Groups

XMAS DAY MEAL CROWN CARVERIES RIP OFF

i have never gone out for Xmas dinner, but I appreciate that many people do. My nephew has a temporary job with them as a waiter in his few weeks off Uni.

The carvery has a good deal of £3.50-5 for meals but on Xmas day it costs about £30 a head, always going to be expensive Xmas day.

Was shocked to discover that the staff get the same rate of pay, he earned the same that day as any other. This also applied to all the other staff who are not temporary apparently. I am appalled by this. Seems they are cashing on on Xmas at the expense of the staff.

I am sure most of the customers assume that the higher charge is due to staff wages, not in this case.

Like many his age, he is just grateful for the work and the money he does manage to earn. Crown carveries, morally bankrupt IMO

39 Comments

That ' s shocking!

Part time staff don't usually get any extra money for working bank holidays. Christmas day is just like any other bank holiday. IMO your nephew has the right attitude, in this financial climate it is good just to have a job.

Before my hubby was made redundant he had to work bank holidays for no extra money, it was in his contract so he was aware of it before he started work.

Banned

public holidays.... i imagine it would all be in his contract when he signed up

some people especially casual staff are employed for this reason....you have a choice at the end of the day amd he should have asked before working if he waasnt sure

Supermod

How is it shocking? They are running a business at a difficult time. I am sure their staff do not turn up on Christmas day and then get told they are only on basic. They would have known beforehand.

Banned

Wow, your nephew had to wait on you on Christmas day.:w00t::w00t:

i worked as a weekend worker for argos and got double time most holidays...

and what about the tips????????????
    he will make a packet on them. after all its xmas....

Original Poster

He is not objecting to it, I am sure he was aware and as I said, he is grateful to be able to earn in his holidays.

My point is that there is a huge mark up from £5 to £30, part of which customers would assume is going to staff....it doesn't. That is what I find shocking.

I wouldn't assume anything about where my money went if I was to go out for a meal. The price is what I agree to pay, it's up to the company what they do with it.

You know what they say about assuming anything...

We go to the crown carvary all the time as its amazing value (and am such a rubbish cook so everyone guaranteed a good meal when we go there) We thought about going there for our christmas dinner but was fully booked when we tried. My friends went and their table of 6 left a £40 tip as the young girl couldnt do enough to make sure they were all enjoying themselves. The table next to them left a fiver on the table when they left - bit mean

Yes I agree re. it being a huge mark up - as u would think that would be to cover the staff wages that day

Original Poster

GAZUK;7340271

and what about the tips????????????he will make a packet on them. after … and what about the tips????????????he will make a packet on them. after all its xmas....

No. Carveries are not good for tips because you get your own meal. They got less in tips that day. I suppose most customers felt they had paid enough already.

I did not go out to eat Xmas day and I never will knowing that staff are treated like this

Banned

since when do stores/restaraunt prices have anything to do with staff wages?

what about the people who work in the sweat shops in asia etc.....they are paid going rate

perspective please

bossyboots;7340300

We go to the crown carvary all the time as its amazing value (and am such … We go to the crown carvary all the time as its amazing value (and am such a rubbish cook so everyone guaranteed a good meal when we go there) We thought about going there for our christmas dinner but was fully booked when we tried. My friends went and their table of 6 left a £40 tip as the young girl couldnt do enough to make sure they were all enjoying themselves. The table next to them left a fiver on the table when they left - bit meanYes I agree re. it being a huge mark up - as u would think that would be to cover the staff wages that day

It does cover staff wages, they all got paid!

I honestly don;t see what that OP's problem is, he agreed to pay for a service, and got that service at the price he had agreed to pay. the staff agreed to work for a wage, and got the wage they had agreed to work for.

iglimpse;7340283

He is not objecting to it, I am sure he was aware and as I said, he is … He is not objecting to it, I am sure he was aware and as I said, he is grateful to be able to earn in his holidays.My point is that there is a huge mark up from £5 to £30, part of which customers would assume is going to staff....it doesn't. That is what I find shocking.

You are looking at a single day in isolation. Even if the employees do not get any additional pay on that specific day, it does not mean that it isn't passed onto them in the long term either through pay or other benefits.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;7340319

You are looking at a single day in isolation. Even if the employees do … You are looking at a single day in isolation. Even if the employees do not get any additional pay on that specific day, it does not mean that it isn't passed onto them in the long term either through pay or other benefits.

Absolutely no benefits with this company.

Supermod

iglimpse;7340283

He is not objecting to it, I am sure he was aware and as I said, he is … He is not objecting to it, I am sure he was aware and as I said, he is grateful to be able to earn in his holidays.My point is that there is a huge mark up from £5 to £30, part of which customers would assume is going to staff....it doesn't. That is what I find shocking.

Was the quality and quantity of meal exactly the same?

Original Poster

casparwhite;7340306

since when do stores/restaraunt prices have anything to do with staff … since when do stores/restaraunt prices have anything to do with staff wages? what about the people who work in the sweat shops in asia etc.....they are paid going rate. perspective please

Since they change the cost for that day only.

Sweatshops in Asia.............is that how low we have sunk?

iglimpse;7340341

Absolutely no benefits with this company.

Still missing the point, they provide a job. Perhaps they can't afford to employ your nephew without high prices on Christmas Day to cover a loss to employ him at other times? Maybe they pay him above the minimum wage because of it.

Last year the group which owns Crown Cavaries made a £176 million loss, and a profit of £4 million this year. Looks like they need the money.

Original Poster

magicjay1986;7340355

Was the quality of meal exactly the same?

All products the identical, they run the same meal in the weeks before at the reduced rate..........sorry, crackers are provided on the table!!

iglimpse;7340357

Since they change the cost for that day only.Sweatshops in … Since they change the cost for that day only.Sweatshops in Asia.............is that how low we have sunk?

Now you're being silly, do you not understand how different not paying somebody more on Christmas day is compared to "sweatshops in Asia"? Dear me.

Supermod

iglimpse;7340371

All products the identical, they run the smae meal in the weeks before at … All products the identical, they run the smae meal in the weeks before at the reduced rate..........sorry, crackers are provided on the table!!

There we are then. They are worth £25 each.

Original Poster

pghstochaj;7340365

Still missing the point, they provide a job. Perhaps they can't afford to … Still missing the point, they provide a job. Perhaps they can't afford to employ your nephew without high prices on Christmas Day to cover a loss to employ him at other times? Maybe they pay him above the minimum wage because of it. Last year the group which owns Crown Cavaries made a £176 million loss, and a profit of £4 million this year. Looks like they need the money.

All staff on minimum wage only

Banned

iglimpse;7340357

Since they change the cost for that day only.Sweatshops in … Since they change the cost for that day only.Sweatshops in Asia.............is that how low we have sunk?

what companies profiting out of xmas.....ive never heard such preposterous scandalry:roll:

what are you talking about sinking low........ exactly the same principle was the point i was making.... but obviously if its nothing to do with you or your family then it shouldnt be mentioned:roll:

like i said have some perspective on the issue

I still don't get what your problem is.

You weren't ripped off, you agreed to pay the price and got what you paid for.

Your nephew agreed to work and got paid what he agreed to work for, again, no rip off.

If you paid for the meal so your nephew would get some extra money at Christmas would it not have been easier just to give him some cash in a card?

iglimpse;7340382

All staff on minimum wage only

Hence why I said maybe, and I assume you will ignore the other points? Clearly not all staff are on minimum wage anyway.

Original Poster

casparwhite;7340390

what companies profiting out of xmas.....ive never heard such … what companies profiting out of xmas.....ive never heard such preposterous scandalry:roll:what are you talking about sinking low........ exactly the same principle was the point i was making.... but obviously if its nothing to do with you or your family then it shouldnt be mentioned:roll:like i said have some perspective on the issue

I am well aware many companies only ever make a profit at Xmas which evens out the whole year. But most of those companies don't open Xmas day. If they did, I would hope they would pay the staff a higher rate if they charge more for the same product.

My perspective is that thereare terrible things that happen in the world, and you can always find something worse to compare. Yes small beer in comparison, would we ever be allowed an opinion and does that make injustice acceptable?

Banned

iglimpse;7340463

I am well aware many companies only ever make a profit at Xmas which … I am well aware many companies only ever make a profit at Xmas which evens out the whole year. But most of those companies don't open Xmas day. If they did, I would hope they would pay the staff a higher rate if they charge more for the same product.My perspective is that thereare terrible things that happen in the world, and you can always find something worse to compare. Yes small beer in comparison, would we ever be allowed an opinion and does that make injustice acceptable?

Who cares?

Banned

iglimpse;7340463

I am well aware many companies only ever make a profit at Xmas which … I am well aware many companies only ever make a profit at Xmas which evens out the whole year. But most of those companies don't open Xmas day. If they did, I would hope they would pay the staff a higher rate if they charge more for the same product.My perspective is that thereare terrible things that happen in the world, and you can always find something worse to compare. Yes small beer in comparison, would we ever be allowed an opinion and does that make injustice acceptable?

youve completely missed the point i was making.......and it wasnt about people working in sweat shope in asia, which imo adds to the economy and their standard of living

anyway let me know when youve worked it out........itll be like an epiphany:thumbsup:

Original Poster

tessb;7340398

I still don't get what your problem is. You weren't ripped off, you … I still don't get what your problem is. You weren't ripped off, you agreed to pay the price and got what you paid for. Your nephew agreed to work and got paid what he agreed to work for, again, no rip off. If you paid for the meal so your nephew would get some extra money at Christmas would it not have been easier just to give him some cash in a card?

I have stated several times, I did not go out to eat Xmas day. He worked and accepted the rate of pay.

Just trying to highlight this to people who like me, who assumed staff benefitted from the x5 rise in prices. Sadly, it seems it is normal practice now in many establishments. Still morally worng

It's a different menu.

You don't seem to have anybody agreeing with you, most people understand that a company which made a massive loss last year has to do everything it can to stay alive.

Morally wrong how? You said he was happy enough to work for the wage offered. I can;t see how this is morally wrong.

Original Poster

Like most business's they are out to make money. Lots of people work bank holidays for the same money.

Far fewer work Xmas day and business's that want the staff on that day should pay them extra.

Why is that expecting too much

Did anyone force your nephew to work there against his will?

If he knew the rate of pay in advance and agreed to work there is no issue.

Its a can of worms, I agree with what you say I would assume the higher costs would cover higher staff wages and didnt expect this to be the case!

Just because a company made a massive loss last year doesnt mean good for them that they charge so much on Christmas.

However it is expected though.

When I worked in a call centre a few years back they forced half trained employees into work just to get Christmas staff on and gave them like 48 hours notice that they had to work till like 11pm Christmas eve and 9am Christmas day and same for New Year.

ryouga;7343314

Just because a company made a massive loss last year doesnt mean good for … Just because a company made a massive loss last year doesnt mean good for them that they charge so much on Christmas.

You would rather they go out of business then?

I have no idea why one or two are treating Christmas as if it an isolated day, they don't have a separate balance sheet for Christmas and "the rest of the year". Maybe if the company had been more successful then they could afford it.

The menu was a different menu on Christmas day, not the same.

pghstochaj;7343892

You would rather they go out of business then?I have no idea why one or … You would rather they go out of business then?I have no idea why one or two are treating Christmas as if it an isolated day, they don't have a separate balance sheet for Christmas and "the rest of the year". Maybe if the company had been more successful then they could afford it.The menu was a different menu on Christmas day, not the same.

I am indifferent as its nothing to do with the company making a loss or being in credit that is just an excuse and I have never (knowingly) used the company so if it went out of business it wont affect me.

They only really charge more as they know people will pay it as its christmas and a simple menu change doesnt mean a massive mark up.

But like I say I am not bothered either way as I wouldnt of purchased a meal there anyway.

Its a general thing though as I have noticed other chains charging as much as £30 for a meal at Christmas that arent going under.

I am overdrawn at the bank, does that mean I can sell something worth £!0 for say £50 because I need the cash.

But dont take it the wrong way I dont totally care as many companies do what they can to get exttra income.

ryouga;7343953

I am indifferent as its nothing to do with the company making a loss or … I am indifferent as its nothing to do with the company making a loss or being in credit that is just an excuse and I have never (knowingly) used the company so if it went out of business it wont affect me.They only really charge more as they know people will pay it as its christmas and a simple menu change doesnt mean a massive mark up.But like I say I am not bothered either way as I wouldnt of purchased a meal there anyway.Its a general thing though as I have noticed other chains charging as much as £30 for a meal at Christmas that arent going under.I am overdrawn at the bank, does that mean I can sell something worth £!0 for say £50 because I need the cash.But dont take it the wrong way I dont totally care as many companies do what they can to get exttra income.

I think you have misunderstood, the thread is not regarding them charging £30 for a meal on Christmas day but the alleged claim that none of their employees get any more on Christmas day despite the mark up.

If you have something worth £10 you would only be able to sell it for £10 whether you were hard up or not, clearly this company has a selling point on Christmas day and the market deems the product to be worth £30 on that day (otherwise they would be empty). This company has decided, for whatever reason, not to pay their employees more on Christmas day. The market has decided that their employees are OK with this, otherwise the company would have no employees.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. £75 voucher for Argos, M&S or NEXT when you take out Life Insurance (£63.90…88
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?25
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1418
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767180

See more discussions