Groups

xp desktop freeze

right guys n gals need some help regarding my desktop that freezes on startup.
    done fresh install last Oct due to virus from hell that locked me out, but been having problems on & off since, mainly the desktop freezes on startup where the icons, start buttons etc do not work and systems takes anywhere between 2 - 5 attempts to get working properly. works fine in safe mode so i reckons its a software issue. have done chkdsk/r and uninstalled programs that i thought may be responsible (peerguardian, utorrent).
    dell dimension 5150
    xp home sp 3
    intel p4 3.4ghz
    no av, malware being detected & windows upto date
    1gb ram

3 Comments

Go to run and type 'msconfig'.

What programs do you have ticked under the start up tab?

(I don't have anything except AVG enabled on boot)

Original Poster

Go to run and type 'msconfig'.What programs do you have ticked under the … Go to run and type 'msconfig'.What programs do you have ticked under the startup tab?

here is what i have ticked.
    egui eset
    googlequicksearch
    mbamgui malwarebytes
    divxupdate
    ctfmon
    googletoolbarnotifier
    pg2
    unticked
    jusched
    strange thing is i uninstalled peerguardian and only things i had ticked previous were a/v, ctfmon and google

untick these

googlequicksearch

divxupdate
    ctfmon
    googletoolbarnotifier
    pg2

jusched

not needed.

also go into run/services.msc and see what services are set to auto startup, may be a problem there too
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767126
      2. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …2599
      3. TechInTheBasket?69
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423114453

See more discussions