Groups

Xiaomi Redmi rom phone question

I have been looking at buying a phone for my son but dont want to have to flash it, can anyone tell me which would be the best option out of the 2 below, I dont undertand the Official Global version and the Original Xiaomi version?

Thanks

aliexpress.com/sto…ZbY

aliexpress.com/ite…aAU

12 Comments

"Global Version" in the title of the first link is referring to 4G B20 support and doesn't mean the ROM. The 2 phones in those links appear to both have global ROM flashed which includes Google Play store although I would still recommend flashing it yourself incase the seller has installed some crapware.

The first one having 4G Band 20 support means if you're on a network that uses B20/800mhz for 4G, this would be the one to get. But even if you're on a network that doesn't use B20 for 4G, or if your son won't be using mobile data, it would still be the better choice of the 2. The first link is the Redmi 3S which is a newer model that was released a few months after the Redmi 3 Pro in the 2nd link. Comparison of the two.

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, do you know why the 1st links cpu is Snapdragon 430 Octa Core but the 2nd link is a Snapdragon 616 Octa Core if the 1st is newer?

Thanks again

1spoon1

Thanks for the reply, do you know why the 1st links cpu is Snapdragon 430 … Thanks for the reply, do you know why the 1st links cpu is Snapdragon 430 Octa Core but the 2nd link is a Snapdragon 616 Octa Core if the 1st is newer?Thanks again

Not sure of the specifics but higher number doesn't neccesarily mean newer/better. Although the clock speed is slightly lower for the 430, it has a better GPU and in general performs better judging by this video. The newer 3S also is android marshmallow, whereas the 3 Pro is lollipop. I assume Xiaomi opted for 430 rather than keeping 616, possibly due to cost or perhaps being more battery efficient.

Original Poster

Thanks for the info I'll order the one in the 1st link and go from there

1spoon1

Thanks for the info I'll order the one in the 1st link and go from there:)

If you're not looking to get it asap, you could wait a while for the rumoured/expected Redmi 4. Xiaomi release new models very frequently. Redmi 4 might be more worth buying and it would prob decrease the 3S prices slightly, if you still end up going for it.

Trouble with the 4 would be, not such a bargain especially soon after release, and the Xiaomi eu rom /unlock bootloader will likely not be available immediately.
    I'd go for 3s

Redmi 3 came in January last year and I think I couldn't find a global seller until Feb / March. The global rom came 2 months later fyi.

The 3s and 3 Pro / prime are different phones. Have a look here

m.gsmarena.com/com…007

The 616 processor is last year's mid range processor. The 430 is this year's low end chipset. I would imagine there won't be too much difference between them.in fact, I think I remember watching a YouTube showing they're comparable.

Either will be a capable handset. If one has more 4g support over the other I'd be tempted to get that.

On the note of roms I agree it's a pain. But there is too much possibility for something bad to be installed on the phone if the seller has done it.

With all the personal information and things we have on our phones I would not recommend using one without flashing yourself.

Hope this helps.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help can I ask one more favour? I ordered the 1st phone so can anyone link me to the correct rom to flash my phone with, I'm not very techy!

Thanks again

1spoon1

Thanks for the help can I ask one more favour? I ordered the 1st phone so … Thanks for the help can I ask one more favour? I ordered the 1st phone so can anyone link me to the correct rom to flash my phone with, I'm not very techy!Thanks again

Official Xiaomi 3S Global ROM

Original Poster

Tyvm I gather this will wipe all thats on the phone and install this fresh version?

Edited by: "1spoon1" 31st Oct 2016

1spoon1

Tyvm I gather this will wipe all thats on the phone and install this … Tyvm I gather this will wipe all thats on the phone and install this fresh version?

​Yep will clear everything so don't bother logging etc before hand.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help lads
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions