Groups

XIAOMI Help

Hi HUKD Community,

So the recent posts here about XIAOMI phones have convinced me to invest in one, just need a little help please...

I think Mi5 is the best phone from XIAOMI for its value? Is there a better one?
    Where to buy,Aliexpress, Gearbest, Bangood etc... As I have been reading there are some site you purchased from the phone comes with official Global ROM and not from others.

Thanks in advance

26 Comments

I have the redmi 3s prime (not sure how it compares spec or price wise to the mi5)

I got it from aliexpress(gearbest messed me around for 2 weeks until they said they couldn't deliver), took about 3 weeks to arrive. The listing stated that the global ROM was on the phone I ordered and it came with an EU to UK plug adapter.

I wasn't a fan of the Miui, but after installing Nova launcher to make it look like stock android it's been good. A few crashes when ram was low, and it somehow undid all my notification settings when I rebooted the phone the other day (took me 5 mins just to put the ringtones back on etc). But other than those I'm very happy with it.

Original Poster

Gatey10

I have the redmi 3s prime (not sure how it compares spec or price wise to … I have the redmi 3s prime (not sure how it compares spec or price wise to the mi5)I got it from aliexpress(gearbest messed me around for 2 weeks until they said they couldn't deliver), took about 3 weeks to arrive. The listing stated that the global ROM was on the phone I ordered and it came with an EU to UK plug adapter. I wasn't a fan of the Miui, but after installing Nova launcher to make it look like stock android it's been good. A few crashes when ram was low, and it somehow undid all my notification settings when I rebooted the phone the other day (took me 5 mins just to put the ringtones back on etc). But other than those I'm very happy with it.

​Cheers for that, I think Mi5 is a better spec so if any owners of Mi5 out there? I tried to find on the listings at Aliexpress but couldn't see Global ROM mention anywhere.

I have had a note 2 for over a year now. I always buy from DX.com. They're normally a little more expensive than the other sites you mentioned....But I've never had a problem with them. As for Xiaomi..I think they make great quality high spec phones...Would recommend to anyone.

Look at the Lenovo P2 from 3 Stores for £199.....it's as good as the gearbest/dx phones but a whole lot less hassle

Metal bodied, 5.5" 1080p screen, 4gb ram/32gb storage, and a massive 5100MaH battery.....

If they are the same "quality" as the mi bands, id avoid. Had 2, now both stopped working properly. Cheap for a reason.

good value weakest point seems to be their cameras

Original Poster

Uridium

Look at the Lenovo P2 from 3 Stores for £199.....it's as good as the … Look at the Lenovo P2 from 3 Stores for £199.....it's as good as the gearbest/dx phones but a whole lot less hassleMetal bodied, 5.5" 1080p screen, 4gb ram/32gb storage, and a massive 5100MaH battery.....

I will look at P2 but considering it has 5100 MaH battery, it will be a lot heavier than Xiaomi Mi5

i have a mi5 i bought it from a chinese seller from ebay for £145. Arrived pretty quickly and then i just requested the boot loader to be unlocked (took 3 days) - now running Miui 8 (Android Nougat). Very stable. Awesome battery life. Cant recommend the budget phone enough

Original Poster

krishna18388

i have a mi5 i bought it from a chinese seller from ebay for £145. … i have a mi5 i bought it from a chinese seller from ebay for £145. Arrived pretty quickly and then i just requested the boot loader to be unlocked (took 3 days) - now running Miui 8 (Android Nougat). Very stable. Awesome battery life. Cant recommend the budget phone enough

thats cheap at £145, so it didnt come with Official Global ROM?

Original Poster

Also thinking of getting one for the Mrs in 5" screen range... perhaps Xiaomi Redmi 4...

kamania

thats cheap at £145, so it didnt come with Official Global ROM?

yes very cheap. I was expecting to be hit with customs but managed to get away with that too. Did not come with the official global rom. Came with a modified chinese rom. was very easy to change it to the global rom though. Plenty of helpful guides available online

I have a mi5 from Geekbuying with global rom for £175.

Took about 3 weeks to come was in December though, dudn't get taxed and the phone is excellent.

For a so called budget phone look at video reviews etc as it's always compared to the latest Samsung and iPhone flagships, it rates very closely to there performance for a much cheaper price.

Original Poster

theg

I have a mi5 from Geekbuying with global rom for £175.Took about 3 weeks … I have a mi5 from Geekbuying with global rom for £175.Took about 3 weeks to come was in December though, dudn't get taxed and the phone is excellent. For a so called budget phone look at video reviews etc as it's always compared to the latest Samsung and iPhone flagships, it rates very closely to there performance for a much cheaper price.

Thanks, will look at geekbuying as I want one with global rom

yea some people will slate geek buying... some like them... bit like any of these venders.

I had a bit of a wait as I said about 3 weeks. I then ordered a Mi pad 2 on boxing day, it was dispatched on 27th Dec and arrived new year's Eve, only used the free delivery option and no customs again... 4 days to come... very good. But I won't expect that everytime lol

first off I'd recommend that you wait for the mi6 to come out before you buy anything as you may want the mi6 and if you don't then the older models will decrease in price so you win no matter what. as of which phone I'd recommend at this moment it has to be the mi5s for its much better camera (same sensor as google pixel), larger battery, faster/more efficient CPU and better build quality (the mi5 snaps when bent but the metal on the mi5s should mitigate this).

Op, wherever you buy from I'd just reflash it yourself anyway just to be safe, it's easy enough and only takes half an hour to do (and most of that is waiting whilst it flashes.

Also the Zuk Z2 is worth looking at for £140, very similar specs but more ram and storage than the cheaper Mi5.

SorJai

Aliexpress is their main store, so maybe buy from … Aliexpress is their main store, so maybe buy from there?https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/2178148?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.kbSqtq

No it isn't and that isn't an official Xiaomi store, it's an unrelated third party.
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Jan

mattmerch

good value weakest point seems to be their cameras

The camera on the mi5 is brilliant. (Exact same sensor as the one plus 3)

Original Poster

bozy09

first off I'd recommend that you wait for the mi6 to come out before you … first off I'd recommend that you wait for the mi6 to come out before you buy anything as you may want the mi6 and if you don't then the older models will decrease in price so you win no matter what. as of which phone I'd recommend at this moment it has to be the mi5s for its much better camera (same sensor as google pixel), larger battery, faster/more efficient CPU and better build quality (the mi5 snaps when bent but the metal on the mi5s should mitigate this).

​when is Mi6 expected release date?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Op, wherever you buy from I'd just reflash it yourself anyway just to be … Op, wherever you buy from I'd just reflash it yourself anyway just to be safe, it's easy enough and only takes half an hour to do (and most of that is waiting whilst it flashes.Also the Zuk Z2 is worth looking at for £140, very similar specs but more ram and storage than the cheaper Mi5.No it isn't and that isn't an official Xiaomi store, it's an unrelated third party.

​So it means their are guides available online on how to reflash?

kamania

​when is Mi6 expected release date?

​some are saying during February some say march but I can't be sure. it will definitely be released within the next 2.5 months

lidds

The camera on the mi5 is brilliant. (Exact same sensor as the one plus 3)

​id disagree with it being 'brilliant' it's just an average camera and when compared to images from top range flagships then the differences become apparent. the performance in bright light conditions is good although nothing to brag about, the low light photos are terrible though as there is a lot of noise. if the Google pixels camera is a 10 then the mi5 would score about a 6.5-7. the camera performance is essential for me which is why I'm considering the mi5s or the mi6 (mi6 is what I'll go for if it matches/outperforms the mi5s's camera)

Xiaomi release their new models so frequently you'll never buy anything if you keep waiting for the next one in a couple of months.

Gatey10

Xiaomi release their new models so frequently you'll never buy anything … Xiaomi release their new models so frequently you'll never buy anything if you keep waiting for the next one in a couple of months.

but the new snapdragon 835 processor will be a big improvement over last years processors. it will feature Bluetooth 5.0 and have 5g internet speeds. the smaller build makes it much more efficient so overall I think it will be worth waiting for the new phones.

may be better to wait a few more years as they will continually improve

I'm not saying you should wait forever its just that the improvement from this year's processors are significantly larger than normal so it'll be worth waiting for
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?3058
      2. Why do people scam on Gumtree?56
      3. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland66
      4. pringles movie codes22

See more discussions