Yanny or Laurel?

Found 16th May
Right miscaholics, this has been doing the rounds on tinternet about what you hear. I can hear Yanny but wife and kids hear Laurel.
What do you hear?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
33811024-15jOf.jpg
My sister died yesterday after being hit by a bus.

I called out to warn her, but it seems she just didn't hear me.

RIP Yanny.
50 Comments
Haven't got a clue what you are talking about... Not sure that I want to be enlightened either.
Sausage
mrty6 m ago

Haven't got a clue what you are talking about... Not sure that I want to …Haven't got a clue what you are talking about... Not sure that I want to be enlightened either.

33809911-Eo5hO.jpg
That one is different to the one I heard earlier that said Laurel. That says Yanny.
I can hear both. But before I was told what people were hearing I could hear something completely different (can remember what tho). So it’s all subjective and can be changed by expectations.
Saw this a while ago, I only hear Laurel while my wife (same age) and my mum both heard Yanny(or something similar)

-removed incorrect bits
Edited by: "athunder" 16th May
Laurel and Hardy.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 16th May
athunder15 m ago

Saw this a while ago, I only hear Laurel while my wife (same age) and my …Saw this a while ago, I only hear Laurel while my wife (same age) and my mum both heard Yanny(or something similar)Supposed to be about your age/hearing and the tones (older people can't hear high pitch tones)So older people should hear something like Yanny while younger would hear Laurel

I'm nearly and hear laurel so what do you define as 'older'?
Shengis16th May

I'm nearly and hear laurel so what do you define as 'older'?

everyones hearing will vary, as you get older you lose the ability to hear higher pitch sounds
my wife is 4 days younger than me (39), have actually done similar test before and I could hear higher pitched sounds then too

that's why some shops had some high pitch noise devices to try deter young people for hanging around
Laurel!
athunder8 m ago

everyones hearing will vary, as you get older you lose the ability to hear …everyones hearing will vary, as you get older you lose the ability to hear higher pitch soundsmy wife is 4 days younger than me (39), have actually done similar test before and I could hear higher pitched sounds then toothat's why some shops had some high pitch noise devices to try deter young people for hanging around

Actually, it's apparently the other way round. If you can hear higher frequencies, you'll hear 'Yanny', if you can't, you'll hear 'Laurel'. If you're able to hear both high and low frequencies, you'll be able to switch between what you hear.

See here.
Laurel
Laurel
PhoenixRising8 m ago

Actually, it's apparently the other way round. If you can hear higher …Actually, it's apparently the other way round. If you can hear higher frequencies, you'll hear 'Yanny', if you can't, you'll hear 'Laurel'. If you're able to hear both high and low frequencies, you'll be able to switch between what you hear.See here.

oh, maybe right, think i mis-read
must be getting old
athunder3 m ago

not according to where I saw itLars Riecke, an assistant professor of …not according to where I saw itLars Riecke, an assistant professor of audition and cognitive neuroscience at Maastricht University offered a simple explanation for the confusion."He said the older you get, the larger the chance you lose hearing in your higher frequencies.That may be why younger people around you may hear “Yanny”, while others hear “Laurel.” That, or some people have impeccable hearing.would make more sense as my mum in her late 60's could hear Yanny

I don't disagree with you regarding the frequencies vs age part. However, the link I posted clearly shows that they Yanny part is at the higher frequency whereas the Laurel part is low frequency.
People will hear what they wanna hear man.
People are mucking about with this. In the link above it is clearly Laurel, what is allegedly the same link with the same pic on the BBC website I clearly hear yanny. And in the post lower on the bbc with the comparison it's both. Someone is playing silly b*ggers.

Edit: what the hell, both me and the wife could initially only hear yanny, now both of us can only hear Laurel... Wtf?

Further edit: when the clips played directly on the bbc without direction to twitter I could hear yanny, so it probably has as much to do with how the audio file is played and by what rather than our ears.

Final edit: I've closed the browser and now it's playing natively on the bbc site again so my wife can hear yanny again. I can't so I can only summarise that I've broken my ears/brain. Thanks internet.
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 16th May
Yanny.
I heard Laurel. Other half and my daughter swear it's yanny!
Its "Yearly" as anyone who has listened to it will know . Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their ears dewaxing
Edited by: "rogparki" 16th May
Causing major dispute here now! Thanks op!
I hear Yanny. Can't see how it would be Laurel :/.

I am 31 so I'm not old yet
Edited by: "hearts22" 16th May
I do have a stonking cold at the moment if that makes any difference?
Now I hear Laurel
33811024-15jOf.jpg
Ok, now I can hear both at the same time. It's very weird
PhoenixRising3 h, 0 m ago

Actually, it's apparently the other way round. If you can hear higher …Actually, it's apparently the other way round. If you can hear higher frequencies, you'll hear 'Yanny', if you can't, you'll hear 'Laurel'. If you're able to hear both high and low frequencies, you'll be able to switch between what you hear.See here.

True, I can switch between both. I heard Yanny first but when I tried to hear Laurel I did.
Am I the only one that heard...

33811460-TCHUV.jpg

My son gave me this to listen to last night and I heard "yerry" not yanny or laurel .. no matter how many times I listed to it was still the same!

But tbh ....

IDGAF
Call it Laurel and the next one Hardy. Lol
My sister died yesterday after being hit by a bus.

I called out to warn her, but it seems she just didn't hear me.

RIP Yanny.
It sounds to me like: "Hail Satan"
dorey6913 h, 25 m ago

[Image]

I think your right. I saw this elsewhere this morning and heard Yanny, this one sounds like Laurel. I think we are being deceived.
Lat night I heard Yanny, this morning I heard Laurel and now it's back to Yanny, so tried it on my phone and it's Yanny.
It's Yanny or if you've got selective hearing it's Laurel.
.MUFC.1 h, 14 m ago

It's Yanny or if you've got selective hearing it's Laurel.

Considering the original recording is Laurel.
So it seems older people actually have better hearing? Maybe that's why I can't listen to Radio 1 any more
I heard this on the radio yesterday and it sounded like yanny, heard it again on the telly this morning and it was laurel. Just clicked the Twitter link above, and it was yanny again.
Edited by: "tamoil" 17th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants