Xiaomi phones + SMS + Smilies

Found 29th Mar
I have a Xiaomi 4X and when I do a sms message and add a smiley it uses loads of texts?

if I fill up a full text so it is on 0 then put 1 more character it shows (1) 145 so 1 text used and 145 characters left on second text. If I put a smiley when it is 0 it shows (3) 39 so it's using 4 texts total?

Yet when I use a smiley in the first text it only uses 2 characters! The phones use Swiftkey keyboard, that's where I'm getting the smilies from.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
I use swiftkey keyboard which comes with xiaomi phones pe installed but you need to select it as your default keyboard.. I was using swiftkey prior as best keyboard around imo.. Anyway.. You will see the smiley at the bottom left of keyboard.. I tap that and loads of smile options appear to select. Tap the one you want... I think you are doing something different?
Edited by: "wayners" 29th Mar
Smiley is part of keyboard by looks of it... What keyboard you using.
Android at its best. The issue here is not the keyboard I don’t think it’s the character limit for texts and your text app setup. Can you access the settings for the sms and have a look for how it deals with long texts.

i think settings, text message, input mode. Then select auto not Unicode. That done it for me back in the day
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 29th Mar
Dannyrobbo8 h, 50 m ago

Android at its best. The issue here is not the keyboard I don’t think i …Android at its best. The issue here is not the keyboard I don’t think it’s the character limit for texts and your text app setup. Can you access the settings for the sms and have a look for how it deals with long texts.i think settings, text message, input mode. Then select auto not Unicode. That done it for me back in the day

The text character limit is set by the carrier, not android

OP, you need to disable mms
Edited by: "chocci" 30th Mar
chocci2 h, 25 m ago

The text character limit is set by the carrier, not androidOP, you need to …The text character limit is set by the carrier, not androidOP, you need to disable mms

No it’s not sending via mms because if it did it would be in one message. The text character limit is the standards for sms, how the operating system handles it is the issue, it’s splitting the text up and this is a really outdated way of doing it. Newer devices, sms software implementations and iPhones still operate to the same limits but they recognise that it is one message and the is displays it as such.
Dannyrobbo2 h, 26 m ago

No it’s not sending via mms because if it did it would be in one message. …No it’s not sending via mms because if it did it would be in one message. The text character limit is the standards for sms, how the operating system handles it is the issue, it’s splitting the text up and this is a really outdated way of doing it. Newer devices, sms software implementations and iPhones still operate to the same limits but they recognise that it is one message and the is displays it as such.

But OP is getting 4 texts sent, not 2. This is how some phones record an mms (Samsung for example)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions