XP folder size examiner

Hi

I have a 30gb C/ drivve on my laptop. For some reason i can only find 15gb of files. is there a software out there that can locate and list all folders in size order??

Thanks

8 Comments

It is one of 2 things.

YOur page file and/or temp internet files. All of which are hidden files.

Download CLeanUp install it and run it, this will get rid of temp files.

Open windows explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View (tab), select

- SHow Hidden files & folders
- Untick "hide protected operating system files"

Now you should be able to find those pesky files. However careful what you delete now as some of these files are very important

Free program called ]Treesize is very good for examining folder sizes.

Original Poster

looks like my system volume information must be holding the extra 15gb......can i access it and do i need it??

Try WinDirTreeStat ( download.com/Win…tml ) which has a really funky graphical way of showing the data on your disk.

Original Poster

Thanks all

thedon;4205056

Try WinDirTreeStat ( … Try WinDirTreeStat ( http://www.download.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html ) which has a really funky graphical way of showing the data on your disk.

^ what he said. The best program for doing this IMO :thumbsup:

For the system volume information, it's a very important folder used by System Restore...it's probably so big due to the amount of restore points you have but 20GB is a bit extreme.

You won't be able to access the folder unless you change the security permissions...but I would stronly advise against doing so.

What may help is if you disable System Restore which will delete the restore points, then re-enable it and change the settings.

You can do all that by right clicking 'My Computer' either on your Desktop or Start Menu then select 'Properties'. Choose the System Restore tab and you can turn it off by removing the tick and clicking Apply. When you re-enable, you can click the Settings button and reduce the amount of disk space usage.

support.microsoft.com/kb/…405

I'd recommend Spacemonger as it's by far the best tool I've found for analysing disk space - it presents your entire drive broken up into proportionally sized rectangles which you can then zoom in to see how they break down. The program is freeware, doesn't need to be installed and it also supports network drives:

sixty-five.cc/sm/…php

John

Johnmcl7;4207367

I'd recommend Spacemonger as it's by far the best tool I've found for … I'd recommend Spacemonger as it's by far the best tool I've found for analysing disk space - it presents your entire drive broken up into proportionally sized rectangles which you can then zoom in to see how they break down. The program is freeware, doesn't need to be installed and it also supports network drives:http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.phpJohn

There's something quite beautiful about the way it builds up its drive map. Still, I do notice that this "Windows" folder takes up rather a lot of disk space. Can't be anything useful, I think I'll delete it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764006
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??66
    3. What an absolute disgrace2157
    4. Weekly game codes giveaway 182720

See more discussions