Groups

XP OS Installation - A question - help/advice required.

My old laptop came with xp installed and has the sticker underneath with the code ofr XP Home on it.
    I need to re-install xp.
    How do I get hold of a copy to install that will recognise my code number?
    Thanks

14 Comments

You can download it from any torrent site or borrow one from a friend,you need to look for Windows XP Home OEM as this is the only one that will work,If you can find one that is also SP3 ( Service pack 3 ) it will save you having to update it after you have installed it,

tonyg1962;5642997

You can download it from any torrent site or borrow one from a friend,you … You can download it from any torrent site or borrow one from a friend,you need to look for Windows XP Home OEM as this is the only one that will work,If you can find one that is also SP3 ( Service pack 3 ) it will save you having to update it after you have installed it,

Doesn't have to be an OEM

Original Poster

thanks for that

As long as the CD you get says "XP Home" on it, it'll recognise your key. Although it should come with one.

shauneco;5643105

OEM Keys will only work with a OEM versions of windows, Strange but it is true.

forums.techarena.in/win…htm

Have you checked to see if you have a recovery partition?

shauneco;5643105

Are you really 100% sure about this ?

DragonChris;5643317

As long as the CD you get says "XP Home" on it, it'll recognise your key. … As long as the CD you get says "XP Home" on it, it'll recognise your key. Although it should come with one.

What definitely ?.

KrispiiDuck;5643371

Have you checked to see if you have a recovery partition?

I agree.

Almost all laptops and PCs come with a hidden recovery partition so you can restore Windows back to "factory settings" very easily.

Check your laptop documentation, or look it up on the companies support site on the web.

The good thing about doing a return to factory settings is that all the drivers and programs will be included in the factory reinstall..

If you do decide to do a re-install of Windows you will lose EVERYTHING on your hard disk.

IF you do an install from the OEM disk you will also need to download and install all the laptop drivers or some of the features of the laptop wont work.

Then of course you will need to reinstall all the programs you have installed since you bought it.

If you use a proper install disk to do the install your OEM key will not work with the on-line activation. However if you call up the Microsoft activation team and say that it will not activate they can convert your OEM key to a normal one that will activate as I had to do this. I just moaned that it wouldn't activate and they did it all.

martinhb;5643421

If you use a proper install disk to do the install your OEM key will not … If you use a proper install disk to do the install your OEM key will not work with the on-line activation.

This is not always true.

I have an OEM disk and have done a number of reinstalls (on the same PC) and never had a problem with online activating.

You can have a problem with activating an OEM disk if you have changed the hardware on your PC.

guilbert53;5643433

This is not always true.I have an OEM disk and have done a number of … This is not always true.I have an OEM disk and have done a number of reinstalls (on the same PC) and never had a problem with online activating.You can have a problem with activating an OEM disk if you have changed the hardware on your PC.

I think he meant a retail disk,

the__mayster;5643345

OEM Keys will only work with a OEM versions of windows, Strange but it is … OEM Keys will only work with a OEM versions of windows, Strange but it is true.http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/944273.htm

tonyg1962;5643392

Are you really 100% sure about this ?

Oops guess I'm wrong, Although I must of been using an OEM copy to install on past machines. I'd always thought it was a retail version.

Original Poster

I do have the original driver disk, etc - Thank God.

But no OS - though as I said the sticker on the underside is there with the code.

I couldn't find/ was unaware of any partition on the H/Drive

I formatted it as it has been used for 5 years odd and you now how windows machines get. i was amazed it had gone so long. It was taking 2 days to boot and a week to shut down.

It is now pretty much instant. But the OS I have installed is a 'borrowed' Retail XP and is due to expire in a week.

Cheers

Bob
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4671415
      2. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941350
      3. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow1024
      4. One for the mathmeticians1118

See more discussions