Xiaomi mi max versus Samsung note 3

Found 19th Mar
Looking to spend no more than £ 170 on Android phone . Either Xiaomi mi max or Samsung note 3 ( refurbished? ) thoughts please

16 Comments

This should be under an "Ask" thread, not a deal post.
Edited by: "imsomethingyournot" 19th Mar

depends on what you're wanting, I've had both and I'd stick with samsung's, purely because of the super​a amoled screen and the not-as-bad build quality

Consider a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro SE - only slightly smaller than a Galaxy Note 3 (5.5" screen), Snapdragon processor, band 20 and good range of custom ROMs for around £125. If you're set on the big screen I would go for the Mi Max. FWIW I sold my Samsung Note 3 and replaced it with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro SE and it's much better in every respect except the camera which is a bit meh.
Edited by: "dwl99" 19th Mar

Moved from a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 to Mi Max with no regrets. Superb display on this fast responsive phone. Build quality is excellent.

I would go mi max. Note 3 is a good phone but getting on a bit. I bought a HTC one x refurbished that died in 6 months. Came with the wifi hardware fault which I put up with. Bought a new s3 after that and still going. I then bought a refurbished lg g4 that got the bootloop fault and lg would not repair because it was a refurbished phone. That's it! No second hand phones for me, as what's the point in buying a unknown device that may have been dropped or sat on, when top phones like the mi max can bought new for sensible money.

For 170 you can get the Note 4 from the likes of ebay.

Get that instead of some no name brand junk

benjammin316

For 170 you can get the Note 4 from the likes of ebay. Get that instead … For 170 you can get the Note 4 from the likes of ebay. Get that instead of some no name brand junk

​Yes for that money get a note 4 instead of the 3 the 4 was the real deal out of all the note serious. but no idea about the other brands.

benjammin316

For 170 you can get the Note 4 from the likes of ebay. Get that instead … For 170 you can get the Note 4 from the likes of ebay. Get that instead of some no name brand junk

No name, RFOL. Xiaomi are one of the worlds biggest selling phone brands; just because they dont officially sell in Europe doesnt make them a "No Name".

The Xiaomi Note3 SE is based on the newer Note 3 Pro Prime chip set and so is hardly "old"; it runs rings around my wifes Samsung Note 4, and is a lot more stable.

My only gripe with it is the auto screen brightness control - it never allows the screen to be bright enough in strong sunlight, and keeps turning itself back on after I have switched it to "manual".

One word of caution; the Note3 currently comes in 3 colours, Gold, White, and Grey; the grey is actually a dark silver, and the gold is a "Rose Gold", so slightly pinkish.

The gold is currently the cheapest to buy, by about £15; which is strange, as replacement back cases are only £1.

Gentle_Giant

The Xiaomi Note3 SE is based on the newer Note 3 Pro Prime chip set and … The Xiaomi Note3 SE is based on the newer Note 3 Pro Prime chip set and so is hardly "old"; it runs rings around my wifes Samsung Note 4, and is a lot more stable.My only gripe with it is the auto screen brightness control - it never allows the screen to be bright enough in strong sunlight, and keeps turning itself back on after I have switched it to "manual".

Use Lux to control your backlight instead
Edited by: "dwl99" 19th Mar

dwl99

Use Lux to control your backlight instead

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Gentle_Giant

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Are you still running stock MIUI?

dwl99

Are you still running stock MIUI?

Yes, the phone is only a few days old - after my last Note 3SE was accidentally crushed two weeks ago (dont ask).

Gentle_Giant

Yes, the phone is only a few days old - after my last Note 3SE was … Yes, the phone is only a few days old - after my last Note 3SE was accidentally crushed two weeks ago (dont ask).

I would recommend flashing it with Cyanogenmod 13 forum.xda-developers.com/red…371

Thanks, I will take a gander.
I had a look with the last one (a Christmas present to myself), but at the time, the CM wasnt bug free enough to risk on my main phone.

TBH, I quite like the MIUI; I had a few issues with v5 and V7 on my older Note, but the latest version works well (IMHO); my only real issue is the irremoveable Google crud that duplicates the function of (but is worse than) the built-in MIUI apps.

Gentle_Giant

Thanks, I will take a gander. I had a look with the last one (a Christmas … Thanks, I will take a gander. I had a look with the last one (a Christmas present to myself), but at the time, the CM wasnt bug free enough to risk on my main phone.TBH, I quite like the MIUI; I had a few issues with v5 and V7 on my older Note, but the latest version works well (IMHO); my only real issue is the irremoveable Google crud that duplicates the function of (but is worse than) the built-in MIUI apps.

The latest CM is completely stable, everything works and xposed runs very well on it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best/cheapest music service55
    2. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?812
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?38
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…33

See more discussions