Xp to Vista (keeping my installed programmes)

Found 22nd Feb 2009
i no this is a long shot, but if i have xp installed and say wanted to install a modded xp or even vista

is there a way i can sort of migrate my installed software etc from one pc to the next

i no about images etc, but they wouldnt do it, would it ?

or is there software that i can that can tell me everything i had installed, to atleast make things easier, its just a shame there aint a simple way to upgrade with out loosing what i have on my pc etc

3 Comments

Windows has something built in called Easy Transfer (actually I think it is built in to Vista, but you have to download it for XP).

Never used it, no idea if it is any good, but it is supposed to do what you want.

More here

microsoft.com/win…spx

an update version of vista will do it but the programs may or may not be compatible, research each program you wish to keep for compatibility.

Banned

guilbert53;4456764

Windows has something built in called Easy Transfer (actually I think it … Windows has something built in called Easy Transfer (actually I think it is built in to Vista, but you have to download it for XP).Never used it, no idea if it is any good, but it is supposed to do what you want.More herehttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/easy-transfer.aspx

that is for transferring settings, not the actual programs.
maddogb;4459690

an update version of vista will do it but the programs may or may not be … an update version of vista will do it but the programs may or may not be compatible, research each program you wish to keep for compatibility.

upgrade is the way to go but tbh, I would just install a new OS clean and then re-install the vista compatible version of the programs.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best way to get to Alton towers from north west, or by train, coach etc22
    2. CEX grading68
    3. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge610
    4. Advice on selling an iPhone?67

See more discussions