Xiaomi Mi A1 best clear tempered glass? Best cover?

Found 22nd Mar
hi all!

my teen son and I both have this phone.

I got tempered glass for mine from the Chinese place I got the phone. it said it was for this phone... but it doesn't reach the edges of the phone's screen!! so is also chipping away at edges due to this too.

got son a tempered glass cover off eBay. yet it arrived and it's got white on the screen, changing the black areas of the front of the Mi A1 to white. yet it said it was a clear tempered glass cover! at least it goes to the edges of his screen... but the white looks tacky!

where can we get decent tempered glass screen protectors. that are clear and reach edges of the screen?

also phone covers!!

we using ones from Amazon just now that aren't the best.

we were used to Otterbox defender cases on our iPhones. or knock off versions of them. were always brilliant. can't find similar for this phone though.

we are both mega clumsy. and I now have arthritis in fingers and lose grip. so phones are dropped a lot.

what cases have folk found for this phone that are robust?

thanks!!
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Xda. Load app and it will search thread for your device only and look for accessories.. Or just search the forum
wayners22nd Mar

Xda. Load app and it will search thread for your device only and look for …Xda. Load app and it will search thread for your device only and look for accessories.. Or just search the forum

Sorry no idea what Xda is?

And which forum?
Xda forum. Here...xda is very good as will show your device and guide you to the forum section for your device if you use there app.. Think you need to register to search like with all forums
Edited by: "wayners" 23rd Mar
wayners23rd Mar

Xda forum. Here...xda is very good as will show your device and guide you …Xda forum. Here...xda is very good as will show your device and guide you to the forum section for your device if you use there app.. Think you need to register to search like with all forums

Didn't need to register. Which was a bonus. Alas nothing in there that answers my questions.

Just one thread talking of tempered glass protectors and they link to coloured ones. But only interested in clear ones.

Sons white coloured tempered glass was a nightmare to try match up with the bottom buttons on the phone, which of course, keep going back to black and don't stay lit up whilst trying to get the glass cover to line up with the buttons perfectly to actually apply the cover 🙈

Thank you though!
Edited by: "WeeWifie" 26th Mar
Have a look on eBay for Xiaomi MI A1 or Xiaomi 5X they are both the same size phones the only difference is the MI A1 runs stock Android and the 5X runs Xiaomi's MIUI.
WeeWifie1 h, 2 m ago

Didn't need to register. Which was a bonus. Alas nothing in there that …Didn't need to register. Which was a bonus. Alas nothing in there that answers my questions.Just one thread talking of tempered glass protectors and they link to coloured ones. But only interested in clear ones. Sons white coloured tempered glass was a nightmare to try match up with the bottom buttons on the phone, which of course, keep going back to black and don't stay lit up whilst trying to get the glass cover to line up with the buttons perfectly to actually apply the cover 🙈Thank you though!

Use masking tape to create a hinge along the side. Rip the sticky cover off the screen protector and drop in place. YouTube will show you how but its easy. Only problem is if you get a bits under but I just live with that. 3 out of 5 are perfect though
Edited by: "wayners" 26th Mar
Just looked on xda myself. It's the same screen as xiaomi mi5x. This will work if that's the case.. Xiaomi Mi5X / Mi A1 Flos® Tempered Full Glass Screen Protector +Transparent TPU Case For Xiaomi A1-Black amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J6N1TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WNpUAb1NN5A27
Edited by: "wayners" 26th Mar
wayners2 h, 16 m ago

Use masking tape to create a hinge along the side. Rip the sticky cover …Use masking tape to create a hinge along the side. Rip the sticky cover off the screen protector and drop in place. YouTube will show you how but its easy. Only problem is if you get a bits under but I just live with that. 3 out of 5 are perfect though

You use sticky tape to get any remaining dust bubbles click. I wouldn't personally bother using a screen protector if it was left in a 3/5 state. I can put on a screen protector on perfect every time.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th Mar
You don't need to head to the xda forum, if you ever need a case or screen protector for any chinese phone then buy it from Aliexpress. You can normally get double the quantity or cheaper/better value buying from there.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 26th Mar
RiverDragon826th Mar

You don't need to head to the xda forum, if you ever need a case or screen …You don't need to head to the xda forum, if you ever need a case or screen protector for any chinese phone then buy it from Aliexpress. You can normally get double the quantity or cheaper/better value buying from there.

This is where I got the tempered glass screen protector. Stated it was for this exact phone but it doesn't fit the entire screen! Hence this post... As can't go on and on buying ones that aren't as described or fit.
wayners26th Mar

Use masking tape to create a hinge along the side. Rip the sticky cover …Use masking tape to create a hinge along the side. Rip the sticky cover off the screen protector and drop in place. YouTube will show you how but its easy. Only problem is if you get a bits under but I just live with that. 3 out of 5 are perfect though

I'd never tolerate it not being on perfect! Would do my head in like this current useless screen protector is, coz of not reaching the true screen edges.

Just want a clear screen and not a coloured one. What's the point of coloured ones I dunno! Or why anyone would wanna buy one...
wayners26th Mar

Just looked on xda myself. It's the same screen as xiaomi mi5x. This will …Just looked on xda myself. It's the same screen as xiaomi mi5x. This will work if that's the case.. Xiaomi Mi5X / Mi A1 Flos® Tempered Full Glass Screen Protector +Transparent TPU Case For Xiaomi A1-Black amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J6N1TB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WNpUAb1NN5A27

This is a black one...

Sadly no use! As not clear.
WeeWifie3 h, 39 m ago

This is a black one...Sadly no use! As not clear.

It's black for a reason.. Same as the LG g5 as its curved so its black...plus its black on the phone already so looks no different when applied... Don't think curved glasses screen protectors come clear... Even if they did it would look black when applied
I should of added... They are struggling to make curved tempered glass
wayners11 h, 26 m ago

It's black for a reason.. Same as the LG g5 as its curved so its …It's black for a reason.. Same as the LG g5 as its curved so its black...plus its black on the phone already so looks no different when applied... Don't think curved glasses screen protectors come clear... Even if they did it would look black when applied

Except for many of them do look different when applied. The black borders are too wide and cut off parts of the display. I'm having a nightmare finding one that will fit my 5T, with a case on.
MSK.5 h, 8 m ago

Except for many of them do look different when applied. The black borders …Except for many of them do look different when applied. The black borders are too wide and cut off parts of the display. I'm having a nightmare finding one that will fit my 5T, with a case on.

Exactly !! There's the light up touch buttons down the bottom of the phone.

The problem is you can't get the damn covers on... The phone dulls the buttons down in seconds so you can't see them.

But the black parts of the glass cover have only tiny cut outs the exact same size as the back button etc. So it's a NIGHTMARE to line up.

Just redid my son's glass cover tonight with a new one, and alas... Again... Can't see the lit up bottoms correctly now, as the damn tempered glass protector is covering them.

What is the need for coloured ones?! I can't think of any.

If they just made clear ones... There'd be none of those issues and it wouldn't matter as you'd see original phone colour behind it.

For example. The Mi A1 comes in a rose gold too... But no rose gold tempered glass covers exist. So what are those owners meant to do yknow?? Buy rose gold then change phone to black or white? Which btw also looks cheap and tacky as heck.... And abnormal.

Why aren't they just making them clear so EVERYONE can use them no matter phone colour? And doesn't look cheap and tacky?! Just seems utter madness to me.

And tbh it is something that wouldve made me not purchase this phone If I knew prior of the utter insanity of there being NO full screen CLEAR tempered glass covers...

But on the Chinese sites they sell clear tempered glass covers. Say it's for this exact phone. And it doesn't fit properly
wayners16 h, 37 m ago

It's black for a reason.. Same as the LG g5 as its curved so its …It's black for a reason.. Same as the LG g5 as its curved so its black...plus its black on the phone already so looks no different when applied... Don't think curved glasses screen protectors come clear... Even if they did it would look black when applied

"Its curved so it's black" huh?!

That makes zero sense. As the one my son's got is curved and WHITE despite listing stating was for clear tempered glass.

The tempered glass cover he has is fine. Just coloured.

If the manufacturers just didn't apply the colour to the glass protectors ... It would be perfect!

Nothing to do with a curve.
WeeWifie6 h, 37 m ago

"Its curved so it's black" huh?! That makes zero sense. As the one my …"Its curved so it's black" huh?! That makes zero sense. As the one my son's got is curved and WHITE despite listing stating was for clear tempered glass.The tempered glass cover he has is fine. Just coloured. If the manufacturers just didn't apply the colour to the glass protectors ... It would be perfect! Nothing to do with a curve.

Creating a curved screen protector crates new challenges for manufacturers. They don't stick to well either. I listened to an interview on a podcast from Consumer Electronics Show (ces) And it was discussed. Along with other stuff.. Would love to go there myself
wayners2 h, 12 m ago

Creating a curved screen protector crates new challenges for …Creating a curved screen protector crates new challenges for manufacturers. They don't stick to well either. I listened to an interview on a podcast from Consumer Electronics Show (ces) And it was discussed. Along with other stuff.. Would love to go there myself

Would you mind sharing a link? I'd be interested to watch that too.
WeeWifie8 h, 56 m ago

Exactly !! There's the light up touch buttons down the bottom of the …Exactly !! There's the light up touch buttons down the bottom of the phone. The problem is you can't get the damn covers on... The phone dulls the buttons down in seconds so you can't see them. But the black parts of the glass cover have only tiny cut outs the exact same size as the back button etc. So it's a NIGHTMARE to line up. Just redid my son's glass cover tonight with a new one, and alas... Again... Can't see the lit up bottoms correctly now, as the damn tempered glass protector is covering them. What is the need for coloured ones?! I can't think of any. If they just made clear ones... There'd be none of those issues and it wouldn't matter as you'd see original phone colour behind it.For example. The Mi A1 comes in a rose gold too... But no rose gold tempered glass covers exist. So what are those owners meant to do yknow?? Buy rose gold then change phone to black or white? Which btw also looks cheap and tacky as heck.... And abnormal. Why aren't they just making them clear so EVERYONE can use them no matter phone colour? And doesn't look cheap and tacky?! Just seems utter madness to me. And tbh it is something that wouldve made me not purchase this phone If I knew prior of the utter insanity of there being NO full screen CLEAR tempered glass covers...But on the Chinese sites they sell clear tempered glass covers. Say it's for this exact phone. And it doesn't fit properly

I feel very fortunate this phone came with a plastic protector already applied. It will peel off, but it does but me time. All the reviews I've seen are either for protectors with black edges so wide they cut the clock in half, or clear ones you can't buy in the UK which are too small to cover the whole screen.

Whati really don't get is this screen doesn't appear to be curved. If it is it's minimal. Why do they do it, what's the point?

I hope you get something worked out. I haven't encountered other colours, just black and white. That sounds hellish.
MSK.2 h, 51 m ago

Would you mind sharing a link? I'd be interested to watch that too.

Can't remember which podcast it was.. All about android or android central? Maybe one of them...
wayners1 h, 49 m ago

Can't remember which podcast it was.. All about android or android …Can't remember which podcast it was.. All about android or android central? Maybe one of them...

Fair enough.
MSK.18 h, 37 m ago

I feel very fortunate this phone came with a plastic protector already …I feel very fortunate this phone came with a plastic protector already applied. It will peel off, but it does but me time. All the reviews I've seen are either for protectors with black edges so wide they cut the clock in half, or clear ones you can't buy in the UK which are too small to cover the whole screen.Whati really don't get is this screen doesn't appear to be curved. If it is it's minimal. Why do they do it, what's the point?I hope you get something worked out. I haven't encountered other colours, just black and white. That sounds hellish.

Plastic covers no use at all as doesn't protect anywhere near as well as a tempered glass does. Am I'm a dropper 😁

Didn't even know this screen had a curve it's that unnoticeable. And would not have got it if knew had a curve... Not with my dropping and phone break history! And especially with screens... hence the need for tempered glass and a very protective cover. Don't get the whole fascination with curved screens... Can't see a need for them.
WeeWifie6 h, 6 m ago

Plastic covers no use at all as doesn't protect anywhere near as well as a …Plastic covers no use at all as doesn't protect anywhere near as well as a tempered glass does. Am I'm a dropper 😁Didn't even know this screen had a curve it's that unnoticeable. And would not have got it if knew had a curve... Not with my dropping and phone break history! And especially with screens... hence the need for tempered glass and a very protective cover. Don't get the whole fascination with curved screens... Can't see a need for them.

I agree about the dropping. But it saves me from feeling paranoid about micro scratches in the meantime.

Slightly off topic, but my new case arrived yesterday, a Ringke Fusion one. Chuffed with it, it's really nice supposedly military tested drop protection. But better looking than a Spigen and not insanely bulk. Buttons are fantastic too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions