I personally prefer it over Samsung or Apple when it comes to phones (not trying to start anything).
Aivaras150_19/09/2019 11:20

My brother fixed it himself. Nothing there to worry about.

Except he's voided his warranty ... It's now modified.
Yeah this recall was announced in june it only effects older models i checked my model on there website and it says your model is not affected
Edited by: "_Tris_" 19th Sep
guru40419/09/2019 12:16

They should be. It's illegal to ride on the pavement as an adult on a …They should be. It's illegal to ride on the pavement as an adult on a push bike.

They are illegal to ride on the pavements, but also illegal to ride on the road too, so the only place you can legally ride one is on private land. This is being enforced more across the country as more people get them and ride them on the roads and pavements. Recently in London the police were stopping people on electric scooters and informing them of the law (but not enforcing it), most people knew it wasn't legal but were carrying on anyway.

Yes definitely it would make life easier for many people as long as the proper safety is followed when useing one i dont see a problem
You shouldn't try to tighten a screw yourself?

It's not rocket science... Insert screwdriver, twist, boom job done.
Misslovely19/09/2019 10:58

Yeah only effects older models but check yours if you haven't
Edited by: "_Tris_" 19th Sep
Bortyboy19/09/2019 11:51

Just throw a bit of threadlock on .. bish bash bosh!!

Not really a nut and bolt its the folding mechanism on the older models

People pass police on them all the time in london half the time they dont care
_Tris_19/09/2019 12:53

People pass police on them all the time in london half the time they dont …People pass police on them all the time in london half the time they dont care

i suppose they will only act when they want to, i'm going to leave it for now....

bbc.co.uk/new…427
Bigfootpete19/09/2019 12:39

You shouldn't try to tighten a screw yourself? It's not rocket science... …You shouldn't try to tighten a screw yourself? It's not rocket science... Insert screwdriver, twist, boom job done.

It can snap and it can come loose seriously dangerous! Definitely send it back if yours is affected only older models though
Bigfootpete19/09/2019 12:39

You shouldn't try to tighten a screw yourself? It's not rocket science... …You shouldn't try to tighten a screw yourself? It's not rocket science... Insert screwdriver, twist, boom job done.

Yeh, but... healthy and safety. You might break a finger nail and sue.
If this was apple and you didn’t take out the care package they would have charged you £499.
dribblesmactavish19/09/2019 12:34

They are illegal to ride on the pavements, but also illegal to ride on the …They are illegal to ride on the pavements, but also illegal to ride on the road too

To be honest, with the idiots on the road around my area - You're probably better off walking anyway.
Good luck getting it fixed.

I requested mine from the beginning, they sent the box, but after that nothing, emails after emails, lies and lies by the company Xiaomi have contracted called SBE ltd, the most unprofessional, incompetent, shoddy company I have ever experienced. 3 months on, the scooter is still not repaired and SBE will not respond to anything and Xiaomi do not care either.

If you google SBE ltd and look at the reviews other people are having the same issues and people who have had their scooter picked, have had it returned with faults and damages.

The whole thing is a joke.
oh .. its not like these are illegal or anything on public roads and footpaths in the UK
This is one reason why we pay taxes in the UK, to ensure things are properly regulated from point of sale but also so complaints are upheld and retailers and manufacturers are forced to take action under threat of fines.

Frankly I therefore have little sympathy with anyone who bought these directly from China en didn't pay VAT or exise duty. And come on, you should know not to buy something that's not road legal here unless you want to use it on test tracks alone.

Well maybe I do have some sympathy, given theses devices get listed on HoUKDeals I think they should take some responsibility and dip into their profits to help people that have been affected.
Edited by: "supermann" 19th Sep
supermann19/09/2019 13:48

This is one reason why we pay taxes in the UK, to ensure things are …This is one reason why we pay taxes in the UK, to ensure things are properly regulated from point of purchase but also so complaints are upheld and retailers and manufactures are forced to take action under threat of fines.Frankly I therefore have no sympathy with anyone who bought these directly from China en didn't pay VAT or educate duty. And come on, you should know not to buy something that's not road legal here unless you want to use it on test tracks alone.

Product recalls can happen with any item, in any countrty
supermann19/09/2019 13:48

This is one reason why we pay taxes in the UK, to ensure things are …This is one reason why we pay taxes in the UK, to ensure things are properly regulated from point of sale but also so complaints are upheld and retailers and manufacturers are forced to take action under threat of fines.Frankly I therefore have little sympathy with anyone who bought these directly from China en didn't pay VAT or exise duty. And come on, you should know not to buy something that's not road legal here unless you want to use it on test tracks alone.Well maybe I do have some sympathy, given theses devices get listed on HoUKDeals I think they should take some responsibility and dip into their profits to help people that have been affected.

1) Xiaomi are a legitimate company, they aren't some cowboy outfit, designs faults etc happen to every company.
2) The scooter is sold in the UK legally from UK retail outlets, not all are imported from China.
3) You have to pay import duties on the scooter if you import because of the size and cost it gets picked up by customs.
4) The law on scooters is ridiculous and hopefully it will be getting changed in the near future, if it wasn't for the popularity of these scooters the talk of this change wouldn't even happen, thankfully it is.
Idris19/09/2019 15:34

1) Xiaomi are a legitimate company, they aren't some cowboy outfit, …1) Xiaomi are a legitimate company, they aren't some cowboy outfit, designs faults etc happen to every company.2) The scooter is sold in the UK legally from UK retail outlets, not all are imported from China.3) You have to pay import duties on the scooter if you import because of the size and cost it gets picked up by customs.4) The law on scooters is ridiculous and hopefully it will be getting changed in the near future, if it wasn't for the popularity of these scooters the talk of this change wouldn't even happen, thankfully it is.

1) I didn't say anything about UK bought scooters, I referred specifically to those bought directly from China
2) I made reference to redress for people who buy products sold in the UK
3) Products like these get through customs, normally by shipping them via Poland
4) I strongly doubt people are buying these products so they can wait for a change in the law

Regards popularity causing a change in the law, I would cite the example of electric bikes. People have been buying electric bikes that aren't rated to ride on UK roads for over a decade, and the law still hasn't been changed. This is even though a change to 350watt rated motors would bring us inline with most of the rest of the EU.
They have a large Xiaomi shop in Westfield, and i'd presume others. So yes very legitimate and no correlation to the odd tax statement. The situation is similar to any item that people may try and grey import vs buy from a local retailer.
Edited by: "richukdeal" 19th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants