Xiaomi uk asking for met police report for phone not being delivered?

Posted 5th Mar
Ok, I've never come across this before. Phone not delivered & asking for ID, statement and said report. Before they can refund me.
I know chargeback is an option - but can anyone shed any light onto the quickest way of getting my money back. Is a police report for a non delivery of item even a thing? Any help appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
yozzman123405/03/2020 19:36

I dont think it's that simple to charge back a debit card transaction to a …I dont think it's that simple to charge back a debit card transaction to a registered company. I think they will want police report or proof it wasn't delivered . And especially if the transaction was over say 7 days ago ? Not an expert so dont really know . But seems too easy to just say do a charge back .

The police still wont take a crime or loss report from the OP. No crime has been committed, it has been lost in transit. The OP has never received the item so he hasn't lost it. The loser in this case is the seller, so it is they that need to file any report firstly to the parcel carrier or Royal Mail and if any crime is discovered, ie theft by Royal Mail staff then they are the ones that would file a crime report.
I note it was coming from France and is reportedly still in France, so if any offence occurred in France, then it is a French crime so needs to be reported by the seller to French police.
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 7th Mar
41 Comments
Item not received. This is not your problem to resolve. Just go back and advise of UK process . Again, google first page has all the answers. citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ed/
Unfortunately, they have a stock answer (via email, online chat and phone). I have advised them & I just get their stock answer "we will not process a refund until you provide this information"
I've just been looking into a Note 8 and have read that Xiaomi have had very recent trouble with the courier they were using and have had to recall some orders and investigate. From what I could tell Xiaomi are taking it seriously and have changed courier.
heavygoodz05/03/2020 13:17

Unfortunately, they have a stock answer (via email, online chat and …Unfortunately, they have a stock answer (via email, online chat and phone). I have advised them & I just get their stock answer "we will not process a refund until you provide this information"

A stock answer. Just phone them, explain the situation politely and say that you have taken legal and citizen advice who have told you that it will be illegal for them to not refund you. Ask to speak to a manager and explain that this is NOT usual process.

Then you have two options. Play their game and help them, or go straight to your card provider. It depends if you feel helpful or annoyed.

I would probably merge them and say that you need a refund or replacement ASAP as you need the phone now for emergencies etc, but you are willing to get the report for them but are aware it will take time, which you don't have. If they say no, then screw them. Otherwise they will continue to do it to others.
Thanks for the advise smashed, but I've tried all these avenues - the operator always claims that there is no manager present. Highly frustrating. It looks like the only option is to try claiming back on my card.. Or try & figure out how to play ball
andymagic05/03/2020 13:20

I've just been looking into a Note 8 and have read that Xiaomi have had …I've just been looking into a Note 8 and have read that Xiaomi have had very recent trouble with the courier they were using and have had to recall some orders and investigate. From what I could tell Xiaomi are taking it seriously and have changed courier.

I'd be surprised, going by their customer services how seriously they are taking this
I once ordered a phone from abroad. Redmi through Ali express I think. Paid on debit card!! It arrived thank goodness. Don’t think I’d ever take the risk again though. Don’t know what I was thinking really, got caught up in the hype of these cheap foreign phones I think
Oh gosh.. iv ordered so many Xiaomi's from eglobal, bangood and gearbest and never had a problem
Cant believe how many people are complaining about Xiaomi UK
I ordered a phone from them once, it came tracked from France. What does the tracking information say?
My advice to everyone is to buy from a UK-based retailer.
Sandy101205/03/2020 13:49

Cant believe how many people are complaining about Xiaomi UK

Do a recount then.
Yes, it's a "UK" company I thought I'd play it safe for a change (I have ordered over a hundred items from GearBest the Chinese seller with no problem whatsoever). I'm recording all calls & will report them to the trading standards authority.
I can't be the only hotukdealer to be having this problem - I'd be interested where others got to apart from claiming back on their credit card
Where’s the crime for a police report? They don’t report lost post. If you know it was stolen then they can take a theft in mail report. Just do a charge back from your credit card saves dealing with awful customer services.
Charge back end! Not your problem. Don't play along.... Just get your money back.
Alternate option. Factually put your message forward on Twitter to Xiaomi UK advising they wont refund for an item that hasnt arrived unless you can get the police to cooperate for "missing post". They wont want bad rep putting people off ordering.
heavygoodz05/03/2020 13:31

I'd be surprised, going by their customer services how seriously they are …I'd be surprised, going by their customer services how seriously they are taking this

Fair enough, I was repeating what I'd read about 5 minutes prior - no one else seems to have mentioned the courier problem (IE them nicking phones, en-route) and thought it may be helpful.
heavygoodz05/03/2020 13:59

Yes, it's a "UK" company I thought I'd play it safe for a change (I have …Yes, it's a "UK" company I thought I'd play it safe for a change (I have ordered over a hundred items from GearBest the Chinese seller with no problem whatsoever). I'm recording all calls & will report them to the trading standards authority.

Lol. It's a foreign merchant buddy, not UK-based. TS won't be able to do anything unless it has some sort of reciprocal arrangement with the merchant's country.
Lol, xiaomi uk is uk based & has uk stores here. I'm aware of xiaomi being a Chinese manufacturer. It was however a surprise to me that it shipped from the France & with such a poor customer service & delivery success
heavygoodz05/03/2020 15:10

Lol, xiaomi uk is uk based & has uk stores here. I'm aware of xiaomi being …Lol, xiaomi uk is uk based & has uk stores here. I'm aware of xiaomi being a Chinese manufacturer. It was however a surprise to me that it shipped from the France & with such a poor customer service & delivery success

They're registered in France, there is no legal UK entity.

mi.com/uk/…ms/

"1.4. Seller: Xiaomi Technology FranceMi.com, having its registered office in 253 rue Saint-Honore 75001 ParisEnergieweg 2, 5145 NW Waalwijk, Francethe Netherlands and with registration number 840 757 587 R.C.S. Paris."

Although they appear to not understand where The Netherlands is...
IamMT05/03/2020 15:23

They're registered in France, there is no legal UK …They're registered in France, there is no legal UK entity.https://www.mi.com/uk/about/terms/"1.4. Seller: Xiaomi Technology FranceMi.com, having its registered office in 253 rue Saint-Honore 75001 ParisEnergieweg 2, 5145 NW Waalwijk, Francethe Netherlands and with registration number 840 757 587 R.C.S. Paris."Although they appear to not understand where The Netherlands is...

Thanks for the info.. I stand corrected
This is not a matter for the police, items lost in the mail do constitute a crime. They will also not take a loss report as it was not you that lost the item as you have never taken possession of it.
If you have paid via your credit card then just use the chargeback facility if they are being awkward.
Not only that, you haven't had anything actually stolen, it's xioami that may have had a parcel stolen, tell them to file the police report, do a charge back on them, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it
Charge back. No need to show them any loyalty - they're not showing you any.
People saying charge back ?
How does that work ? As surely the bank wouldn't have a clue if the phone was delivered or not delivered . So how can they do a charge back ?
Just crack on with your chargeback claim & ignore their silly request.
Too be fair they basically got robbed of tons of phones by a dodgy company in France of course

Not their fault ideally you should file a police report because it was stolen,
yozzman123405/03/2020 18:56

People saying charge back ? How does that work ? As surely the bank …People saying charge back ? How does that work ? As surely the bank wouldn't have a clue if the phone was delivered or not delivered . So how can they do a charge back ?

They may have to take your word or.. they might ask for a police report to make sure you aren't lying
Depends if it's credit or debit I think
I don't get why everyone is freaking out about expecting to get a police report to prove it was stolen, banks do the same I think, depends
Edited by: "Norseg" 5th Mar
Norseg05/03/2020 19:05

They may have to take your word or.. they might ask for a police report to …They may have to take your word or.. they might ask for a police report to make sure you aren't lying Depends if it's credit or debit I thinkI don't get why everyone is freaking out about expecting to get a police report to prove it was stolen, banks do the same I think, depends

I dont think it's that simple to charge back a debit card transaction to a registered company.
I think they will want police report or proof it wasn't delivered . And especially if the transaction was over say 7 days ago ?
Not an expert so dont really know .
But seems too easy to just say do a charge back .

I dont think it's that simple to charge back a debit card transaction to a …I dont think it's that simple to charge back a debit card transaction to a registered company. I think they will want police report or proof it wasn't delivered . And especially if the transaction was over say 7 days ago ? Not an expert so dont really know . But seems too easy to just say do a charge back .

Like I said they probably will require some evidence but also what if you never received tracking information and it's not proof you got the item
They might ask to contact the police too, they probably won't even follow up on the investigation just once they confirm its legit they don't believe you're lying to the police
But I've heard of people doing fraudulent claims
Edited by: "Norseg" 5th Mar
There is a tracking timeline - it goes all the way to delivered (obviously mine doesn't). It's just from shipped to delivery that DPD take over the delivery. The cheaper of my 3orders came through really quickly - (redmi note 8). The other 2 have just stalled at the 'shipped' point
heavygoodz05/03/2020 20:54

There is a tracking timeline - it goes all the way to delivered (obviously …There is a tracking timeline - it goes all the way to delivered (obviously mine doesn't). It's just from shipped to delivery that DPD take over the delivery. The cheaper of my 3orders came through really quickly - (redmi note 8). The other 2 have just stalled at the 'shipped' point

I don't understand, why would you have too involve the police, if the courier has lost it in the way it's not been stolen at your property. Explain too them the goods are there's until you have received them and if the courier has messed up they need too contact them and if they refuse too investigate or find the missing goods then they have too report it too the police not you as it's there responsibility not the recipients unless they have proof it was delivered which they don't very odd Behaviour. If you wanted go on FB messenger and send a message too the police explaining the situation and they will probably tell you they can't do anything u less the sender or the postal company contacts them maybe that will be easier.
Complain to your MP and get them to send a letter to Xiaomi reminding them of our laws. I have managed to get refunds from difficult merchants using this approach.
andymagic05/03/2020 13:20

I've just been looking into a Note 8 and have read that Xiaomi have had …I've just been looking into a Note 8 and have read that Xiaomi have had very recent trouble with the courier they were using and have had to recall some orders and investigate. From what I could tell Xiaomi are taking it seriously and have changed courier.

They haven’t. Still shipping using Collisimo
Chargeback is the only way you’ll get anything back. They just reply with the same stock reply to report it to the Met... I repeatedly asked why the Met would be interested when they have an office in Reading, the phone was allegedly still in France and I’m outside London, no answer to that question. No answer when I asked had they contacted the courier either.

The police still wont take a crime or loss report from the OP. No crime has been committed, it has been lost in transit. The OP has never received the item so he hasn't lost it. The loser in this case is the seller, so it is they that need to file any report firstly to the parcel carrier or Royal Mail and if any crime is discovered, ie theft by Royal Mail staff then they are the ones that would file a crime report.
I note it was coming from France and is reportedly still in France, so if any offence occurred in France, then it is a French crime so needs to be reported by the seller to French police.
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 7th Mar
Item is allegedly sent with insurance so you’d imagine the fact there’s no proof of delivery would mean they can claim off that... I called my credit card company and it took about 10 minutes to get the ball rolling.
Seems very odd that multiple deliveries over the course of several months have all gone missing and they’re still using the same courier, and don’t seem bothered that the courier isn’t doing something about it.
LyallM06/03/2020 21:07

Item is allegedly sent with insurance so you’d imagine the fact there’s no …Item is allegedly sent with insurance so you’d imagine the fact there’s no proof of delivery would mean they can claim off that... I called my credit card company and it took about 10 minutes to get the ball rolling.Seems very odd that multiple deliveries over the course of several months have all gone missing and they’re still using the same courier, and don’t seem bothered that the courier isn’t doing something about it.

I think it's odd too - I wouldn't be surprised if this company just 'did one' overnight. I'm giving it one more call tomorrow (as I was told my case had been flagged to
get a call from a senior) then its on to my credit card company. Their dealings with Colissimo seem suicidal unless they're in on it too.
If it cost over £100, make a Section 75 claim against your credit card company instead of doing a chargeback. You'll be better off that way, as your rights will be enshrined in law rather than a voluntary scheme, and you won't have to waste any more time trying to sort it out with the retailer. In fact, because Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 allows you to hold the card company fully liable for the breach of contract, you don't even need to prove that you've tried to sort it out with the retailer first.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants