Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 replaced by Mi 10 under warranty - Not official global version?

Posted 30th JunEdited by:"HungryCaterpillar"
Hi.

Will try to cut it short and sweet.

- Bought a new Mi Mix 3 for partner. Laptops Direct.
- Birthday gift, longer than a month after purchase, no missed the no hassle return window.
- Faulty, so send it to be fixed by xiaomi under warranty
- They couldn't source parts to fix it, so send a Mi 10 instead.

Q. How can I tell if this is new? Does it have to be if a warranty replacement?
Q. They didnt ask did I weant this, just sent it. Is this normal?
Q. Checked the IMEI on the Mi product authentication site and got this message below. What are the implications of this? Secuity issues with this?

"Thank you for choosing Xiaomi!
However, the device you purchased is not an official global version and user
experience may be affected. Next time, please purchase the official
global version of the device through officially authorized channels."

Last Q. What would you do next?

I have messaged the warranty team my concerns, but I was hoping for some insight / advice for when they answer.

Thank you.
Community Updates
4 Comments
They should have asked you before sending you a different phone really. It's odd that it's not an official version, maybe it is a refurbished device returned by a customer (perhaps they did a switch, buying UK version and returning an international one).
jamie1530/06/2020 18:18

They should have asked you before sending you a different phone really. …They should have asked you before sending you a different phone really. It's odd that it's not an official version, maybe it is a refurbished device returned by a customer (perhaps they did a switch, buying UK version and returning an international one).

Yeah I felt like it might be something like that, just trying to shift other phones they have there reather than offering a refund. Which i will probbaly drive towards when they reply.
HungryCaterpillar30/06/2020 21:02

Yeah I felt like it might be something like that, just trying to shift …Yeah I felt like it might be something like that, just trying to shift other phones they have there reather than offering a refund. Which i will probbaly drive towards when they reply.

Your manufacturer warranty service request allowed for "replace the Product with a new or refurbished product" with no obligation for like-for-like replacement unless civil legislation permits, although it would be reasonable to suggest detriment compensation if a replacement was an indisputable inferior product.

Does the original trader still stock the same device? If so, you could consider rejecting the replacement and request return of your specific busted device (good luck) and present that busted device to original trader for legal guarantee servicing IAW Consumer Rights Act 2015, which between 1-6months from the time the busted device came into your possession would require the trader to repair or replace at trader's choice, with option for trader to offer full/part refund if you agree.

Be prepared to consider the hassle of attempted rights enforcement if manufacturer or trader is stubborn / ignorant / dismissive, which may otherwise require you to be more flexible than you would prefer.
Ok so i finally booted it up to see. It seems to have the global MIUI software. And if it's not new, it's pretty close to it.

The receipt showed that the phone along with 'screensing' had recieved a 'software update'. This could suggest a chinese phone being reformatted with the global software? Perhapos that explains why the number on that website thought it wasnt global.

It is almost the same UI as my oneplus6, seems to have all play store and google apps installed from the initial bootup.

If it's safe to buy stuff through it while using the usual safety precautions of buying online, then maybe this was just a shock, but not a bad one. The Mi 10 is over double the price of the Mi Mix3 and outshines it in almost all specs.

Havent actually tried it with a sim car yet.

Still no answer from Xiaomi, so we shall see.
Post a comment
@
    Text