Xiaomi, Smartthings, Aqara & Yeelight. How do I link them together?

Found 17th Mar
Hey all

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this. Massive thanks if you are able to make a positive contribution after reading this and I'll try to keep the post as simple but detailed as I can.

So, I have the following "home automation" things (all latest versions):

1. Samsung Smartthings hub
2. Samsung Smartthings Plug
3. Samsung Smartthings Presence Sensor
4. Samsung Smartthings Multi Purpose Sensor
5. Samsung Smartthings Motion Sensor
6. RGB Yeelights
7. Aqara Window/Door Sensors
8. Aqara PIR Motion Sensors
9. Aqara Temperature & Humidity Sensor
10. Aqara Wireless Switch
11. TP-Link Plugs
12. Amazon Echo 1st gen
13. Amazon Echo 2nd gen
14. Amazon Echo dot
15. Google Home mini
16. Hive

What I've been able to do so far are things like:

1. If a Samsung Sensor is activated (eg motion detector), activate any other Samsung device (eg, Samsung plug)
2. If Aqara device is activated (eg window/door sensor), activate a Yeelight
3. Set time conditions to devices (eg yeelight, TP link plugs) via their own app.

Where I'm struggling to even get started, is to link them all together. For example, how can I get a Yeelight to switch on when the Samsung Smartthings Motion Sensor detects movement? I think once I get the first bit done, the rest will fall in to place but I'm just really struggling to get started in the first place.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
You can't add yeelights directly into SmartThings can you?
The link the non compatible devices you'll have to link them with something like Ifttt or Stringify.
I have several Xiaomi sensors as well as the gateway but decided not to go down the Samsung Smartthings route - may instead go down the Raspberry Pi HA as I want to connect my Xiaomi devices with my Sonoff switches.

From what I understand with Smartthings you need to import relevent Device Handlers to your Hub for each Xiaomi sensor to be able to pair them to the hub - this video should give you a start -

I don't think there is an IFTTT Service for Xiaomi sensors (yet) - but there is for Yeelights.
Van197325 m ago

I have several Xiaomi sensors as well as the gateway but decided not to go …I have several Xiaomi sensors as well as the gateway but decided not to go down the Samsung Smartthings route - may instead go down the Raspberry Pi HA as I want to connect my Xiaomi devices with my Sonoff switches.From what I understand with Smartthings you need to import relevent Device Handlers to your Hub for each Xiaomi sensor to be able to pair them to the hub - this video should give you a start - [Video] I don't think there is an IFTTT Service for Xiaomi sensors (yet) - but there is for Yeelights.

You do know Xiaomi & Sonoffs work directly with SmartThings!
I have about 15 Xiaomi door & motion sensors android about 6 various Sonoffs.
Altogether I've had to install 4 device handlers and 1 smartapp.
Takes about 2 mins to copy and paste the code and save & publish
stefromuk12 m ago

You do know Xiaomi & Sonoffs work directly with SmartThings!I have about …You do know Xiaomi & Sonoffs work directly with SmartThings!I have about 15 Xiaomi door & motion sensors android about 6 various Sonoffs.Altogether I've had to install 4 device handlers and 1 smartapp.Takes about 2 mins to copy and paste the code and save & publish

Thanks. I have done a fair bit of research on the way to go forward and at the moment leaning towards the Pi HA route as I have read various comments from people who have tried both and ended up with the Pi.

I understand Smartthings have had several recent outages of their servers (??) - has this caused you any problems? I have over 25 Sonoff devices so have experienced their server outages over Christmas and the Chinese New Year so thinking of moving to a non cloud server based option. Itead have promised their own LAN control option in the near future and that is the only thing stopping me jumping now!
Van197338 m ago

Thanks. I have done a fair bit of research on the way to go forward and …Thanks. I have done a fair bit of research on the way to go forward and at the moment leaning towards the Pi HA route as I have read various comments from people who have tried both and ended up with the Pi. I understand Smartthings have had several recent outages of their servers (??) - has this caused you any problems? I have over 25 Sonoff devices so have experienced their server outages over Christmas and the Chinese New Year so thinking of moving to a non cloud server based option. Itead have promised their own LAN control option in the near future and that is the only thing stopping me jumping now!

Yeah I know what you mean.
SmartThings isn't perfect but I think it's the easiest plug and play option out there.
The outages that SmartThings normally has usually happen in the middle of the night for the UK so it didn't affect me a great deal.
I have looked at using the raspberry pi but just haven't got the time just yet but I may so.
There's also the be "Hubitat" hub from the US and it's getting good reviews as it runs locally and uses groovy the same SmartThings.
What setup or hub are you using now?
Edited by: "stefromuk" 18th Mar
stefromuk13 m ago

Yeah I know what you mean.SmartThings isn't perfect but I think it's the …Yeah I know what you mean.SmartThings isn't perfect but I think it's the easiest plug and play option out there.The outages that SmartThings normally has usually happen in the middle of the night for the UK so it didn't affect me a great deal.I have looked at using the raspberry pi but just haven't got the time just yet but I may so.There's also the be "Hubitat" hub from the US and it's getting good reviews as it runs locally and uses groovy the same SmartThings.What setup or hub are you using now?

Just using the standard Ewelink app for the Sonoffs with various additional IFTTT applets. I have most of my switches set to work with timers or Scenes so the server outages did not bother me too much. I did have two of the Sonoff Basic switches in the loft (so not easily accessible) which I have just replaced with the RF versions so that I can control by a RF remote should the Server outages repeat. I also have the Sonoff RF bridge, PIR sensors and door contacts but not yet employing these in any useful way yet! Also have various Amazon Echo/Dot's and a Broadlink Pro.

My Xiaomi adventure has just started - bought the gateway, PIR sensors, temperature/humidity sensor and smart switch when they were deals on here from Gearbest. Just need a mechanism to tie them all together - still hoping for IFTTT for the Xiaomi sensors.

This 'project' has expanded from an original simple need into a hobby - now trying to limit my spending on different systems etc until I have a plan for a consistent way forward!
Van197346 m ago

Just using the standard Ewelink app for the Sonoffs with various …Just using the standard Ewelink app for the Sonoffs with various additional IFTTT applets. I have most of my switches set to work with timers or Scenes so the server outages did not bother me too much. I did have two of the Sonoff Basic switches in the loft (so not easily accessible) which I have just replaced with the RF versions so that I can control by a RF remote should the Server outages repeat. I also have the Sonoff RF bridge, PIR sensors and door contacts but not yet employing these in any useful way yet! Also have various Amazon Echo/Dot's and a Broadlink Pro.My Xiaomi adventure has just started - bought the gateway, PIR sensors, temperature/humidity sensor and smart switch when they were deals on here from Gearbest. Just need a mechanism to tie them all together - still hoping for IFTTT for the Xiaomi sensors.This 'project' has expanded from an original simple need into a hobby - now trying to limit my spending on different systems etc until I have a plan for a consistent way forward!

It all depends on your Xiaomi hub really does it support anything like IFTTT?
Thanks, much appreciated,especially the video link.
stefromuk3 h, 25 m ago

It all depends on your Xiaomi hub really does it support anything like …It all depends on your Xiaomi hub really does it support anything like IFTTT?

No support for IFTTT - hoping it will at some point in the future! Also no interface yet with Alexa - Xiaomi sensors are so good I can only imagine it is just a matter of time for both functionalities to be realised.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants