Xperia XZ1 or Pixel 2?

Found 23rd Mar
Hi

I'm looking to replace my aging iPhone and am thinking of switching over to Android - specifically Xperia ZX1 or Pixel 2. Can anyone give an informed opinion as to which they would recommend?

I walked into Carphone Warehouse today, and the sales agents were touting the same tariffs for both phones (64GB):
£30 upfront
£30 monthly (2 year contract)
Unltd calls / Unltd texts / 8GB Data

Which would you recommend under the circumstances? Personally, I was going to opt for the Pixel 2, but the sales agent was pretty adamant that the XPeria ZX1 offered "better" value.

Regards
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Pixel any time.
Sony is just useless company. ZX1 was released released in september 2017.... they have preorders for ZX2 already. what does that tell you about their hardware/software support?

get Pixel 2 but not from CPW

mobiles.co.uk/goo…,-1
Original Poster
mattsk14 m ago

Pixel any time.Sony is just useless company. ZX1 was released released in …Pixel any time.Sony is just useless company. ZX1 was released released in september 2017.... they have preorders for ZX2 already. what does that tell you about their hardware/software support?get Pixel 2 but not from CPWhttps://www.mobiles.co.uk/google-pixel-2-64gb-black?tariffcode=BF1YMFEB18&giftcode=NA&filter_tariff_data[]=>=5000,-1

Really appreciate the advice...

According to Quidco, I get "£50 cashback for all other pay monthly new contract and upgrade handset sales" if I buy from CPW.

Buying from Mobiles.co.uk, I can get the same deal as CPW but the upfront cost is £0. Also, according to Quidco, I can get "£35 cashback for EE pay monthly contracts and upgrades" if I buy from Mobiles.co.uk...

Which would you go for?

Thinking of buying a new handset by the end of the weekend.
Edited by: "prankster101" 23rd Mar
prankster10127 m ago

Really appreciate the advice... According to Quidco, I get "£50 cashback …Really appreciate the advice... According to Quidco, I get "£50 cashback for all other pay monthly new contract and upgrade handset sales" if I buy from CPW.Buying from Mobiles.co.uk, I can get the same deal as CPW but the upfront cost is £0. Also, according to Quidco, I can get "£35 cashback for EE pay monthly contracts and upgrades" if I buy from Mobiles.co.uk...Which would you go for?Thinking of buying a new handset by the end of the weekend.

I know that CPW and mobiles.co.uk are basically the same but always had no problems with mobiles. This cannot be said about CPW those people are bunch of idiots.

At the end the choice is yours.
Original Poster
mattsk2 m ago

I know that CPW and mobiles.co.uk are basically the same but always had no …I know that CPW and mobiles.co.uk are basically the same but always had no problems with mobiles. This cannot be said about CPW those people are bunch of idiots.At the end the choice is yours.

Cheers dude... Just bought from Mobiles... £0 upfront, plus £35 cashback via Quidco.

That Pixel 2 replaces a 6.5 year old iPhone 4S.
mattsk12 h, 48 m ago

Pixel any time.Sony is just useless company. ZX1 was released released in …Pixel any time.Sony is just useless company. ZX1 was released released in september 2017.... they have preorders for ZX2 already. what does that tell you about their hardware/software support?

I don't know, what does a six month release schedule of new models say about support of existing models?

I can't seem to find a full list of updates on Sony's site but a quick look around the web suggests the Z5 from 2015 has had an update in the last few months. Google tend to issue three years of updates, although the last Nexus devices apparently got abandoned early.

I have an XZ1 Compact myself that I'm happy with, but then google's range was never on my radar because it's too big (and only comes in black, white or grey).
Have you worked out the price difference if you were to buy the phone outright and get a sim only deal?

A lot of the time it can work out cheaper.
Original Poster
Bigfootpete39 m ago

Have you worked out the price difference if you were to buy the phone …Have you worked out the price difference if you were to buy the phone outright and get a sim only deal? A lot of the time it can work out cheaper.

Present contract with 3 (which I cancelled today):
£10 per month for sim only contract - Unltd calls/texts + 4GB data
= £240 for 24 months

Handset = £550
550+240 = £790

Mobiles.co.uk is £30 monthly (no upfront) for 24 months. Unltd calls/text + 8GB data.
30 x 24 = £720

It's cheaper for me to go contract.
The XZ1 is widely avaIlable at £450, so you'd be paying £70 more per year for double the data.
xz2 compact is £500 on amazon, coming out 5th april, with the amazing snapdragon 845. i would recommend that.
Original Poster
Salstech5 h, 28 m ago

xz2 compact is £500 on amazon, coming out 5th april, with the amazing …xz2 compact is £500 on amazon, coming out 5th april, with the amazing snapdragon 845. i would recommend that.

I already have ordered my Pixel2, but thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions