Yankee candles? What’s that all about????

Posted 11th Dec 2019
So got my first yankee candle recently, thankfully just a small one, but what the heck are those??? The smell was awful and makes me queasy whenever I smell it!!! It’s going in the bin whenever I get the courage to pick it up and throw it in the bin... they are over powering... and bloody expensive, in my opinion, will stick with my homemade beeswax ones... maybe it’s the scent I chose? Almost biscuits or something or other, but with the reaction I’ve had with it I am not tempting to spend more money on a different one. Anyone feels the same, or is it just me?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Only good for burning.
AndyRoyd11/12/2019 19:30

Only good for burning.

Comments like that really get on my wick.

39326930-tmrYt.jpg
Don't set him off.
37 Comments
I can’t stand Yankee Candles apart from two or three of their scents. Can’t even go into their shop without feeling sick. That said, I have a number of the ones I like and they are nice to burn.
bluep11/12/2019 19:22

I can’t stand Yankee Candles apart from two or three of their scents. C …I can’t stand Yankee Candles apart from two or three of their scents. Can’t even go into their shop without feeling sick. That said, I have a number of the ones I like and they are nice to burn.

What are those? I like the idea of candles, I like tea lights, especially at this time of the year. I like vanilla scent but worries theirs might be far too strong and make me feel sick too...
LillyM11/12/2019 19:25

What are those? I like the idea of candles, I like tea lights, especially …What are those? I like the idea of candles, I like tea lights, especially at this time of the year. I like vanilla scent but worries theirs might be far too strong and make me feel sick too...

I like:
Cherries on snow (but only at Christmas time)
Black cherry

The rest make me want to throw up within about 3 seconds of smelling them. I usually like vanilla as well but theirs is strong. And the shop is so overwhelming that you can’t really concentrate on the one you are trying to smell. They do little mini melting “tartlets” that are good for trying different ones out that you think you might like though.
Only good for burning.
bluep11/12/2019 19:29

I like:Cherries on snow (but only at Christmas time)Black cherryThe rest …I like:Cherries on snow (but only at Christmas time)Black cherryThe rest make me want to throw up within about 3 seconds of smelling them. I usually like vanilla as well but theirs is strong. And the shop is so overwhelming that you can’t really concentrate on the one you are trying to smell. They do little mini melting “tartlets” that are good for trying different ones out that you think you might like though.

I don’t think there is a shop around here and it would probably have the same effect as a lush shop I think I’ll leave them though, unless I get them as presents (which I doubt as I don’t think I come across as a candle loving person ) thanks for your input though

Only good for burning.

Most candles are though, unless I have got that one completely wrong
They're just overpriced poncey nonsense. Save your money!

Only good for burning.

Comments like that really get on my wick.

39326930-tmrYt.jpg
Don't set him off.
39326950-64UMo.jpg
I totally agree with you. Most scents are awful. I prefer the glade candles.. Have a look for the glade nutcracker, it's gorgeous
fanpages11/12/2019 19:39

[Image]

Can’t read much of it... I’m defo getting old yet the little I can read is not appealing. And they use paraffin or mineral wax, as they put it...must say that put me off as much as the smell
LillyM11/12/2019 19:49

Can’t read much of it... I’m defo getting old yet the little I can read is …Can’t read much of it... I’m defo getting old yet the little I can read is not appealing. And they use paraffin or mineral wax, as they put it...must say that put me off as much as the smell

If posting on a mobile device allows you to click the image it will rescale a little.

If not, the original is here:

[ images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/ima…jpg ]

I have mine ready...

39327119-I3N8C.jpg
I have had to wait all year (as I received it as a gift last Christmas Day); it better be good!
I hope it is, would be a shame to have kept it that long and not enjoy it
fanpages11/12/2019 19:52

If posting on a mobile device allows you to click the image it will …If posting on a mobile device allows you to click the image it will rescale a little.If not, the original is here:[ https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81DjJJekYLL._SL1500_.jpg ]I have mine ready...[Image] I have had to wait all year (as I received it as a gift last Christmas Day); it better be good!

To be fair, it smells just like Christmas Eve...
nadhaw11/12/2019 19:49

I totally agree with you. Most scents are awful. I prefer the glade …I totally agree with you. Most scents are awful. I prefer the glade candles.. Have a look for the glade nutcracker, it's gorgeous

I’ll have a look at that one then, the ones I make are from beeswax and as it already has quite a strong natural scent I find that scenting them doesn’t actually work...maybe I should switch to soy wax instead and experiment, maybe just maybe one day you’ll all be raving about LilyM candles
JohnnyRoller11/12/2019 19:56

To be fair, it smells just like Christmas Eve...

Dashed hopes & cheap aftershave mixed with stale alcohol exuding from the overweight men in festive hats & not-so-amusing knitwear on their way back from the office party.

Sounds lovely.
LillyM11/12/2019 19:58

I’ll have a look at that one then, the ones I make are from beeswax and as …I’ll have a look at that one then, the ones I make are from beeswax and as it already has quite a strong natural scent I find that scenting them doesn’t actually work...maybe I should switch to soy wax instead and experiment, maybe just maybe one day you’ll all be raving about LilyM candles

Maybe just get some cheap candles from the corner shop & some scented air freshener.
fanpages11/12/2019 20:02

Dashed hopes & cheap aftershave mixed with stale alcohol exuding from … Dashed hopes & cheap aftershave mixed with stale alcohol exuding from the overweight men in festive hats & not-so-amusing knitwear on their way back from the office party.Sounds lovely.

39327346-4mVnX.jpg

39327346-ejQE0.jpg
Like either of these
LillyM11/12/2019 20:08

[Image] [Image] Like either of these

I was thinking more like this one...

39327418-FJGqj.jpg
fanpages11/12/2019 20:14

I was thinking more like this one...[Image]

Oooh I think my fellah would like one of those!!! mind you I did try to make beer scented candles, but didn’t quite managed to infuse the oil with the hops
The tea lights and votives hardly give anything off. A jar is better in small room, when you go back in a bit later, it’s noticeable for me.
ChuckTheDuck11/12/2019 20:21

The tea lights and votives hardly give anything off. A jar is better in …The tea lights and votives hardly give anything off. A jar is better in small room, when you go back in a bit later, it’s noticeable for me.

I got a votive one and the smell was overpowering so I am glad that I didn’t get a bigger one to be honest but then again it might just be the scent I chose
I've always thought that they were something that people of the lowest social-economic classes bought because they somehow, completely erroneously, associate them with being middle class.

Scratch cards, vaping, and Yankee candles. I don't think I need to draw a picture.
Edited by: "Erudite" 11th Dec 2019
Erudite11/12/2019 21:21

I've always thought that they were something that people of the lowest …I've always thought that they were something that people of the lowest social-economic classes bought because they somehow, completely erroneously, associate them with being middle class.Scratch cards, vaping, and Yankee candles. I don't think I need to draw a picture.

Well apart from the yucky candles, sounds like you’ve described me to a tee...not sure it was meant as a compliment though... ‘tis cool, I wear my low socio-economic class badge with pride
fanpages11/12/2019 20:58

"Yankee candles 50% off holiday pillar candles - From £12 Each" ( …"Yankee candles 50% off holiday pillar candles - From £12 Each" ( @Alex_Newton )

I know those candles are something in this site, not a day goes by when it doesn’t get a deal! I think my nose is either to good or not good enough to appreciate them
Erudite11/12/2019 21:21

I've always thought that they were something that people of the lowest …I've always thought that they were something that people of the lowest social-economic classes bought because they somehow, completely erroneously, associate them with being middle class.Scratch cards, vaping, and Yankee candles. I don't think I need to draw a picture.

jimmy_the_fridge11/12/2019 22:07

Comment deleted

Troll off elsewhere, etc.
Try Jo Malone candles.

Make sure you're sat down before looking at prices - the luxury ones cost the same as a (very) nice bottle of single malt!
MrKrabs11/12/2019 23:03

Try Jo Malone candles.Make sure you're sat down before looking at prices - …Try Jo Malone candles.Make sure you're sat down before looking at prices - the luxury ones cost the same as a (very) nice bottle of single malt!

Just had a look, think I’d rather a bottle of single malt instead 😁 also alarming articles about paraffin wax so I’ll order some soy wax soon and start with my little enterprise instead
MrKrabs11/12/2019 23:03

Try Jo Malone candles.Make sure you're sat down before looking at prices - …Try Jo Malone candles.Make sure you're sat down before looking at prices - the luxury ones cost the same as a (very) nice bottle of single malt!

jimmy_the_fridge11/12/2019 23:17

Comment deleted

MrKrabs11/12/2019 23:19

As Whisky? No.

As Jo Malone?
LillyM11/12/2019 19:32

I don’t think there is a shop around here and it would probably have the s …I don’t think there is a shop around here and it would probably have the same effect as a lush shop I think I’ll leave them though, unless I get them as presents (which I doubt as I don’t think I come across as a candle loving person ) thanks for your input though

How does a candle loving person come across? I'm curious
notalwaysright1912/12/2019 00:55

How does a candle loving person come across? I'm curious

I suppose I don’t go on about interior design and have tons of candles around, which I’d think someone who likes candles a lot would do... I dunno... I think you got me there
LillyM12/12/2019 07:22

I suppose I don’t go on about interior design and have tons of candles a …I suppose I don’t go on about interior design and have tons of candles around, which I’d think someone who likes candles a lot would do... I dunno... I think you got me there

I didn't know I was a candle loving person until someone gave me one as a present. I got hooked after that.

I recently bought a few from ikea. I find that you have to burn them for a good 2 hours or more to get a good smell out of it but once it gets going it's nice. Cozy.
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 12th Dec 2019
LillyM11/12/2019 19:33

Most candles are though, unless I have got that one completely wrong …Most candles are though, unless I have got that one completely wrong

I keep candles for lubricating jamming zips and for rubbing on saw blades, wouldn't burn a candle in the house though, too much of a fire risk (already been through one) and they leave wax and soot deposits over the walls and ceilings that are a nuisance when decorating. Besides, I prefer the smell of fresh air.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Dec 2019
melted12/12/2019 13:23

I keep candles for lubricating jamming zips and for rubbing on saw blades, …I keep candles for lubricating jamming zips and for rubbing on saw blades, wouldn't burn a candle in the house though, too much of a fire risk (already been through one) and they leave wax and soot deposits over the walls and ceilings that are a nuisance when decorating. Besides, I prefer the smell of fresh air.

Strong user name though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions