Xiaomi Redmi Note 4/ 4X Q and A & Comments Page

Found 31st Jul 2017
Alot of deals on these phones and alot of questions get asked. I was unsure about them and had alot of questions myself. The same questions keep cropping up so I thought it a good idea to have a page for them. I now have a Redmi Note 4 4GB 64Gb and I paid about £140 from Aliexpress - took 2/3 weeks to arrive and I am pleased with it so far... leave any comments/ questions about these phones you may have ... aswell as owners comments on their pro's and con's
Community Updates
MiscXiaomiNote 4
54 Comments
Original Poster
Big plus for me - when creating hotspot it offers 2.4ghz or 5 as options and it does not connect with a strict nat type when gaming ps4 which means I can find multiplayer games more easily. Previous phones - Sony/ Iphone did not offer this...
Yep got the Redmi Note 4 4GB 64Gb as well , paid £133 and it came in ten days

Tips

Update to Nougat here bigota.d.miui.com/7.7…zip thanks to dcx_badass.... no root required and is a 5 min job , Open the update app, select update from zip and select the above file, it'll reboot and install Nougat, it will wipe your phone though.

Yep dual sim ( or sim and SD card)

EE shows as T-Mobile on status bar for some reason , either switch off it showing or can be edited....

No UK shown in region list I chose Hong Kong but it works fine as it takes time date etc from your carrier

Nova Launcher works great ......... if you dont like the standard system..
Edited by: "mfactor" 31st Jul 2017
Original Poster
.. a big downside for me is the lack of mhl support - I did not know this is something only some brands offer and so was very disappointed when the cable I had used with my sony z3 became obsolete and I lost this much loved interface
JumpMan1980

.. a big downside for me is the lack of mhl support - I did not know this … .. a big downside for me is the lack of mhl support - I did not know this is something only some brands offer and so was very disappointed when the cable I had used with my sony z3 became obsolete and I lost this much loved interface

Has built in cast function tho, handy if your TV supports this
How are you finding the video taking capabilities of the phone? I was quite tempted, but specs say it's half the framerate of my LG G2
MSK.

How are you finding the video taking capabilities of the phone? I was … How are you finding the video taking capabilities of the phone? I was quite tempted, but specs say it's half the framerate of my LG G2

Cant really help with that as dont use the vid or photo option much, so not that important to me but I did look at different camera apps and ended up on youtube where a guy reckoned you only had to tweak the settings , so followed his advice ......but not sure if better or not pics look fine to my uneducated eye tho.....
All I wanna know is where I can get a black/Grey one that has a Snapdragon 625 and 64gb/4gb
mfactor

Cant really help with that as dont use the vid or photo option much, so … Cant really help with that as dont use the vid or photo option much, so not that important to me but I did look at different camera apps and ended up on youtube where a guy reckoned you only had to tweak the settings , so followed his advice ......but not sure if better or not pics look fine to my uneducated eye tho.....

That's interesting that the choice of camera app might be able to make a difference. Gives me something to read up on, thanks
I got the redmi note 4x on the deal 4gig\64gig for £133 i paid £7 extra for the aliexpress warranty in hopes its not useless.

My region is set for France, tbh I've not stuck a sim in it yet I've been playing on the internet I'm going to get it reflashed with custom firmware this week so I did not see the point in getting it all set up until then.

It lasts over six hours online watching youtube videos and playing games, tbh i got fed up after six hours and the battery still read as half full.

The camera is good, the video capture is good for a phone obviously if you want something for anything more then frivolity buy a real dedicated camera, i find i really miss optical zooms with these things, 5x plus optical zooms are very useful and you miss them when your used to them (I've got a 2007 Panasonic TZ3 with a 20x one).

The screen is lovely the sound is great.

The redmi comes in two types the Chinese and global the global is often called x so 4x and global are the same thing, you can't buy cases and screen protectors for the one and expect them to fit the other as there are differences in the case design. For the UK you need the global\x version.

Final note mine came with added extras as Chinese things normally do, a jelly case thats fine and a screen protector which isn't great and a UK mains adapter plug or death adapter as they are known if you have one or get one throw it in the bin and buy a proper one.

Like this one ebay.co.uk/itm…891
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 31st Jul 2017
JumpMan1980

.. a big downside for me is the lack of mhl support - I did not know this … .. a big downside for me is the lack of mhl support - I did not know this is something only some brands offer and so was very disappointed when the cable I had used with my sony z3 became obsolete and I lost this much loved interface

Displaylink works but isn't that cheap. I've connected a displaylink dock to my phone and had dual monitors (mirrored) and keyboard/mouse over a single USB. Works well.

As mentioned miui 8 dev Nougat runs well, mine had UK as an option when I tried it in may.
I'm now running the xiaomi.eu miui 8 nougat rom, it's optimised better and has a lot of the Chinese bloat removed.

Miui9 beta is also out but I'm going to give it a month to stabilise before I flash it (xiaomi.eu version).

I've had my 4/64 version for over 2 months now and am very pleased with it, especially the battery. Only downside is the camera which isn't great and can struggle to focus in anything other than great lighting (indoors can struggle). Still I plan on keeping the phone for 2 years or so (I had my previous galaxy s3 for 5 years!) and I'll most likely go Xiaomi again after as I'm very satisfied.
Original Poster
mfactor

Yep got the Redmi Note 4 4GB 64Gb as well , paid £133 and it came in ten … Yep got the Redmi Note 4 4GB 64Gb as well , paid £133 and it came in ten daysTips :)Update to Nougat here http://bigota.d.miui.com/7.7.13/miui_HMNote4XGlobal_7.7.13_08853cf61f_7.0.zip thanks to dcx_badass.... no root required and is a 5 min job , Open the update app, select update from zip and select the above file, it'll reboot and install Nougat, it will wipe your phone though.Yep dual sim ( or sim and SD card)EE shows as T-Mobile on status bar for some reason , either switch off it showing or can be edited....No UK shown in region list I chose Hong Kong but it works fine as it takes time date etc from your carrier Nova Launcher works great ......... if you dont like the standard system..

BT showed as EE for me - edited to BT mobile (theyre both owned by BT though I know)

another little feature I like is displaying your download speeds on top of home screen
Original Poster
Error440

I got the redmi note 4x on the deal 4gig\64gig for £133 i paid £7 extra f … I got the redmi note 4x on the deal 4gig\64gig for £133 i paid £7 extra for the aliexpress warranty in hopes its not useless.My region is set for France, tbh I've not stuck a sim in it yet I've been playing on the internet I'm going to get it reflashed with custom firmware this week so I did not see the point in getting it all set up until then.It lasts over six hours online watching youtube videos and playing games, tbh i got fed up after six hours and the battery still read as half full.The camera is good, the video capture is good for a phone obviously if you want something for anything more then frivolity buy a real dedicated camera, i find i really miss optical zooms with these things, 5x plus optical zooms are very useful and you miss them when your used to them (I've got a 2007 Panasonic TZ3 with a 20x one).The screen is lovely the sound is great.The redmi comes in two types the Chinese and global the global is often called x so 4x and global are the same thing, you can't buy cases and screen protectors for the one and expect them to fit the other as there are differences in the case design. For the UK you need the global\x version.Final note mine came with added extras as Chinese things normally do, a jelly case thats fine and a screen protector which isn't great and a UK mains adapter plug or death adapter as they are known if you have one or get one throw it in the bin and buy a proper one.Like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322083539891

Are you sure it is an X - I thought mine was the X but on checking it is simply the global version 4 4gb 64gb - i am aware of the case protector issues you are referring to and needing to order X products to accomodate the global 4 version - I thought the X meant it was superior to the 4 but I do not now think that is the case
JumpMan1980

Are you sure it is an X - I thought mine was the X but on checking it is … Are you sure it is an X - I thought mine was the X but on checking it is simply the global version 4 4gb 64gb - i am aware of the case protector issues you are referring to and needing to order X products to accomodate the global 4 version - I thought the X meant it was superior to the 4 but I do not now think that is the case

The box for the phone will say global but extra bits and bobs from china and the sellers will often call it a x instead.
It has 10 holes at the base instead of 12 on the Chinese one for example and a extra hole on the front or one less I can't remember, point is if your buying cases or screen protectors its the 4X in the discription a lot of the time or sometimes they will say global.

There are electronic differences, mediatek CPU, metal case etc but i was just writing for people who've got one so they know what cases and things to buy. Same as about the dodgy mains adapter i bet everyone who ordered on the recent deal got one of them cheap white 3 prong adapters, throw them in the bin don't use them
This fits great ebay.co.uk/itm…649

A lot cheaper on Ali express but could not wait ...........

Matched with this aliexpress.com/ite…onA and my gold phone is now a black phone

Note: the above case is just the back cover not the 2 piece as shown in one pic, nice tho.
mfactor

This fits great … This fits great http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Global-Version/152601063189?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I've ordered similar from china for £1.95 let me look for a link..

Ding!

aliexpress.com/ite…tml

And this, blingin!
aliexpress.com/ite…tml
Original Poster
mfactor

This fits great … This fits great http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4X-Global-Version/152601063189?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649A lot cheaper on Ali express but could not wait ...........Matched with this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-case-100-Original-Ipaky-brand-Luxury-PC-Frame-Neo-Hybrid-back/32736194940.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.oEEonA and my gold phone is now a black phone :)Note: the above case is just the back cover not the 2 piece as shown in one pic, nice tho.

That's the screen protector I bought - I had to get refund - it would not stick!? Once it had completely given up and fallen off I found only the black area to have adhesive and thought this must be why it was no good!?
Original Poster
Error440

The box for the phone will say global but extra bits and bobs from china … The box for the phone will say global but extra bits and bobs from china and the sellers will often call it a x instead.It has 10 holes at the base instead of 12 on the Chinese one for example and a extra hole on the front or one less I can't remember, point is if your buying cases or screen protectors its the 4X in the discription a lot of the time or sometimes they will say global.There are electronic differences, mediatek CPU, metal case etc but i was just writing for people who've got one so they know what cases and things to buy. Same as about the dodgy mains adapter i bet everyone who ordered on the recent deal got one of them cheap white 3 prong adapters, throw them in the bin don't use them

No, I was commenting on you saying you had an X... is yours an X or simply 4?
JumpMan1980

That's the screen protector I bought - I had to get refund - it would not … That's the screen protector I bought - I had to get refund - it would not stick!? Once it had completely given up and fallen off I found only the black area to have adhesive and thought this must be why it was no good!?

Strange, mine fitted fantastically , easiest to fit I ever had, stuck all over.....??
Original Poster
mfactor

Strange, mine fitted fantastically , easiest to fit I ever had, stuck all … Strange, mine fitted fantastically , easiest to fit I ever had, stuck all over.....??

That is strange, they were good though (hytech) they sent replacement and refunded - I have not opened the replacement but will now that you've said that.. thank you!
Error440

The box for the phone will say global but extra bits and bobs from china … The box for the phone will say global but extra bits and bobs from china and the sellers will often call it a x instead.It has 10 holes at the base instead of 11 on the Chinese one for example and a extra hole on the front or one less I can't remember, point is if your buying cases or screen protectors its the 4X in the discription a lot of the time or sometimes they will say global.

For phone listings, sellers will not call it the Note 4X instead. If the listing is titled "Redmi Note 4X" it is the non B20 China counterpart to Redmi Note 4 Global Version. This is the case for AliExpress sellers, Banggood, Gearbest, Geekbuying etc. The Redmi Note 4X might be the same in terms of hardware, but being a China market version, it will be unboxed and have had Global ROM installed by the seller and no B20. Redmi Note 4 Global Version on the other hand will be sealed with Global ROM pre-installed and have B20.

The naming and the point about cases is because of the original Redmi Note 4 Mediatek. When the Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon was released, it was called Note 4X in regions that had the original Mediatek model but was released as just Redmi Note 4, in other regions. The Snapdragon has a newer housing, which is why a Snapdragon Redmi Note 4 like Global Version would share the same housing as Note 4X and case listing might say both Note 4/4X but in terms the phone listings themselves, sellers will not title it Redmi Note 4X if it's the B20 Redmi Note 4 Global Version.
Original Poster
mfactor

Yep got the Redmi Note 4 4GB 64Gb as well , paid £133 and it came in ten … Yep got the Redmi Note 4 4GB 64Gb as well , paid £133 and it came in ten daysTips :)Update to Nougat here http://bigota.d.miui.com/7.7.13/miui_HMNote4XGlobal_7.7.13_08853cf61f_7.0.zip thanks to dcx_badass.... no root required and is a 5 min job , Open the update app, select update from zip and select the above file, it'll reboot and install Nougat, it will wipe your phone though.Yep dual sim ( or sim and SD card)EE shows as T-Mobile on status bar for some reason , either switch off it showing or can be edited....No UK shown in region list I chose Hong Kong but it works fine as it takes time date etc from your carrier Nova Launcher works great ......... if you dont like the standard system..

I think I will give this a go - to side track - can I do this with other devices such as a hudl 2 - Tesco stopped supporting this and so it conflicts with some updated apps now
Original Poster
dreadzone101

For phone listings, sellers will not call it the Note 4X instead. If the … For phone listings, sellers will not call it the Note 4X instead. If the listing is titled "Redmi Note 4X" it is the non B20 China counterpart to Redmi Note 4 Global Version. This is the case for AliExpress sellers, Banggood, Gearbest, Geekbuying etc. The Redmi Note 4X might be the same in terms of hardware, but being a China market version, it will be unboxed and have had Global ROM installed by the seller and no B20. Redmi Note 4 Global Version on the other hand will be sealed with Global ROM pre-installed and have B20.The naming and the point about cases is because of the original Redmi Note 4 Mediatek. When the Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon was released, it was called Note 4X in regions that had the original Mediatek model but was released as just Redmi Note 4, in other regions. The Snapdragon has a newer housing, which is why a Snapdragon Redmi Note 4 like Global Version would share the same housing as Note 4X and case listing might say both Note 4/4X but in terms the phone listings themselves, sellers will not title it Redmi Note 4X if it's the B20 Redmi Note 4 Global Version.

This fits my experience - mine was sealed box, with global sticker and in settings it says it is a redmi 4
JumpMan1980

No, I was commenting on you saying you had an X... is yours an X or … No, I was commenting on you saying you had an X... is yours an X or simply 4?

Mines a global or x as they seem to like calling it both
JumpMan1980

That's the screen protector I bought - I had to get refund - it would not … That's the screen protector I bought - I had to get refund - it would not stick!? Once it had completely given up and fallen off I found only the black area to have adhesive and thought this must be why it was no good!?

Hmm well I'll see when it turns up
Use Algeria for region - same as UK time.

No UK shown in region list I chose Hong Kong but it works fine as it takes time date etc from your carrier
Original Poster
Error440

Hmm well I'll see when it turns up

Have since stuck the new replacement on - so far so good but other came unstuck around day 2/3 so will wait n see
JumpMan1980

Have since stuck the new replacement on - so far so good but other came … Have since stuck the new replacement on - so far so good but other came unstuck around day 2/3 so will wait n see

Did you clean the screen with alcohol. The one i ordered gets predominantly good reviews, will see if yours was just a dud, its dirt cheap anyway
I bought a black 3GB/32GB Global version for ~£110, and got a customs fee on arrival of £10ish.

It's an excellent phone, though it is picky with micro sd cards (and some googling shows others have experienced the same).

If I put in a 128GB Toshiba card things start to get weird. The fingerprint reader takes about 3-4 seconds to unlock the phone and the headphone jack no longer registers a headphone has been plugged in so sound continues to come out of the speakers. If I take the Toshiba card out, everything works perfectly, plug it back in, back to weird things happening. I've tried the card in other devices and had no issues.

If I put a 64GB Sandisk card in the phone, everything continues to work fine.

Apart from this one hiccup, it's a blinding phone for the money.
Original Poster
Error44031st Jul

Did you clean the screen with alcohol. The one i ordered gets …Did you clean the screen with alcohol. The one i ordered gets predominantly good reviews, will see if yours was just a dud, its dirt cheap anyway

24 hours in and this one is looking all good. Original must have been a duff.
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 2nd Aug 2017
Really liking mine
Natwest banking app tip :

If anyone's struggling with getting Natwest banking app to work you can use the business app instead and it works fine, only other option would be to download a previous version of normal app but don't update it as the current version doesn't support redmi phones for some reason.
Here's a small game, there's something in this image that it is highly unlikely that anyone else will see/have seen on their Note 4, if someone figures it out I'll do a reveal, of not I'll post another clue at about 12.

Hint: its not the Pebble icon next to the clock.

31615399-VIzlf.jpg
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 4th Aug 2017
Original Poster
dcx_badass23 m ago

Here's a small game, there's something in this image that it is highly …Here's a small game, there's something in this image that it is highly unlikely that anyone else will see/have seen on their Note 4, if someone figures it out I'll do a reveal, of not I'll post another clue at about 12. Hint: its not the Pebble icon next to the clock. [Image]

Xiaomi?
dcx_badass4 h, 17 m ago

Here's a small game, there's something in this image that it is highly …Here's a small game, there's something in this image that it is highly unlikely that anyone else will see/have seen on their Note 4, if someone figures it out I'll do a reveal, of not I'll post another clue at about 12. Hint: its not the Pebble icon next to the clock. [Image]

87%
Neither of which are almost unique to my phone. Here's the second clue. 31617455-c77D5.jpg
It's not the network name or dual sim element, compare to yours and check the status bar in both my pics.
Lte+?
ukwomble2 m ago

Lte+?

Yup, that's it. Flashed a custom modem to unlock LTE+ / Carrier Aggregation so the phone can use two LTE bands at the same time.

en.miui.com/for…389
Think I switched lte on when first getting phone but it seemed to throw data connection off if I remember, not looked at it since
dcx_badass3 h, 24 m ago

Yup, that's it. Flashed a custom modem to unlock LTE+ / Carrier …Yup, that's it. Flashed a custom modem to unlock LTE+ / Carrier Aggregation so the phone can use two LTE bands at the same time. http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=692389

Mine doesn't have the % next to the battery, but then it aint been flashed yet
Error4401 h, 56 m ago

Mine doesn't have the % next to the battery, but then it aint been flashed …Mine doesn't have the % next to the battery, but then it aint been flashed yet

That's just a normal option in settings on most phones...
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 4th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants